Nowegian Cruise Lines bumps booked passengers for Rosie O'Donnell

kahskye

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.tmz.com/search/?q=rosie+

Rosie – Cruise Snafu Not My Fault!

Rosie O'Donnell is defending herself after a cruise ship she chartered for a gay-and-lesbian voyage bumped a whole boatload of vacationers that had already booked passage, including one sick teen and 50 of her nearest and dearest celebrating her sweet sixteen.

The Norwegian Cruise Lines ship was commandeered by O'Donnell for a trip July 7-14, reports the New York Daily News, and as a result, hundreds of non-Rosie-affiliated vacationers were told last week that they had been thrown overboard, their vacation plans dashed. Jessica DeGonzague, a young girl who suffers from lupus, wanted to celebrate her 16th birthday on board the ship, and had been planning the trip for 50 for almost a year -- and now they can't go. The company, for its part, offered displaced passengers a $50 onboard credit, and Rosie's rep said, "It's not Rosie's fault. This is an old issue."

kahskye said:
http://www.tmz.com/search/?q=rosie+

Rosie – Cruise Snafu Not My Fault!

Rosie O'Donnell is defending herself after a cruise ship she chartered for a gay-and-lesbian voyage bumped a whole boatload of vacationers that had already booked passage, including one sick teen and 50 of her nearest and dearest celebrating her sweet sixteen.

The Norwegian Cruise Lines ship was commandeered by O'Donnell for a trip July 7-14, reports the New York Daily News, and as a result, hundreds of non-Rosie-affiliated vacationers were told last week that they had been thrown overboard, their vacation plans dashed. Jessica DeGonzague, a young girl who suffers from lupus, wanted to celebrate her 16th birthday on board the ship, and had been planning the trip for 50 for almost a year -- and now they can't go. The company, for its part, offered displaced passengers a $50 onboard credit, and Rosie's rep said, "It's not Rosie's fault. This is an old issue."

Shame on Norwegian Cruise Lines. Rosie didn't "commandeer" the ship. NORWEIGIN failed to honor their word to those who had previously booked passage. Shame on them.

This happens all the time with cruise lines. We just went on a HAL cruise and the week before us was a charter (Olivia). Olivia chartered the ship after others had booked cabins. HAL was really bad about telling people they were going to have to find another date to cruise.

I belong to a cruise forum, and several people found out about this when they did a "roll call" to find out if any other posters were going to be on their cruise. Someone who was from the Olivia cruise told them that unless they booked with Olivia, they weren't going to be on this particular cruise. Several people went round and round with HAL and their TA's only to find out this was indeed a fact.

Sadly, this bumping is covered in the contract you sign. They have you over a barrel. If you read the contract, this won't jump out at you, but it's there. That's why they can pull this. My TA told me that Norweigin is really bad about this. I was really shocked how common this is within the cruise industry.

That being said...our cruise on HAL was the most wonderful experience we've had on a vacation. Complete and total pampering! It was so hard to re-enter the real world!

I meant to add that just because this sort of thing is covered in the contract, I think it stinks. They do usually give you something for the time and trouble of making airline changes, and hotel...but many times it's not enough to cover all the charges.

Also, some people are locked into specific weeks of vacation. I remember when we first were married, I worked for a company that required us to put in our vacation weeks a year in advance. Once they were set, and aproved, no one was able to change them. So this could be a real problem if a cruise line pulls something like this.

luvbeaches said:
I meant to add that just because this sort of thing is covered in the contract, I think it stinks. They do usually give you something for the time and trouble of making airline changes, and hotel...but many times it's not enough to cover all the charges.

Also, some people are locked into specific weeks of vacation. I remember when we first were married, I worked for a company that required us to put in our vacation weeks a year in advance. Once they were set, and aproved, no one was able to change them. So this could be a real problem if a cruise line pulls something like this.
That is what I was thinking... what about the people who have to put in for vacation a year in advance.

Come on, certainly someone like Rosie can plan in advance too and she shouldnt use her celebrity status to screw the little guys. That blows.

Well, if Rosie really wants to defend herself, she should cancel her cruise and let the original passengers have their spots back - even if it wasn't her fault they got bumped. I wouldn't even want to be on that cruise anymore if I was her. Surely it isn't that hard to find a cruise that still has enough openings for her amount of people...

Just one more reason for me to dislike the brassy broad -- as if I needed one. :sick:

I think that it stinks that NCL would do this however I really don't see where it is such a big deal. When I first read it, I thought that it was done at the last minute and that no one would be able to book another cruise. The cruise is not until July 7th. I cannot understand why anyone would not be able to book a crusie on another ship with that much time. Shouldn't be a problem matching it up with flights if they were already booked too. Maybe I'm missing something. Does anyone know what port they were to sail out of? It might take a little research but I really can't understand why it couldn't be done.

Shadow205 said:
I think that it stinks that NCL would do this however I really don't see where it is such a big deal. When I first read it, I thought that it was done at the last minute and that no one would be able to book another cruise. The cruise is not until July 7th. I cannot understand why anyone would not be able to book a crusie on another ship with that much time. Shouldn't be a problem matching it up with flights if they were already booked too. Maybe I'm missing something. Does anyone know what port they were to sail out of? It might take a little research but I really can't understand why it couldn't be done.
The one girl had been planning this cruise for a year... fifty people are going to be there with her... that's a big deal to change plans for and book another cruise etc.

I say let Rosie do the rebooking.

JanetElaine said:
Well, if Rosie really wants to defend herself, she should cancel her cruise and let the original passengers have their spots back - even if it wasn't her fault they got bumped. I wouldn't even want to be on that cruise anymore if I was her. Surely it isn't that hard to find a cruise that still has enough openings for her amount of people...
How is Rosie supposed to know until after the fact? Her reps probably booked a block of rooms like any other group; these were sold to Rosie's group in advance (probably a year or so because this is a yearly thing for her); checked them and gave them the rooms. I'm sure that when they did check in Rosie's group individually they didn't say "hey by the way we're bumping people to put you on". This would have been an impossible thing for Rosie to know about, since the cruise line doesn't give you notice when they're bumping you, they wouldn't be giving Rosie any notice that people were being bumped.

Those DUMB Norwegians :rolleyes:EUFTAMETA ! :D Scandi

It's a good thing I'm 51% Swedish ;}

You can't hold celebrities responsible for everything that happens even if you don't like them. This is the cruise lines responsiblity and no one elses.

As for Rosie. If her she cancels her trip then she has a lot of people on her end disgruntled. I would not be surprised to hear that she has booked or paid for a cruise for this kid and her friends after this. One problem with that though, if she does it just for the kid and not the others on the cruise then they will be pissed and bad mouthing her in the press. At this point, eh, what can she do?

Who booked the cruise first? It would make sense that whoever was booked first should be the ones to keep their reservations...

Ah, but see the cruise lines don't work that way. They make their own rules, kinda like the airlines.

My guess in this case would be they had a pretty full boat, but it was not completely full, someone else comes along and wants to book the whole boat and the first folks get tossed overboard. The cruise line ain't gonna want to sail with a not quite full ship when it can fill the whole thing and make more moola.

Oh, and the cruse lines is a money making biz and I do not hold anything against them for making it, I just think sometimes the bottom line is the only thing business look at and they is just not the way to run a business. IMO

Shadow205 said:
When I first read it, I thought that it was done at the last minute and that no one would be able to book another cruise. The cruise is not until July 7th. I cannot understand why anyone would not be able to book a crusie on another ship with that much time. Shouldn't be a problem matching it up with flights if they were already booked too. Maybe I'm missing something. Does anyone know what port they were to sail out of? It might take a little research but I really can't understand why it couldn't be done.
I just know is that w/ my dh's job, he has to submit his vacation time in up to a year in advance, so this would be a problem to reschedule. I just feel bad for the girl trying to celebrate her b-day and I'd think Rosie would have some compassion for her.

kahskye said:
I just know is that w/ my dh's job, he has to submit his vacation time in up to a year in advance, so this would be a problem to reschedule. I just feel bad for the girl trying to celebrate her b-day and I'd think Rosie would have some compassion for her.
I asked if anyone knew what port they were to sail out of for a reason. If it were say, Miami. There would be other ships sailing on that day. There are from most ports. The point that I was trying to make was it shouldn't be that hard to reschedule for the same dates on a different ship. That would not interfere with anyones preset vacations.
My hubby and I got bumped on the Grand Princess once but the cruise line definitely made it worth it for us to delay leaving by one week. We got an upgrade to an owners suite that was out of this world plus $500 ship board credit.

czechmate7 said:
Who booked the cruise first? It would make sense that whoever was booked first should be the ones to keep their reservations...
That's exactly why I'm saying Rosie should rebook. I don't care who she is - famous or not, Rosie or not, she was the last to book. If it had been the other way around I'd have said the same thing - has nothing to do with liking Rosie or not (personally I don't have an opinion one way or another 'cause I've never watched her and barely know who she is, anyway). And if the cruise lines don't work that way, then maybe it's time for some people to stand up to their weird ways.

luvbeaches said:
We just went on a HAL cruise and the week before us was a charter (Olivia).

Who's HAL? Who's Olivia? I know who Rosie is, though... a big ole fat cow with an even bigger mouth.

:laugh:
ISPTRAX said:
Who's HAL? Who's Olivia? I know who Rosie is, though... a big ole fat cow with an even bigger mouth.
I wasn't gonna say that but that's really all I know, and ever need to know, about her... LOL

JanetElaine said:
That's exactly why I'm saying Rosie should rebook. I don't care who she is - famous or not, Rosie or not, she was the last to book. If it had been the other way around I'd have said the same thing - has nothing to do with liking Rosie or not (personally I don't have an opinion one way or another 'cause I've never watched her and barely know who she is, anyway). And if the cruise lines don't work that way, then maybe it's time for some people to stand up to their weird ways.
It's not likely that the booking agent told her that people would have to bumped in order to accomodate her.

ISPTRAX, I think saying you don't like her would suffice rather than calling her names.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back