Child Safety Tips

Doyle...just read this on google news.
Edited to add: There were people 300 ft away from where she was abducted.
Oh how I wish she had screamed.@
xxxxxxxxxxxxxo
mama

Abduction Expert Warns Kids To Scream First, Ask Questions Later

The case of Carlie Brucia's abduction and murder is a tragic reminder of how easy it is for a predator to snatch a child. As WAVE 3's Frances Kuo reports, Carlie's death also serves as a grim reminder of how important it is to take steps to keep our children from becoming a statistic.

The news of Carlie's death spread quickly to students at Phyllis Wheatley Elementary School. And 11-year-old Reggie Burns is well aware of the potential that she could be abducted at any time. "They can just come out of nowhere and take you," she says. "You don't know where they are."

Teachers say Reggie's classmate, 11-year-old Chizvest Summers, is one of the toughest kids in the neighborhood. So they were shocked to hear he's now scared to walk home from school. "When I hear about stuff, people snatching people, it scares me," he says.

Donnie Morris makes it his mission to let children know the danger of strangers, sometimes even using magic to illustrate a hard life lesson. "A stranger will pick them up and take them and put them in a car and make them disappear."

And Morris says it's easier than parents may think. Morris participated in a WAVE 3 investigation in 1998. With the permission of parents, he demonstrated how easy it is for a stranger to prey on innocent children.

Unfortunately, it's too late for Carlie Brucia. As Morris reviews the surveillance tape showing her abductor leading her away, he comments: "Right here, when she realized that he was a stranger, someone she didn't know, she should've broke loose and ran back the other way, yelled, screamed, hollered. Those kind of techniques could've possibly saved her life."

xxxxxooo
mama

I agree with the yelling and screaming but it is not always easy to break free. I took a self defense course and if you cannot break free then you should sit down. Make yourself as heavy and tied to the ground as you can, then use your feet and legs to kick with everythink you have. Aim for the knees.

Scream and yell as much as you can.

All children should be taught this. All adults should know how to protect themselves as well.

http://www.nbc6.net/family/2828033/detail.html

BSO Offers 10 Tips For Preventing Child Abduction
http://www.nbc6.net/family/2828033/detail.html
The kidnapping and murder of 11-year-old Carlie Brucia has again placed a spotlight on child safety and preventing child abduction. According to the Broward Sheriff's Office, there are steps parents can take to help keep children safe from predators:

Teach your child(ren) your address and phone number, including the area code. Instruct your child(ren) on how to use the telephone to call home, the police department and, in an emergency, 911.

Keep an updated file on your child, including a photograph and physical description. If your child is under two years of age, you should update the information at least four times each year.

Pay close attention to the clothing your child is wearing each day and never display your child's name on his/or clothes or books. Children will often respond to strangers who call them by name.

Make sure your child knows what to do should you become separated in a public place. Your child should immediately make a report to a facility employee and should not attempt to search for you.

Select a secret code word that only you and your child know. Tell your child never to go with anyone who does not know this code.

Keep a set of your child's footprints, fingerprints and dental records.

Leave instructions with your child's school to notify you immediately if he/she is absent and provide them with written information on which people are authorized to pick your child up after school.

Educate your children on the many tactics used by abductors to lure them away. Teach them to immediately leave the area if a stranger is present. If your child is grabbed, instruct your child to yell "fire" (or "stranger") People are more likely to respond to those shouts than to cries of "help."

Survey the recreation and school routes your child uses. Point out any dangerous areas such as vacant lots, alleyways, busy streets, etc.

Teach your child what to do should he/she be followed.

Join or organize a "safe home" program with your neighbors to establish secure homes where your children can go for help.

Source: Broward Sheriff's Office. Florida

xxxxxxxo
mama

Great information for all to learn.

I do have a problem with the secret codes. I find that dangerous as well.. why would you want your child asking a stranger what the code is.. IT'S TO LATE BY THEN.. THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN SCREAMING, AND RUNNING ALREADY..!! I would never have such a code.. TIME IS WHAT THE PREDITORS ARE LOOKING FOR.. HAVING A CHILD TALK TO THEM IS JUST PLAIN CRAZY TO ME..!! :eek: They should know before hand..something is wrong.. I'm in trouble turn, run, screaming, to the streets.. house, building.. just run, run, run...!!

Communicate commonsense to your children.. Why would I ever give a stranger a code to pick them up.. never, never, never...NOT GOING TO HAPPEN IN MY FAMILY..!! Proper channels would be used to notify them of any problems with me, or a family member..!! COMMONSENSE FOLK.. THINK!! TALK.. SHOW, YOUR KIDS WHAT CAN HAPPEN.. AWARENESS IS EVERYTHING.. HIND SIGHT IS 20/20...

YES I'M ANGRY.. WE NEED TO WORK TOGETHER BETTER TO PROTECT CHILDREN..!!

OK while I'm on a RANT.. take those dumb bumper stickers off your cars that state "MY JOHNNY OR SUZIE IS A HONOR STUDENT AT SUCH AND SUCH SCHOOL" or just add now all your PERVERTS, SICKOS, AND KILLERS... Know exactly where they are MOST MONDAY'S THRU FRIDAY'S. Oh and now you also have a topic for conversation to LURE THEM..!! :razz:

COMMONSENSE FOLKS.. YOU HAVE IT USE IT..!! WE MUST PROTECT OUR KIDS BETTER.. WE MUST THINK, BEFORE WE PUT THEM IN THE CARE OF OTHERS ALWAYS..!! LOOK FOR RED FLAGS.. PLEASE..!!

Also never let your child put their name in big letters on anything. Not on their bikes, backpacks, t-shirts, jeans, NOTHING.

It has been shown time and again that when someone calls the child by their name the child is much more likely to go with them.

This goes for License plates when they are older too. Rapists use this information to get you to stop. Once stopped, it is hard to get away.

Give your kids Karate/self defense classes. My seven year old girl can break the grip seen on that video (and nearly break the other person's wrist doing it)

My kids' rule number one: Don't let anyone you don't know get close to you. If you see someone coming towards you, RUN! No matter what they say.

Rule number two: Get loose at any cost. Scream, yell, fight. Then RUN! (I've never told them, but I'd rather have them dead right there, than who knows where, suffering who knows what, and dead eventually anyway-but that's me, I don't expect anyone else to agree with me)

Rule number three: Never go anywhere with anyone, known or not, without express permission from me. Only family members will pick you up in an emergency (not everyone has this luxury, unfortunately)

There are a lot of great techniques to get loose from a grip. A good Karate instructor will teach those to your children.

Realistically, your child is in far more danger from her own male family members and neighbors than she is from strangers who happen to notice her name on her backpack. Stranger abductions, scary as they are, are but a tiny proportion of crimes against children.

IMO, teaching kids to obey adults they know (teachers, friends' parents, uncles) without question is a very bad idea. I think it's also a mistake to stress to kids not to "make a scene" in public. Kids process info differently than adults, and they may generalize these instructions so that they don't act effectively against predators.

As for stranger danger, the trick is to raise kids to be street smart without turning them into neurotic, fearful little messes. My aunt tried to impress my mother with stories of men lurking in movie theatres with hypdermic needles, ready to drug her and haul her off to a life of white slavery. The scenario was so unlikely that my mother not only ignored it, she didn't give much credence to any warnings from her sister. The net result was that my mother was all the more vulnerable.

:clap: :clap: MAXI,

As always your hit the nail on the head..!! :) Excellent point about family members. :clap:

You just have to keep communicating with your kids when these awful events happen.. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, AWARENESS IS KEY...Give them the knowledge to protect themselve, and be street smart as you say..!! ;)

We parents have to use our commonsense as well. We have the resposibility to keep all kids trusted to us safe. Be it a sleepovers, soccer games, movies, all the rest.. !! WE ARE THEIR CARETAKERS.. DO JUST THAT.. GET THEM TO AND FROM YOUR HOME, MOVIE, FIELD SAFELY AND HOME TO THEIR PARENTS...!! :D

NO TRICK CODES ARE NEEDED.. JUST GOOD JUDGEMENT... TEACH YOUR KIDS THAT, AND A FEW TIPS ON HOW TO RUN, SCREAM, KICK, HIT.. AND PRACTICE IT.. THEY WILL REMEMBER..!! :clap: :clap:

CARLA said:
Great information for all to learn.

I do have a problem with the secret codes. I find that dangerous as well.. why would you want your child asking a stranger what the code is.. IT'S TO LATE BY THEN.. THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN SCREAMING, AND RUNNING ALREADY..!! I would never have such a code.. TIME IS WHAT THE PREDITORS ARE LOOKING FOR.. HAVING A CHILD TALK TO THEM IS JUST PLAIN CRAZY TO ME..!! :eek: They should know before hand..something is wrong.. I'm in trouble turn, run, screaming, to the streets.. house, building.. just run, run, run...!!

I think the code in my case when I was younger was used with someone I knew. A relative, minister, neighbor. it is just another step in prevention.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back