Maglite

Solace

Reaction score
I am looking at pictures of the Maglite. I do not see a rectangular piece on the front end where the light comes out. What part of the flashlight does Dr. Spitz say fits perfectly into the rectangular wound.

Appreciate any help.

Well, if it is similar to the one i have, the end near the bulb is enlarged and round. I assumed that the diameter of the flashlight was similar to the diameter of the beginning of the crack in her skull. On another note, I believe this could have been the murder weapon. The flashlight i have is quite heavy,steal and takes 4 "c" batteries i believe. Quite heavy enough to do some damage..

A police issue maglite as what has been described in the Ramsey case in 1996 was a 6D flashlight.

Also I'm reading posts where the flashlight was supposed to be rubber coated??

Maglite does not make rubber coated flashlights. It has a rubber switch and a grip in the center of the stem but not rubber coated. Can someone direct me to a link that depicts a rubber-coated flashlight?

http://www.maglite.com/history.asp

Solace said:
I am looking at pictures of the Maglite. I do not see a rectangular piece on the front end where the light comes out. What part of the flashlight does Dr. Spitz say fits perfectly into the rectangular wound.

Appreciate any help.

Solace,

I don't remember reading anywhere that Spitz specifically said that something on the flashlight fitted into the rectangular piece of displaced bone in JonBenet's skull. I think Spitz simply said that the flashlight fitted the skull fracture and he let it go at that.

BlueCrab

Credence said:
A police issue maglite as what has been described in the Ramsey case in 1996 was a 6D flashlight.

Also I'm reading posts where the flashlight was supposed to be rubber coated??

Maglite does not make rubber coated flashlights. It has a rubber switch and a grip in the center of the stem but not rubber coated. Can someone direct me to a link that depicts a rubber-coated flashlight?

http://www.maglite.com/history.asp

Credence,

Just to keep the record straight, the Ramsey's Mag-lite found on the kitchen counter was a 3-cell flashlight, black in color, all-aluminum body, and used D batteries. It was not rubber coated.

BlueCrab

BlueCrab said:
Solace,

I don't remember reading anywhere that Spitz specifically said that something on the flashlight fitted into the rectangular piece of displaced bone in JonBenet's skull. I think Spitz simply said that the flashlight fitted the skull fracture and he let it go at that.

BlueCrab
..he specifically said it fit perfectly into the skull fracture.

JMO8778 said:
..he specifically said it fit perfectly into the skull fracture.
Thanks for all your replies. I found this in an interview:

.WS: Because it fits right into the ....?.. It doesn't fit into the defect where it leaves some area to play with. It fits perfectly.

I did some more research. He is referring to the off/on switch on the Maglite. He also did tests and the resulting injury was identical to JonBenet's. I always believed Steve Thomas' theory that she was thrown against something. But this wound is just devastating.

Solace said:
Thanks for all your replies. I found this in an interview:

.WS: Because it fits right into the ....?.. It doesn't fit into the defect where it leaves some area to play with. It fits perfectly.

I did some more research. He is referring to the off/on switch on the Maglite. He also did tests and the resulting injury was identical to JonBenet's. I always believed Steve Thomas' theory that she was thrown against something. But this wound is just devastating.
it is..I have a hard time beleiving it was an accident...to me,it looks like she was specifically hit with an object,with intent to kill(scroll to bottom pic):

http://zyberzoom.com/JonBenet.html

JMO8778 said:
it is..I have a hard time beleiving it was an accident...to me,it looks like she was specifically hit with an object,with intent to kill(scroll to bottom pic):

http://zyberzoom.com/JonBenet.html
JMO, Beyond horrific.

I have a question. What is the point of origin. Is it in the back of her head, the side of her head. To the left of the screen appears to be a form of an ear. This is horrible. But I cannot tell whether she was hit on the side of her head or the back of her head or the front. I do not believe it was the front of her head. I thought it was the back and the resulting crack went to the beginnings of the bridge of her nose. I really remember reading that. Can you help me?

BlueCrab said:
Credence,

Just to keep the record straight, the Ramsey's Mag-lite found on the kitchen counter was a 3-cell flashlight, black in color, all-aluminum body, and used D batteries. It was not rubber coated.

BlueCrab
OK thanks. Most police officers use the 6D ones and since it was described similarly I thought it was. But I know I can't find a rubber one. The only mention of rubber is the switch and there's a textured grip in the middle of the stem.

Solace said:
JMO, Beyond horrific.

I have a question. What is the point of origin. Is it in the back of her head, the side of her head. To the left of the screen appears to be a form of an ear. This is horrible. But I cannot tell whether she was hit on the side of her head or the back of her head or the front. I do not believe it was the front of her head. I thought it was the back and the resulting crack went to the beginnings of the bridge of her nose. I really remember reading that. Can you help me?
I think I recall reading that too;I don't know,but from the looks of it,(any opinions out there?) I'm guessing someone was standing in front of her with the flashlight,she was hit slightly off-center with it,(twds the back of the skull),and maybe at least part of the resulting fracture was from the FL handle?

Solace said:

Appreciate any help.
I asked D. England this too a while back. Excerpt from his reply:
However, considering all of the physics even in
general, the limited head of a flashlight with protrusions concentrating the
force and sorely limiting energy distribution could not possibly account for
the dislodged skull fragment in conjunction with extensive fracture lines in
severity and distance. For that much energy to be distributed over that much
area of a dome without lacerating the scalp, the object of contact could not
have had anything even remotely resembling a cutting edge. A heavy, flat
cutting board is a possibility. So is a heavy iron skillet. However, in
weighing all the variables, the highest probability, is that the head was
not struck with a moving object, rather a moving head struck a stationery
object of a flat, or nearly flat surface.
It appears to have been blunt force trauma which caused the injury, since any sharp object would have lacerated the scalp.

rashomon said:
I asked D. England this too a while back. Excerpt from his reply:
It appears to have been blunt blunt force trauma which caused the injury, since any sharp object would have lacerated the scalp.
then why the hole in her skull? it doesn't make any sense to me.

JMO8778 said:
then why the hole in her skull? it doesn't make any sense to me.

JMO8778,

The rectangular displaced bone in the skull measured 1 3/4" by 1/2", and was on the right side of the skull just behind and above the ear. The elongated rectangular hole was in the same direction and a part of the 8 1/2" crack in the skull. The crack extended from the mid lower back of the skull, across the right side of the skull, to the right eyebrow.

The 1 3/4" by 1/2" hole was the obvious point of impact on the rounded skull and therefore took the brunt of the hit, knocking out the bone at that point. The elongated displaced bone fitted the physical damage a baseball bat would inflict. The powerful hit split the skull in two and I doubt the leverage from a 12" long flashlight could have been mustered to cause that much damage.

IMO the weapon was one of the two aluminum baseball bats found in the yard.

BlueCrab

I think D. England has it right, the most likely cause was her head hitting an immovable object. If it was the flashlight then you had to have Hulk Hogan in the house that night.

BlueCrab said:
JMO8778,

The rectangular displaced bone in the skull measured 1 3/4" by 1/2", and was on the right side of the skull just behind and above the ear. The elongated rectangular hole was in the same direction and a part of the 8 1/2" crack in the skull. The crack extended from the mid lower back of the skull, across the right side of the skull, to the right eyebrow.

The 1 3/4" by 1/2" hole was the obvious point of impact on the rounded skull and therefore took the brunt of the hit, knocking out the bone at that point. The elongated displaced bone fitted the physical damage a baseball bat would inflict. The powerful hit split the skull in two and I doubt the leverage from a 12" long flashlight could have been mustered to cause that much damage.

IMO the weapon was one of the two aluminum baseball bats found in the yard.

BlueCrab
I thought it went to the bridge of her nose,and the hole and crack was higher than that?
Dr Spitz thought it could cause that much damage,and tests he conducted produced the same type of injury.So who to beleive? I don't know for sure,but is it possible she was hit thru a comforter and that prevented damage to the skin?Perhaps PR was trying to get JB up,she refused and pulled the covers over her head?

JMO8778 said:
I thought it went to the bridge of her nose,and the hole and crack was higher than that?
Dr Spitz thought it could cause that much damage,and tests he conducted produced the same type of injury.So who to beleive? I don't know for sure,but is it possible she was hit thru a comforter and that prevented damage to the skin?Perhaps PR was trying to get JB up,she refused and pulled the covers over her head?

JMO8778,

Who knows maybe the whack on the head was intended as post-mortem staging?

If the head blow had come first, why would you need to asphyxiate her, why not just keep hitting her head until she expires, after all one whack or five, the evidence of a skull injury would still be there?

imo her multiple injuries particularly those lying beneath the ligature suggest she was strangled first.

If you review the literature on head injuries, severe depressed fractures as seen on JonBenet are extremely rare, particularly in her age group, an accidental fall or push, would not result in such extreme injuries, her head injury alone would have been enough to kill her, if she had survived she may possibly have never regained consciousness.

The varied nature of JonBenet's injuries demonstrate someone intended to be certain that JonBenet was dead.

Someone did not want JonBenet to wake up and talk!

UKGuy said:
JMO8778,

Who knows maybe the whack on the head was intended as post-mortem staging?
UkGuy,
The whack on the head could not have been inflicted as 'post-mortem' staging, since it caused bleeding in JB's brain. But dead victims don't bleed anymore.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back