Dog dies saving family from burning home

graybar hotel

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Lassie wakes up owners, enabling them to escape; perishes in fire herself

ANDERSON, Ind. - A collie named Lassie roused her owners and enabled them to escape their burning home but died in the fire, relatives said.

"The dog saved their life," said Judi Thompson after her parents' home burned Wednesday morning. "Even the firemen said that. Isn't that amazing? It gives me goose bumps."

Thompson said her parents, Robert and Elsie Whitson, were asleep in their bedroom at the rear of their home in the city about 30 miles northeast of Indianapolis when the fire broke out. The dog, which slept at the foot of the couple's bed, licked and nibbled at their hands until 81-year-old Robert awoke and the couple went outside, she said.

No pictures, but the rest of the story:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17525736/

That is just so sad......Lassie has a special place reserved for her in doggie heaven.

Dogs are really such incredible creatures, they are in the same league as Angels to me...........lol......true....they are really special....how many stories have we heard like this one where a dog has saved a life- too many to mention probably.
The dog who dialled 911 took the cake, how clever!

Just patting a dog can be helpful, I know patting mine helped me feel better sometimes when I was really down....and is why they are brought into hospitals- to make people feel better.....

RIP Lassie, you were a brave dog.

That is so sad, My hubby had a cocker spaniel as a pet when he was a young boy, and that dog saved my hubbys life, he went and got help when hubby was nearly drowning. I cant remember the name of the dog, my hubbys asleep so I cant ask him, but I thank that cocker spaniel for saving his life as he is here with me today:) . Most of our pets are family members, they are so special.

narlacat said:
Dogs are really such incredible creatures, they are in the same league as Angels to me...........lol......true....they are really special....how many stories have we heard like this one where a dog has saved a life- too many to mention probably.
The dog who dialled 911 took the cake, how clever!

Just patting a dog can be helpful, I know patting mine helped me feel better sometimes when I was really down....and is why they are brought into hospitals- to make people feel better.....

RIP Lassie, you were a brave dog.
I agree narlacat. Animals are our best friends. Lassie was such a brave, wonderful dog. It is so sad that he met his end so tragically, but what a hero. I am a pet lover too, and those that suffer from chronic illness will notice they get a boost in immune system function when they own pets as studies have proven. Animals just require love and just are in hog heaven when they receive attention back. They will worship you forever.

Good day:)
Gozgals

That is so sad Lassie died, this was a very special dog, and has a special place in doggy heaven, and in her owners hearts. Lassie did good!!!!

So sad! And ironic that it was a collie named Lassie. She really was a rescue dog!

What an amazingly special dog- We know dogs are loyal and this just proves it again! He lost his life so his loved ones could live!

RIP Lassie!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back