TX - Sariyah Garcia, 14 mos, & Sebastian Lopez, 4 mos, murdered, 2006 & 2007

Earthbound Misfit I

Justice for Kimberly Shawn Cheatham
Reaction score
Infant bodies found under house; mother charged

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (AP) -- The mother of two young children whose decomposing bodies were found wrapped in plastic bags beneath a house this week was arrested Saturday and charged with capital murder.
Valerie Lopez, 19, was arrested early Saturday along with her boyfriend, authorities said.

Lopez confessed to beating to death Sariyah Garcia, her 18-month-old daughter, and hiding her body beneath her home, Police Chief William McManus said. Sariyah died Christmas Eve.

Lopez told investigators she killed Sebastian Lopez, her 5-month-old son, when she accidentally rolled over him about two months later, District Attorney Susan Reed said. Lopez also hid his body under the house.

The boyfriend, Jerry Salazar, faces a charge of injury to a child by omission. He was aware Lopez was abusing her children, police said.

More: http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/11/infant.bodies.ap/index.html

Please don't quote me on this; but, I seem to recall in a local news report here that the woman's two older children had been taken away previously by the Department of Human Services, and that the tow younger ones, now now dead, were left with those people. If that is true it is an abomination. I have seen and read about cases where that has been the case. If one child is abused or neglected, than all children in the home should be taken in my opinion.

Those poor little babies never had the chance in this world, and it is so very sad. My heart goes out to the little ones.

Lion

This is not a woman, it is lower.I will not call it an animal because animals care for their young.I think some of the Social Workers need looking into also.No child should be left in a home like that.Sometimes I think our whole system needs overhauling in certain areas and this is one of them..Bless their Little Hearts..IMO

Again it looks as if the system let these children down. As a parent I cannot understand how ANYBODY could beat their child to death, let alone on Christmas Eve. These are true monsters. :furious:

No one realized that those babies had been missing for months? Isn't that a little strange. These two monsters don't have any family? What a horrible thing to do to babies and then bury them under the house for pity sake. I wonder how they came to be discovered. I'll bet that the mother won't get much prison/jail time. Seems like people never do when they murder their babies.

From RKnowley's link:

Family members had little contact with Lopez since she had started living with Salazar, but friends reported seeing her looking as if she had been beaten up, her sister said.

SewingDeb said:
From RKnowley's link:

Family members had little contact with Lopez since she had started living with Salazar, but friends reported seeing her looking as if she had been beaten up, her sister said.
I'm sorry but, if a friend, sister, cousin, mother or, anybody else I knew for that matter looked like they were being beaten or abused. I would have made some contact to find out what was going on.

SewingDeb said:
From RKnowley's link:

Even if family members had little contact w/ Salazar, I would think they would have wanted to see the two babies during the holiday. You'd think they would have bought them Christmas presents, if they celebrated Christmas. Salazar obviously doesn't have a conscience. How could she have one, knowing her babies were stuffed under her house?

It's a horrible story no matter how you look at it.

Even if she was an abused woman...no reason to beat her own toddler to death and then, my guess is, suffocate or smother the infant to death as well.

The relatives are probably just as messed up as she is--to see their family member "beaten up" and yet do nothing--to not see the babies for so long--

I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out that the children's protective services were involved before with other children in the family. In our state, we have a crisis regarding the protection of children. Too many are falling through the cracks and dying.

An awful, awful thought, two little children left in such a way!!!

A San Antonio mother convicted of killing two of her babies and leaving their bodies to rot in plastic bags under her home was sentenced Friday to life in prison without parole.
Valerie Lopez, 22, had agreed to the term in July 2008 — on the same day her capital murder trial was set to begin.

The sentencing hearing was delayed a year and a half because part of the plea agreement required her to testify against her former boyfriend Jerry Salazar at his capital murder trial if necessary. Salazar, however, pleaded guilty to lesser charges in December and was sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole.

more at link

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...s_life_without_parole_for_killing_babies.html

Salazar reached a separate plea agreement in December and also received a life sentence.

http://www.blnz.com/news/2010/02/19/whose_kids_bodies_found_under_1754.html

Glad to see the sentencing in this case. Thank you, Belinda!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back