MD MD - Pamela Conyers, 16, Glen Burnie, 16 Oct 1970

Richard

Reaction score
A Photo of Pamela Lynn Conyers can be seen by clicking on the below link.

Case Summary:

On October 20, 1970, the body of PAMELA LYNN CONYERS was discovered in a wooded area located between the eastbound and westbound lanes of Maryland Route 177 extended, which at the time was under construction (currently Route 100 near the Waterford Road/Route 648 overpass).

Vital Statistics and Details:

PAMELA LYNN CONYERS was a white female, 16 years of age, 5' 2" tall, weighing approximately 105 pounds. On October 16, 1970, Pamela attended the homecoming bonfire/pep rally at Glen Burnie High School. Later that evening, Pamela drove her family's 1967 Dodge Monaco to the Harundale Mall in Glen Burnie, Maryland. This is the last place that Pamela was seen alive.
The case is still open and is being actively investigated by detectives from the Anne Arundel County Police Department's Homicide Unit, Cold Case Squad. Detectives are seeking information from additional witnesses.Anyone who has information regarding the homicide of Pamela Lynn Conyers, or anyone with information pertaining to her death or pertaining to the identification of witnesses or suspects, please call:

Anne Arundel County Police
Homicide Unit - Cold Case Squad
(410) 222-3456or callMetro Crime Stoppers
(410) 276-8888

You do not have to give your name, anonymity guaranteed

LINK:

http://www.aacounty.org/Police/ColdCases/Conyers.cfm

Not much to go on for this case but I did notice that there was another unsolved murder 8 years later (one in October and one in November) where the body was also found near a highway and was not all that far away from the 1970 case (as far as I could tell from the map scale less than a mile distant.) I have no idea if the two cases are in any way connected but probably not.
http://www.aacounty.org/Police/ColdCases/Miller.cfm

linked from http://www.aacounty.org/Police/ColdCases/index.cfm

I also note that there are two places nearby named as parks (Friendship Park and Saw Mill Creek Park), just tossing out info in case it might later prove helpful.

It seems they did not tell us the cause of death in the 1970 case so we don't even know if she was strangled,shot,stabbed or OD'd drowned or what.

Edited to add:
I just read the info link posted by JusticeForAll. Very very interesting stuff there. Makes me believe that some unsolved cases aren't so unsolved as we might think.

Here are two news articles about the police investigation into the Pamela Lynn Conyers case.

----------------------------------
The Capitol
Tuesday, November 17, 1970
Annapolis, MD

Pamela Lynn Conyers
POLICE PURSUE MANY LEADS IN MURDER

One month today after 16-year-old Pamela Lynn Conyers was raped and murdered police report no significant progress has been made in solving the crime.

Four detectives are assigned to the case fulltime and 200 leads are being checked out, Lt. Robert Flannery of the Anne Arundel County Police said. So far 25 suspects, some known sex offenders, have been picked up, interrogated then turned loose when their alibis checked out.

"We have leads," Flannery said, "some sound good, others don't. They'll all be run out. You never know what one's going to be the good one."

The investigation, Flannery said, is so far going with little direction. It is just a continuing process of running down leads. So far his detectives have logged about 900 man hours looking for Pamela's killer.

Clothing from the dead girl's body and soil samples vacuumed from the car were sent to the FBI crime laboratory in Washington for Analysis.

Flannery said the FBI lab report was of little help.

"It gave us a certain sense of direction," he said, but he refused to comment further.

Miss Conyers was last seen alive Friday, Oct. 16, when she left her home on Twin Ridge Dr. about 8:30 p.m. to purchase a bottle of shoe dye at Harundale Mall to match a dress she was to wear to a school dance the next evening.

A clerk at the mall reported selling the dye to the girl who was never seen alive again by anyone but her killer.

Flannery said that police theorize she was abducted when she returned to pick up the family car for the short drive to her home but they are not certain.

"No one saw a thing at the mall or anywhere else," Flannery said, "Most murder cases you at least have someone who saw something."

State and County officials began searching for the girl and the car the next day using a helicopter. Abduction was feared from the beginning.

It was late Monday afternoon when a man walking in the woods found a 1968 Dodge-- abandoned in an overgrown Pasadena field about a hundred yards off the Mountain Rd. extension near several abandoned farm buildings.

The next morning an intense search of the wooded area surrounding the overgrown and deserted farm began. It was Ptl. Robert Switzer who found the girl's body lying on her side off a little used farm road.

The tracks led into the woods, police Chief Edward Praley said, as he walked from the woods after viewing the body, that she had probably been rolled out the car door.

Flannery said that plaster casts taken of the tire tracks indicated that the car used to enter the woods was probably the Conyers family vehicle which was abandoned about 300 yards from where the girl was found.

At the scene was a tight-lipped FBI agent who was overheard talking briefly with Praley about a seemingly similar case at Ft. Meade.

A spokesman for the FBI said the murder of Joyce Helen Malecki, a 20-year-old Landsdowne office worker was uite similar.

Miss Malecki was found last November near the Little Patuxent River on Ft. Meade with her hands bound behind and her throat cut. She disappeared while on a shopping trip in Glen Burnie.

The girl's car was found abandoned in the Boomtown section of Odenton.

Flannery said that the possibility that the two crimes may have been committed by the same person has not been ruled out.

When found, the Conyer girl
s body was clad in slacks and a pullover sweater turned inside out. Missing were the girl's underwear and her purse.

Flannery said the underwear and the car keys have not been turned up.

Pamela on the right of her death, had been at a bonfire peprally at Glen Burnie High School. When she returned home, her mother, Mrs. William Conyers gave her $5 for the shoe dye and the keys to the car.

The eldest of three, she was buried at Hattiesburg, Miss.

Murder is a hard crime to solve, Flannery said, and this one, where hardly a clue has been uncovered is one of the hardest.

Assigned to the case fulltime are detectives John F. Putsche, Charles Shreiber, A. Lee Apperson and A. Wade Taylor.

---------------------------------------
Excerpt from an article which discusses several caes:
The Capitol
Mon, Sept. 17, 1973
Annapolis, MD

5 MURDERS UNSOLVED
2 girls, 2 D.C.men, woodcutter victims....

Conyers

When 16-year-old Pamela Lynn Conyers failed to return home after going to Harundale Mall the night of October 16, 1970 to get some shoe dye to complete her outfit for a dance at Glen Burnie High School, her parents called police.

The family car was found three days later in a wooded area in the median strip of Route 100, then under construction. Her body was found less than a quarter mile from the car early the next morning. The pretty brown haired student was strangled to death and police believe she was also raped.Her body had been thrown into trees in the deserted area, used as a lover's lane.

Police believe that her killer probably saw her get out of her car at the mall and got into the back seat while she was shopping.

The car had been wiped clean of fingerprints and no evidence was found around the body.

Keissling admitted that his men have been investigating a very good lead in the past month and refused to comment on whether a suspect is in custody...

---------------------------------------------------
Link to a another photo of Pamela Lynn Conyers:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/fireangeldancer/conyers1.jpg?t=1173731814/

Wow, I really lived in a bubble all those years. I grew up in Annapolis and thought AA Co. was so safe, that nothing ever happened there. It's kind of creepy to see all of this stuff now.

KrisNine said:
Wow, I really lived in a bubble all those years. I grew up in Annapolis and thought AA Co. was so safe, that nothing ever happened there. It's kind of creepy to see all of this stuff now.
I lived in a bubble too, it was not until I got older and starting reading lots of crime stories that I realized the danger and horrible things that were around where I lived in MD.

I personally knew Pam Conyers. She lived a few houses from me. We both went to Glen Burnie High School. Pam was a nice girl from a nice family. She had two younger brothers. I don't remember much of the case because I was young; however, I do remember a few things. I would like to know who they suspected in this case and who the friends are that are dead. If I knew, I might be able to tell you if the guy at the link is "for real" or not.

What I remember: I was hanging out at the Harundale mall the night that Pam had gone there to pick up the shoe dye. I used to take the railroad tracks home from the Harundale Mall. I even walked this dark, back way that night. So, you would have thought that I was more at risk than Pam.

They surmised that Pam left her car door unlocked when she ran in to get the shoe dye. I think that she was buying the dye from the Thom McCann's shoe store.

There was a creepy guy who lived right across the street from Pam that we all suspected might have something to do with her murder. He would always leer at the girls. As I recall, Pam's bedroom window did not have a curtain on it; and we thought that he may have watched her get dressed and undressed at night. I think Pam used to babysit for his two young children, too.

If I recall correctly, this guy happened to be at the mall with his small dog the night in question. We surmised that he asked Pam for a ride home. The police canvassed the neighborhood; and we told him about this creepy guy. So, I'm sure that he was thoroughly investigated.

I knew no details of the case except that it was rumored (just like the link said) that they found pubic hair or hair that indicated that a black person may have been involved. I also thought that there was another rumor, something about a broom handle being used to rape her or something about a broom handle.

It was rumored that she was hit in the face, causing damage to the mouth area and teeth. I'm not sure how she was murdered.

I can remember being questioned by detectives at school. I was speculating that the killer wore gloves. I didn't know that the fingerprints were wiped clean in her car. Several students told detectives that I said that the killer wore gloves. My brother and a few neighborhood teens were known to the cops. So, I can see why they questioned me. It really scared me because I didn't know anything or anyone who would do such a thing.

Shortly after Pam's death, the family moved. I have no idea where they moved. I didn't realize that Pam was buried in Hattiesburg. Perhaps, that's where the family moved.

In any case, this case has always haunted me. I guess because I actually knew Pam and lived a few houses away.

This area was safe; and we lived in a safe neighborhood. It goes to show you that bad things happen everywhere.

I'd like to know if the police think that someone followed her from the pep rally or someone from her inner circle murdered her. I always thought that it was someone familiar with the area because of where her car and body were found.

I also didn't realize that they never found her underwear or keys. She was dressed (with sweater on inside out). So, perhaps, the killer dressed her or made her redress after he raped her. Sad, sad, sad...

If it were the killer who redressed her, which might be the case since the sweater was on inside out, could it be someone who knew her? What would be the purpose of redressing her--so a sex crime woudn't be suspected? Maybe, that's why her underwear were taken, too.

I thought that link said that they tested semen found on her underwear. I'll have to go and reread.

ETA: I found the original article that I have saved all these years. Here it is:

nanandjim

Here is a story about someone that claims to have inside information on this unsolved case:
http://www.scaryscreaming.com/storiesgbtriangle.html
I think that this writer is bogus. If he were familiar with Pam's case, he would have known her background story, to include the year that she was murdered. It doesn't help his credibility to have the facts wrong. Pam was not Christmas shopping, early or otherwise. I don't think that her underwear were found either. The original article in the newspaper which I have posted says that she was wearing light blue wool slacks not jeans as this writer indicates. I think that her parents gave an accurate description because at this point she was still missing.

Geez, Nan. Your post about walking home that very night gave me shivers.

Thanks for the insight. I wonder about the neighbor.
I used to do some really stupid things. It's amazing that I am alive. I can remember walking home one night (on the same railroad tracks) and a group of guys started to follow me. When I started to run, they chased me. I ended up running through a neighborhood one street over (because I didn't think that I could outrun them) and knocking on a door. Thank goodness someone answered as the boys/teens? were two houses away. When the woman let me in to use her phone, I called my brother and asked him to come and walk me home the rest of the way.

I often wondered if this group would have raped me or if they were trying to scare me. I'm glad that I knocked on someone's door; and, more importantly, that someone answered. These guys were not backing off until they saw someone answer the door.

I also wonder about the creepy neighbor. He was really strange. His children were really beautiful--blonde hair and blue eyes. He was overweight and balding, as I recall.

I personally knew Pam Conyers. She lived a few houses from me. We both went to Glen Burnie High School. Pam was a nice girl from a nice family. She had two younger brothers. I don't remember much of the case because I was young; however, I do remember a few things. I would like to know who they suspected in this case and who the friends are that are dead. If I knew, I might be able to tell you if the guy at the link is "for real" or not....

You should contact the cold case officer and offer your observations and memories to him. I am sure that he/she would like to hear from you and might ask some questions that you would have the answers to.

I personally knew Pam Conyers. She lived a few houses from me. We both went to Glen Burnie High School. Pam was a nice girl from a nice family. She had two younger brothers. I don't remember much of the case because I was young; however, I do remember a few things. I would like to know who they suspected in this case and who the friends are that are dead. If I knew, I might be able to tell you if the guy at the link is "for real" or not.

What I remember: I was hanging out at the Harundale mall the night that Pam had gone there to pick up the shoe dye. I used to take the railroad tracks home from the Harundale Mall. I even walked this dark, back way that night. So, you would have thought that I was more at risk than Pam.

They surmised that Pam left her car door unlocked when she ran in to get the shoe dye. I think that she was buying the dye from the Thom McCann's shoe store.

There was a creepy guy who lived right across the street from Pam that we all suspected might have something to do with her murder. He would always leer at the girls. As I recall, Pam's bedroom window did not have a curtain on it; and we thought that he may have watched her get dressed and undressed at night. I think Pam used to babysit for his two young children, too.

If I recall correctly, this guy happened to be at the mall with his small dog the night in question. We surmised that he asked Pam for a ride home. The police canvassed the neighborhood; and we told him about this creepy guy. So, I'm sure that he was thoroughly investigated.

I knew no details of the case except that it was rumored (just like the link said) that they found pubic hair or hair that indicated that a black person may have been involved. I also thought that there was another rumor, something about a broom handle being used to rape her or something about a broom handle.

It was rumored that she was hit in the face, causing damage to the mouth area and teeth. I'm not sure how she was murdered.

I can remember being questioned by detectives at school. I was speculating that the killer wore gloves. I didn't know that the fingerprints were wiped clean in her car. Several students told detectives that I said that the killer wore gloves. My brother and a few neighborhood teens were known to the cops. So, I can see why they questioned me. It really scared me because I didn't know anything or anyone who would do such a thing.

Shortly after Pam's death, the family moved. I have no idea where they moved. I didn't realize that Pam was buried in Hattiesburg. Perhaps, that's where the family moved.

In any case, this case has always haunted me. I guess because I actually knew Pam and lived a few houses away.

This area was safe; and we lived in a safe neighborhood. It goes to show you that bad things happen everywhere.

I'd like to know if the police think that someone followed her from the pep rally or someone from her inner circle murdered her. I always thought that it was someone familiar with the area because of where her car and body were found.

I also didn't realize that they never found her underwear or keys. She was dressed (with sweater on inside out). So, perhaps, the killer dressed her or made her redress after he raped her. Sad, sad, sad...

If it were the killer who redressed her, which might be the case since the sweater was on inside out, could it be someone who knew her? What would be the purpose of redressing her--so a sex crime woudn't be suspected? Maybe, that's why her underwear were taken, too.

Pamela Lynn Conyers

(photo at link below)

On October 20, 1970, the body of PAMELA LYNN CONYERS was discovered in a wooded area located between the eastbound and westbound lanes of Maryland Route 177 extended, which at the time was under construction (currently Route 100 near the Waterford Road/Route 648 overpass).

PAMELA LYNN CONYERS was a white female, 16 years of age, 5' 2" tall, weighing approximately 105 pounds.

On October 16, 1970, Pamela attended the homecoming bonfire/pep rally at Glen Burnie High School. Later that evening, Pamela drove her family's 1967 Dodge Monaco to the Harundale Mall in Glen Burnie, Maryland. This is the last place that Pamela was seen alive.

The case is still open and is being actively investigated by detectives from the Anne Arundel County Police Department's Homicide Unit, Cold Case Squad. Detectives are seeking information from additional witnesses.

Anyone who has information regarding the homicide of Pamela Lynn Conyers, or anyone with information pertaining to her death or pertaining to the identification of witnesses or suspects, please call:

Sergeant Keith Clark
Homicide Unit
(410) 222-3456

Or give anonymous tips through:Metro Crime Stoppers
Toll Free 1-866-7LOCKUP (756-2587)

E-mail: www.tipsubmit.com

Text Message: Send the letters “MCS” plus your message to 274637

Source:

Anne Arundel County Police Official Website: Cold Cases

LINK:

http://www.aacounty.org/Police/ColdCases/Conyers.cfm

Nothing new in this 2012 article.

Police on teen's slaying: 'No one saw a thing'
By CAITLIN BYRNES | MARCH 19, 2012 AT 1:53 PM

snipped
She was clothed in pants and an inside-out pullover sweater. Her purse and underwear were missing and never found.

snipped
Anyone with information in the Conyers case is encouraged to call Sgt. Keith Clark of the Anne Arundel County Police homicide unit at 410-222-3456. Anonymous tips can be given toll free at 1-866-7LOCKUP (756-2587), online at www.tipsubmit.com or in a text with "MCS" and a message to 274637.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back