Khalid Shaikh Mohammed admits to 9/11 attack

dark_shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Shortly after 9/11, al Qaeda began planning to use shoe bombers to hijack a commercial airplane and fly it into the tallest building in Los Angeles, California, President Bush said Thursday.

The details were the first from the administration about the West Coast airliner plot, which was thwarted in 2002 and initially disclosed by the White House last year.

The plot was set in motion by Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, the alleged mastermind of the September 11, 2001, attacks, a month after the airplanes crashed into the World Trade Center and Pentagon, Bush said. It involved terrorists from al Qaeda's Southeast Asia wing, Jemaah Islamiyah. (Watch Bush's disclosure on the timing and location -- 1:45)

"Rather than use Arab hijackers, Khalid Shaikh Mohammed sought out young men from Southeast Asia whom he believed would not arouse as much suspicion," Bush said.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/02/09/bush.terror/index.html

There was another part of the story that I heard on Fox but haven't seen a link yet. Anyway, they said the mayor of Los Angeles was not aware of any of this during the time it was occuring. Don't they communicate with local officials to coordinate?

concernedperson said:
There was another part of the story that I heard on Fox but haven't seen a link yet. Anyway, they said the mayor of Los Angeles was not aware of any of this during the time it was occuring. Don't they communicate with local officials to coordinate?
I can't answer that specific question but IMO there is not enough communication!!! I do believe that the mayor may not have known and it just blows my mind to think that it could have happened again. Why does it seem that they pay so much attention to New York? It seems like if someone even sneezes they tighten the security even more in that city. No offense to anyone that lives there - I LOVE the place - just curious as to why there is so much focus there. I understand that is where the first attacks occured but this is a big, big country!

southernpixie said:
I can't answer that specific question but IMO there is not enough communication!!! I do believe that the mayor may not have known and it just blows my mind to think that it could have happened again. Why does it seem that they pay so much attention to New York? It seems like if someone even sneezes they tighten the security even more in that city. No offense to anyone that lives there - I LOVE the place - just curious as to why there is so much focus there. I understand that is where the first attacks occured but this is a big, big country!
New York has been attacked twice on a grand scale. Imagine how jumpy you'd be if, say, within the last 10 years, you'd had more-or-less the same people burn down your house, kill your family & rape you. That's what it feels like, psychologically, for a lot of New Yorkers. Plus it is the center of of US media, so if something happens there the terrorists know it will be seen worldwide within minutes. Also, New York is the largest American city on an ISLAND. It can be strategically cut off from the mainland and is 110% dependant on daily impoirts of food and other day-to-day niceties. If the city is effectively sealed off ---several million enter, considerably fewer will leave.

BillyGoatGruff said:
New York has been attacked twice on a grand scale. Imagine how jumpy you'd be if, say, within the last 10 years, you'd had more-or-less the same people burn down your house, kill your family & rape you. That's what it feels like, psychologically, for a lot of New Yorkers. Plus it is the center of of US media, so if something happens there the terrorists know it will be seen worldwide within minutes. Also, New York is the largest American city on an ISLAND. It can be strategically cut off from the mainland and is 110% dependant on daily impoirts of food and other day-to-day niceties. If the city is effectively sealed off ---several million enter, considerably fewer will leave.
Thanks - a few points in there I was not aware of. Why did they target LA then? Why not go back to New York? And, still I don't understand why New York is always "put on notice" yet this plot with LA went unmentioned altogether.

southernpixie said:
Thanks - a few points in there I was not aware of. Why did they target LA then? Why not go back to New York? And, still I don't understand why New York is always "put on notice" yet this plot with LA went unmentioned altogether.

I don't know but it was addressed by the Bush Administration today. Also, other indications that Atlanta was a target.

[font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica]WASHINGTON -- President Bush today, in a speech to shore up public support for the war on terrorism, provided fresh details of a foiled plot in 2002 by Al Qaeda to hijack an airplane and fly it into the Library Tower in Los Angeles, using Asian recruits armed with shoe bombs.

In remarks to the National Guard Association here, Bush cited that effort as just one of many manifestations of Al Qaeda's determination to attack the United States again, as he urged Americans to remain vigilant and back the war effort.
Later in the day, National Homeland Security Adviser Frances Townsend was scheduled to provide additional details on the so-called "West Coast plot." The plot's existence has long been known, although details surrounding it have remained murky.

In a speech last October, Bush said the U.S. and its allies had disrupted at least 10 Al Qaeda plots against the West, including three planned attacks on American soil, and stopped at least five additional attempts to scout out other targets in this country.

The White House then issued a list of such foiled plots, citing potential 9/11-style airliner attacks, a plan to blow up an apartment building and surveillance of gas stations, bridges and tourist sites nationwide. But some law enforcement officials questioned whether some of those incidents on the list constituted a true, imminent threat. Others said the plot against the Library Tower, which was re-named the US Bank Tower in 2003, never progressed beyond the planning stages.

But in his speech this morning, Bush said that only a month after the 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, top Al Qaeda operative Khalid Sheik Mohammad, the 9/11 mastermind, already had "set in motion a plan to have terrorist operatives hijack an airplane using shoe bombs to breach the cockpit door and fly the plane into the tallest building on the West Coast."
[/font]

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/nationworld/sfl-29laplot,0,560165.story?coll=sfla-newsnation-front

THE PRESIDENT: Thanks for that warm welcome. I'm delighted to be here with the men and women of the National Guard Association of the United States. For 128 years, the National Guard Association has been fighting for the citizen-soldiers who fight for America

concernedperson said:
I don't know but it was addressed by the Bush Administration today. Also, other indications that Atlanta was a target.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/02/20060209-2.html

Fact sheet on listed plots;

1. The West Coast Airliner Plot: In mid-2002 the U.S. disrupted a plot to attack targets on the West Coast of the United States using hijacked airplanes. The plotters included at least one major operational planner involved in planning the events of 9/11.
  2. The East Coast Airliner Plot: In mid-2003 the U.S. and a partner disrupted a plot to attack targets on the East Coast of the United States using hijacked commercial airplanes.
  3. The Jose Padilla Plot: In May 2002 the U.S. disrupted a plot that involved blowing up apartment buildings in the United States. One of the plotters, Jose Padilla, also discussed the possibility of using a "dirty bomb" in the U.S.
  4. The 2004 UK Urban Targets Plot: In mid-2004 the U.S. and partners disrupted a plot that involved urban targets in the United Kingdom. These plots involved using explosives against a variety of sites.
  5. The 2003 Karachi Plot: In the Spring of 2003 the U.S. and a partner disrupted a plot to attack Westerners at several targets in Karachi, Pakistan.
  6. The Heathrow Airport Plot: In 2003 the U.S. and several partners disrupted a plot to attack Heathrow Airport using hijacked commercial airliners. The planning for this attack was undertaken by a major 9/11 operational figure.
  7. The 2004 UK Plot: In the Spring of 2004 the U.S. and partners, using a combination of law enforcement and intelligence resources, disrupted a plot to conduct large-scale bombings in the UK.
  8. The 2002 Arabian Gulf Shipping Plot: In late 2002 and 2003 the U.S. and a partner nation disrupted a plot by al-Qa'ida operatives to attack ships in the Arabian Gulf.
  9. The 2002 Straits of Hormuz Plot: In 2002 the U.S. and partners disrupted a plot to attack ships transiting the Straits of Hormuz.
  10. The 2003 Tourist Site Plot: In 2003 the U.S. and a partner nation disrupted a plot to attack a tourist site outside the United States.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/10/20051006-7.html

It really is too bad that President Bush only seems willing to identify the dedication of our civil servants in protecting us when he is trying to project fear into the population to make himself appear to be something HE IS NOT.

As Professor Tribe said earlier this week, there are some who become drunk with power leading to incompetence & it appears that THIS Administration may have succumb. (from memory, not a quote)

southernpixie said:
L.A. is also a media center.
It has everything to do with striking terror in as many people as possible at once.

altruist1000 said:
It really is too bad that President Bush only seems willing to identify the dedication of our civil servants in protecting us when he is trying to project fear into the population to make himself appear to be something HE IS NOT.

As Professor Tribe said earlier this week, there are some who become drunk with power leading to incompetence & it appears that THIS Administration may have succumb. (from memory, not a quote)
Since Bush is a lame duck president whose vice president shows no desire to run, I can't figure out why everyone has their knickers in such a twist. You'll get your shot at the presidency (and screwing that up just as bad, just like every other president since Jefferson) in less than 2 years.

I can't site a specific example, but I do remember some time ago, 2002 maybe, shoot it might even be this case, there were terror threats to areas of California, and the terror level may have even been raised because of it. This information was to have been kept quiet while Federal Gov worked on further intellgence issues, stopping the plot etc., and several California officials came forward, told the whole story, said is was ridiculous, etc., etc. Typical California, let's be friends with the terrorists and give them a hug crap.

Before you are too critical of this administration and the handling of the terrorists, keep in mind that since Sept 11, 2001, You and I have been safe. I believe that President Bush plans his entire day around MINE and YOUR well being. That has been his top priority. So far, he has done a great job.

I suspect something major is up Al-Queda's sleeve again. The last time the far-right Muslims did something as pointless as the cartoon riots was when the Taliban dynamited the 1000-year old Buddhas. 9/11 wasn't long after that.

Something we can agree on Billygoat. I think we are in for some bad news real soon.

There was breaking news on Fox that states that moments ago, Khalid Shaikh Mohammedadmits to the 9/11 attacks. There is no link yet, but apparently it is news from the Pentagon.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

This person is a piece of trash. I can't imagine how low you have to go as a human being to be able to decapitate a fellow human, let alone someone who is alive. I'm philosophically opposed to the death penalty, but I almost wish this character would be slowly and agonizingly tortured.

I think the majority of the confession is a farce. An "atta-boy" concocted by the Bush Administration. Great Britain is laughing their asses off right now that we are willing to swallow this entire thing hook, line, and sinker.

He also admitted to a plot to bomb/fly planes into the Bank of America Tower here in Seattle.

Uh, it wasn't named the Bank of America Tower until 2006. How does that work since he has been in Gitmo for the past 4?

It isn't that I don't believe that he did some of the things he listed and for those few things alone I think we should hang him by his fingernails or other unmetionables, but all of them? He is going for martyrdom, and the Bush Administration is all too happy to give it to him.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back