Coach coaches game five hours after giving birth

czechmate7 said:
I think it's kinda sorry that she would leave her newborn ..... You can see where her dedication lay.....
Something is wrong with her priorities--this may be an indication of things to come for her poor child.

Wild horses couldn't have dragged me away from my newborn in the first few days.

Eve

Buzzm1 said:
Something is wrong with her priorities--this may be an indication of things to come for her poor child.
That's exactly what I was thinking!!!

There's no way in heck I would have left my newborn baby to coach a game!!!

Nice harsh reactions here.... I saw this on the news last night and they showed her with the baby and she absolutely glowed! Way to brand this woman as a potential child abuser. :doh:

JanetElaine said:
Nice harsh reactions here.... I saw this on the news last night and they showed her with the baby and she absolutely glowed! Way to brand this woman as a potential child abuser. :doh:

I certainly don't think she'll be anything of the kind - I just remember those first hours after a baby's birth as so incredible. I couldn't have left 5 hours later - for anything, except some kind of an emergency. I was so content and thrilled to be snuggling that baby - I just can't imagine leaving!

Eve

eve said:
I certainly don't think she'll be anything of the kind - I just remember those first hours after a baby's birth as so incredible. I couldn't have left 5 hours later - for anything, except some kind of an emergency. I was so content and thrilled to be snuggling that baby - I just can't imagine leaving!

Eve
Hi Eve,

I didn't think your post was harsh. :) FWIW I completely agree with you (both posts).

I should have named names: Buzzm1 for saying
"That woman's next stop should be counseling--hoping she gets a lot of hate mail telling her she's really messed up."
:slap:

and to a lesser extent czechmate7.

Y'all don't even know the whole story (and neither do I). But c'mon, dude. Wishing hate mail on her??

That team might not have had anyone else to coach them and she was there for all those girls, and let her hubby have some bonding time with a very much newborn. I think that's awesome of her. Most moms are too selfish to even hand the kid to their husband the first day. :D

JanetElaine said:

I realize mothers and children are sent home sooner now. But didn't it used to be the practice that a new mother and child stayed in the hospital and spent quite a bit more than a couple of hours apart in the first day or so?

Better she should go to the game 5 hours after the birth than 24 hours after when the sleep deprivation starts and her milk comes in. :angel:

For all we know, this is the last game she'll attend for the forseeable future. She might well have been apart from him for just a couple of hours.

I might not have made the choice she did, but I'm not going to assume she's a monster because she followed through on a committment to her team.

This happened in the town where I live. The woman in question does not live here. She was traveling with her team and went into labor. The doctor who delivered her baby happens to be our mayor. He was on TV talking about it and said she was in great shape and there was no reason she couldn't attend the game.

Women who have just given birth are not simpering invalids. Back when my son was born 28 years ago, they did not allow the baby to stay in the same room with the mother. When I left the nursery to go back to my hospital bed, I guess I was abandoning my child, too. Shame on me.

I'm really surprised at the backlash here on Websleuths. All of you are usually very open-minded.

Yakwoman said:
This happened in the town where I live. The woman in question does not live here. She was traveling with her team and went into labor. The doctor who delivered her baby happens to be our mayor. He was on TV talking about it and said she was in great shape and there was no reason she couldn't attend the game.

Women who have just given birth are not simpering invalids. Back when my son was born 28 years ago, they did not allow the baby to stay in the same room with the mother. When I left the nursery to go back to my hospital bed, I guess I was abandoning my child, too. Shame on me.

I'm really surprised at the backlash here on Websleuths. All of you are usually very open-minded.
I was a simpering invalid with my first (totally natural-OUCH), and then with my 2nd, 3rd and 4th I begged to stay in the hospital till the last hour because I knew that was the only time I'd ever get any sleep! :cool:

That coach is one tough woman, that's all I'll say.

Nobody complains when the husband leaves the newborn for work. :rolleyes: :p

Taximom said:
Nobody complains when the husband leaves the newborn for work. :rolleyes: :p
You are so right about that, Taximom. Though I do think today's husbands stick around longer and are more intimately involved in those first hours, days, weeks, months than husbands of yore.

While I'm not going to brand this woman too harshly, I can't imagine doing anything like coach a tourney 5 hours after giving birth. Of course, I had 2 c-sections after 2 lengthy labors and was pretty much down for the count.

Still, your body, mind, spirit needs rest after such an event. Here's to health and happiness for this woman and her family.

I wasn't criticizing her when I posted this. There have been coaches in my family and I know how dedicated they are to their team. I think it is remarkable that she could do this. I don't think I could have. That is what her team has been working for all year and basketball season is drawing to an end for the year. I don't think this means she won't be a good mother. I bet that kid will be at games with her before long. My daughter went to her first basketball game when she was two weeks old. It isn't like she abandoned the child. She was just away for a while.

Annie said:
I wasn't criticizing her when I posted this. There have been coaches in my family and I know how dedicated they are to their team. I think it is remarkable that she could do this. I don't think I could have. That is what her team has been working for all year and basketball season is drawing to an end for the year. I don't think this means she won't be a good mother. I bet that kid will be at games with her before long. My daughter went to her first basketball game when she was two weeks old. It isn't like she abandoned the child. She was just away for a while.

Oh, Annie, I didn't take the first post as criticism. I was surprised when folks started talking about counseling and hate mail. EEK! :blowkiss:

As a long time L&D nurse I think this is sad. She will never gets those precious moments back. I understand dedication but, this is too much!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back