The Strange Saga Of How We Fixed Websleuths. Yes, this is all true.

Tricia

Manager Websleuths.com
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
WOW. Thank you all for your kind words. I am sitting here with tears streaming down my face.

Before I get into the story I would like to thank the hard working mods of both WS and FFJ. They are the real workers here. Not me. I can’t thank them enough for all they do.

To the best of my memory, and believe me my memory is never called “best” here is what happened:

Both Forums for Justice and Websleuths went down. I mean no error message or anything. Just the same page we all get when we try and get on the computer and forget to log on to the Internet.

My heart sank. I had no clue as to what the problem was.

My father had recently, and very unexpectedly, passed away. 8 days ago was his funeral. He passed away March 3rd. We had to wait for his brother to be well enough to travel before we had the funeral. Now it’s just my brother and me. My mother had passed away in 1993.

For reasons I won’t go into, my husband chose to go out of the country 4 days after my father died.

My 10 year old son was extremely close to my dad. He needed me day and night. I didn’t even turn on my computer. I knew the forums were down but because of my family situation the forums had to wait.

I honestly can’t remember when I did what but here is how it went down.

Things finally slowed down to the point I could take care of this problem.

I pay a lot for the server; therefore I become a bit demanding when I need their help. Let me tell you, it works.

I got on EV1 Servers live chat. Got a guy named John W. He went in and did some patch thingy to the software and lo and behold, Forums for Justice went up.

No Websleuths.

So, I got back on the live chat with the server people and showed them exactly what John W had done ( he was gone by now) and not a one of them could figure out what he did or what to do about WS.

Then, because of my personal situation, I had to back away from the computer and take care of my son, help my brother, and deal with all the things one must deal with when a parent dies.

Now, comes the weird part.

I finally had a few hours to devote to getting WS back up.

Do you ever feel the forces of the Universe are against you? Do you ever feel like you are battling evil? I felt both those things plus the fact that I was, by now, losing my mind.

I have a friend at vBulletin. vBulletin is the software we use for WS and FFJ. I am not supposed to have his home number but he gave it to me years ago during a live customer service chat. I was melting down. It was before I owned WS. I think he thought I was going to kill someone or myself. He gave me his home phone number and, after many hours of working with him, the vBulletin software problem on Forums for Justice was solved. This was in 2003 I think.

We also became friends.

I sent him an email begging him to drop everything and help me. Even through the server people fixed Forums for Justice; they did it with a patch to the software. The vBulletin software.

He called and thus began one of the strangest journeys in my life.

He discovered that I was running an extremely old version of the software. He said the first thing I had to do was purchase the new software and purchase the professional upgrade. For both forums.

He held on the phone while I got out my credit card and purchased this stuff.

My purchase was declined. I realized I had put in the wrong zip code. So I started over.

I forgot to add that I am not suppose to use this credit card. It goes to an account that really isn’t mine. I had the money in cash so I thought I would put back in the account and not be found out. I was desperate.

Well, it seems the credit card people, since there were two attempts to purchase something out of the ordinary, deemed my card “suspicious” and put a stop to my whole card. Guess I am busted now for using the card.

No worries. I had the money in cash. I also have one of those Visa cards you get at one of those kind of scary check cashing places. All I needed to do was to go to the scary check cashing place, give them the money to put on my Visa cash card and problem solved right? I could use this Visa to purchase the software we needed since now my other Visa that really isn’t mine has been stopped by the fraud department.

Here is the kicker:

The cash I had was all in silver dollars. Those big round ones. The bag I had them in weighed over 50 pounds .

It was all the money I had.

My father use to give kids 20 silver dollars as presents. My brother and I divided the silver dollars up just the other day and I had about 400 of them. Just enough to take care of all the software problems.

I take them to the bank. They refuse to give me dollar bills for them. I have to send them to a special place that counts them out and they should have the cash for me, “in about a week.”

I called and asked. The scary check cashing place wouldn’t take them either.

I went home and separated all the silver dollars into 20 dollars stacks and put each 20 dollar stack in clear plastic baggie.

Now, I had that bug eyed look of someone people shouldn’t mess with. I think my canine teeth were growing longer too at this point.

I walked into the bank. I went to the teller and asked her if she wanted to be responsible for letting about one million people world wide down. She gulped and said, “no.” I said, “Then please give me cash for these dollars. They are all counted out. If the amount is off you can take it out of my account. (the account I really can’t use but she didn’t know that). She did. My eyes went back to normal and my teeth shrunk.

I live far away from Salt Lake City so it was a long drive. I got to scary check cashing place and put the money on my Visa no problem.

I drove back home. My son was home from school. I needed to spend time with him. When he was in bed, I went back on line to vBulletin and purchased my software with my Visa from the scary check cashing place after exchanging those big round silver dollars my father collected. Don’t worry. None of them were worth more than face value. He has the really valuable ones in a safety deposit box.

Now, I open my e-mailbox. Is there such a thing as a Tsunami of the email world? LOL. I didn’t know where to start. I had opened it earlier but never let it finish downloading. I had even answered a few. Now, I let the download finish.

I just stared at the email. Subjects like, “HELP” “FOR GODS SAKE” and “ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME” leapt out at me. I thought it best I now get a hold of my friend at vBulletin to start fixing WS.

Before I shut down my email, (I had looked at it for about an hour) one more email came through that caught my eye. It was from vBulletin. I opened it and it said;

“We value the security of our customers. That is why we have deemed your purchase of our vBulletin software with the Visa from the scary check cashing place using 400 silver dollars to be of a possible fraudulent nature. “We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you but your purchase is denied.”

Ok, that’s not exactly what it said but close. In other words, my Visa from the scary check cashing place was flagged as a possible “fraudulent Visa.”

At this point I asked Satan if he wanted my soul.

I had one last option. vBulletin takes PayPal. My Visa from the scary check cashing place is registered with my PayPal account. PayPal seems to think it’s ok..anyway, I finally purchased the software and all the stuff that went with it through PayPal. It worked.

I got my friend on the phone and for the next 2 and ¾ hours we were on the phone together getting the software installed. I should say he did all the work and we talked about the difference between men and women.

So my friends, now you know the saga.

My vBulletin guy would not let me pay him. So please wish good Karma come his way. He deserves it.

I won’t be around for a while. I have many things I need to do to take care of my son and my father’s estate. Just know that I love you all and keep WS buzzing ok?

Love Tricia

Tricia-

WOW. First, I send my sympathy to you, your family, and most especially, your son. I'd like to think that your dad specially gave you those silver dollars for when you needed them.

Second, I thank you for all you do for us here and we appreciate all the effort you went through to get Web Sleuths back up. I recently cleaned up my computer and such, so I thought it was just me that was having a problem with Web Sleuths. :blushing: It was a strange and wonderful tale though!

Thank you again, for getting things back up. Maybe it was a good thing because I actually got work done while I was at work hehe.

Dear Tricia,

I am very sorry about your dad, and extremely grateful for the community you provide for us here.

Can someone explain to me where/how we can donate online to help defray this expense? (I know that wasn't the purpose of Tricia's post, but why shouldn't those of us who can help out?)

Thanks in advance.

Bless your heart, Tricia. What a story!! Thank you for your sacrifices to save all the souls here on WS. Some of us were in serious difficulty without our home.

Now, I am going to say some more prayers for you and your family during this time. We will keep the home fires burning and be sending you good thoughts and good healing. Looking forward to seeing you when all your responsibilities have eased.

Wow...... ummmm thank you.

I am so glad to have WS back, but I feel really badly that you spent your silver dollars on the software. :(

I'm sorry that you had to deal with the scary check cashing place.

I hope everything turns out ok with your credit card that is not really yours.

I hope you and your son are doing ok and I hope your Dh will be back soon.

I don't use PayPal, but I wish there were some way to help.

I will keep your family in my prayers.

Dear Tricia. So sorry about your dad. Please take all the time you need for your son. I was one of those thousands of emails. I am sure you know now how much we all need this forum. I appreciate all your hard work and I hope everything will go well for you and your family.. My prayers are with you at this difficult time. God Bless and be with you.

Talk about tears streaming down ones face...Baby Girl - all you had to do was ask....your silver dollars were far more prescious than my greens ones. Remind me to smack you.....

:blowkiss:
RR

Dear Tricia,

I am very sorry about your dad, and extremely grateful for the community you provide for us here.

Can someone explain to me where/how we can donate online to help defray this expense? (I know that wasn't the purpose of Tricia's post, but why shouldn't those of us who can help out?)

Thanks in advance.

Dear Sweet Nova,

I do not accept donations. I won't. This is what I want to do to help people.

Last year I did offer a WS News Letter for 5 dollars a month to help with the cost of the server, but because of personal issues I only got out two issues.

Many people paid for a full year of News Letters.

I have offererd everyone their money back and it is my goal to get back on track with the news letter someday. Sooner rather than later.

This is a good time to remind everyone that if you paid for the news letter and you want your money back please email me at tgrif@xmission.com I will gladly refund your money.

After reading my description of what happened I realize that it may look like I am asking for money in a round about way. Not true. I won't accept donations.

If it ever came to the point where I couldn't afford WS I would give this forum to someone who loved it as much as I do.

Again, No money. Just participate. That's all I want.

Tricia

Just read the above.....

Thanks again. We really do appreciate everything you do here!

Dear Sweet Nova,

Last year I did offer a WS News Letter for 5 dollars a month to help with the cost of the server, but because of personal issues I only got out two issues.

I have offererd everyone their money back and it is my goal to get back on track with the news letter someday. Sooner rather than later.

This is a good time to remind everyone that if you paid for the news letter and you want your money back please email me at tgrif@xmission.com I will gladly refund your money.

After reading my description of what happened I realize that it may look like I am asking for money in a round about way. Not true. I won't accept donations.

If it ever came to the point where I couldn't afford WS I would give this forum to someone who loved it as much as I do.

Tricia
Tricia you are too kind. I am saying a prayer for your family and I am sorry for the loss of your dad.

Wow...... ummmm thank you.

I am so glad to have WS back, but I feel really badly that you spent your silver dollars on the software. :(

I'm sorry that you had to deal with the scary check cashing place.

I hope everything turns out ok with your credit card that is not really yours.

I hope you and your son are doing ok and I hope your Dh will be back soon.

I don't use PayPal, but I wish there were some way to help.

I will keep your family in my prayers.

Just FYI, the silver dollars were not anything like a "warm memories" type thing. We have those type of things already and we would never sell them. This was just a sack of silver dollars he kept under his bed.

If my dad were here now he would have told me to do exactly what I did.

Just FYI, the silver dollars were not anything like a "warm memories" type thing. We have those type of things already and we would never sell them. This was just a sack of silver dollars he kept under his bed.

If my dad were here now he would have told me to do exactly what I did.

I feel a little better now. Thanks!

Really though... it is NO PROBLEM at all to pitch in a little bit on the software. You really should accept donations. Besides, I already had the envelope addressed and I was just reaching for my checkbook...

Talk about tears streaming down ones face...Baby Girl - all you had to do was ask....your silver dollars were far more prescious than my greens ones. Remind me to smack you.....

:blowkiss:
RR

If I can fly out and stay with you I will let you smack me. Then we must drink large amounts of frozen drinks with little umbrellas ok?

Tricia ~

I had tears running down my face while reading your post. You are one in a million. You truly are. Why don't you let us posters help pay you back? For all of the wonderful things your provide here at WS? We all LOVE IT and would do anything to keep it

May God bless your soul for everything that you have been through. May you find some peace and comfort soon.

My absolute most sincere thanks ever.

Ang

Trish:

First of all, I am sorry to hear about your father and all your family concerns. I am sure I was one of the emails--I do not post much, but come to WS everyday. I thought there was something wrong with my computer! I am sorry you have been going through so much, and I thank you for taking time away from your family to get the site up and running. You do so much for us here, please let us know if there is anything we can do for you! I would love to donate toward a fund to help you pay for the software you needed to upgrade the site-if you post your paypal account, I am sure lots of other people would love to help too (come on people, you do want to help--RIGHT!?!?!)

Thank you Trish and God bless you and your family!
JC

Tricia ~

I had tears running down my face while reading your post. You are one in a million. You truly are. Why don't you let us posters help pay you back? For all of the wonderful things your provide here at WS? We all LOVE IT and would do anything to keep it

May God bless your soul for everything that you have been through. May you find some peace and comfort soon.

My absolute most sincere thanks ever.

Ang

Opps--Ang, you and I are on the same page!! Yes, Trish, let us help you!!

My God, what a story. I doubt I could have avoided a complete meltdown. Thank you Tricia.

Ok, since you won't take donations to purchase the software and server fees of the board..... will you accept donations for those frozen drinks with little umbrellas?

I'm mailing a check to pay for a couple of those drinks. If you don't cash it then I'll anonymously mail cash with no return address.... and you'll be forced to go buy yourself a drink!

OH DEAR.

Ok, I really meant for the biggest part of my post to be kinda funny. Denied Visas, scary check cashing place, 50 pounds of silver dollars, bank refusing my money, denied Visa again,...looking back on it this part makes me laugh.

The only reason I told you all anything about dad was because I wanted you to know why it took me so long to get WS back up.

I'll make a deal with you. If I am every desperate and I need to pay for the server I'll ask you all but only if I am down and out. Deal? Ok good.

Now, those "fraudulant" Visa claims have lowered my self esteem. I feel like such a FRAUD. LOL. Good Lord. Now, it's funny. Yesterday, it wasn't.

Dear Sweet Nova,

Tricia

Dear Tricia,

I don't believe anyone who's a regular here would think your post was a "sob story" in search of donations. You were sharing your ordeal, as we all do here from time to time. (And what an ordeal!)

Nonetheless, if you change your mind about donations, please let me know.

I always think of WS as a very desirable, private dinner party to which I am very fortunate to be invited. Were it a physical dinner party, I would bring at least a bottle of wine.

And I would be happy to do at least that much here.

Nova

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back