Identified! GA - Richmond Co., UID remains found, Mar'07 - Karen Pryor

Any updates? I couldn't find any.
I wonder if the remains are of any of these missing people in Richmond County?
www.augustaga.gov/departments/sheriffs_office/missing.asp -

Augusta Chronicle reports:

Tests show remains are from white woman

Preliminary findings for the skeletal remains found in a wooded area near Lovers Lane show that the person was a white female between 25 and 40 years old when she died, a Richmond County sheriff's news release said.

The woman was most likely in her 30s and the crime lab found no sign of trauma, the release said.

Officials at the Georgia Crime Lab in Atlanta will continue to examine the remains and release an anthropological report at a later time.

I apologize as I am not familiar with the GA area but does anyone think of Tara Grinstead?? Just a thought..I just wasnt sure the distance between where she went missing in relation to where this body was found...

Anytime a female body is found in Georgia, I wonder about Tara. We are following this one to see if anything specific is released. Ocilla and Augusta are roughly 200 miles apart though.

I apologize as I am not familiar with the GA area but does anyone think of Tara Grinstead?? Just a thought..I just wasnt sure the distance between where she went missing in relation to where this body was found...

Anytime a female body is found in Georgia, I wonder about Tara. We are following this one to see if anything specific is released. Ocilla and Augusta are roughly 200 miles apart though.

Tara could have been taken anywhere, though. What other white women in Tara's age range are missing from GA?

I thought of Tara right away too. Hopefully we will hear more info soon! I couldn't find anything new this morning.

Tara could have been taken anywhere, though. What other white women in Tara's age range are missing from GA?

I found this small article that was slightly different than the others. It says the woman is small and they have some clothing items. This could go a long way in identifying the remains. The only person in Georgia I can think of is Tara Grinstead but it could be anyone from many areas dumped in Augusta.

http://www.wjbf.com/midatlantic/jbf/news_index.apx.-content-articles-JBF-2007-03-23-0002.html

Any more information on this unidentified woman?
No, I have emailed the reporter and he hasn't responded. I check 10 times a day for a news report but nothing. Don't worry whenever any of my sources comes through I will post.

Laney-Walker runs through the seedy parts of town and by lots of train tracks. I'm not sure where Lover's Lane is, anyone know? Is it near the Savannah River section?

Edited to add: I've looked up Lover's Lane. There are two roads with that name but only one is a dead end. It's just across the Savannah River from SC, with the closest SC town being Beach Island.

Since they said the woman was so small, any chance she could be Dail Dinwiddie from Columbia, SC? How long did they say they think the body has been there? Dail disappeared from 5 points in Columbia in 1992 after a U2 concert. By interstate, Augusta, GA and Columbia, SC are about 1 hour apart.
http://www.kristenfoundation.org/cgi-bin/datacgi/database.cgi?file=hw&report=sp&ID=027

Date of Birth: April 12, 1969
Date Missing: September 24, 1992
From City/State: Columbia, SC
Age at Time of Disapperance: 23
Race: White
Height: 60 inches
Weight: 96 pounds
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Complexion: Medium
Identifying Characteristics: Pierced ears.
Clothing: Olive green long sleeve shirt, faded blue jeans, brown boots.
Circumstances of Disappearance: Unknown.
Investigative Agency: Columbia Police Department
Phone: (803) 233-8474
Investigative Case #: 92-31749

Dail was the reason I found websleuths. I have been haunted by her face since I saw her missing person fliers in 1992 in SC when I was looking at colleges.

Dail is also the main reason I came to websleuths. So beautiful and smart---disappeared without a trace. I've wondered about the bouncer's testimony, if he was ever given a lie detector test.

The 1999 disapearance of Paula Merchant of Forest Acres, South Carolina is very similar. She was little taller but similar in looks. That Rivera guy is a poi in both cases.

The remains were skeletal so it will probably be awhile before the id is known. I check everyday to see if there is anything new.

Thank you Concernedperson. Yes, Paula Merchant's case was similar and Rivera is on death row in Georgia, isn't he? He claims to have no knowledge of Dinwiddie and Merchant from what I can remember but he was living in Columbia when Dail disappeared.

This UNID female could be a SC person. For those of you not familiar with the geography, SC is just across the Savannah River from where the body was found. Seems to me that whoever dumped the body there knew/knows the area pretty well. It's not a road (now that I've looked it up on Mapquest I realize I've passed it a hundred times going from SC to MCG) you would just happen to stumble across looking for a place to hide a body. It's a perfect place to hide a body. And I would wonder if the body hasn't been seen before these people reported it. The transients and others who are common to that area aren't exactly the kind who want contact with LE.

Wonder if there's anyway we can get an inside scoop on the clothing found, state of decay of the skeleton, etc...

I agree about the body being seen before and transients wouldn't report it. The remains were sent to the GBI Lab in Atlanta. I, at one point thought it was Tara Grinstead due to the description but it fits Dail and Paula and a known murderer was operating in the area. So the only reason for the delay could be no DNA matches or they are collecting evidence for prosecution.

The more I read about Rivera and his methods I don't think he is the culprit in Dail's case. In years after she went missing, he was soliciting girls by offering to pay them for pictures-he wasn't grabbing them off the street. From what I've read about serial murderers/rapists/etc.. they progress in the opposite direction. In other words he wouldn't have gone from grabbing Dail to then offering to pay girls. And I'm sure from what I've read about Dail and her family, she wouldn't have one minute fallen for "Hey you look like a model, can I take pictures of you", especially not alone at 5 points in Columbia middle of the night.

A friend of mine works at a local paper and I've got him asking around at the Augusta Chronicle. I'll let you know if I found out anything. Sure would like to know what clothing remains they found.

I just have a gut feeling that this is Dail. I hope so. I don't want her to be dead but her family needs answers, it's been 15 years.

She was such a cute, cute girl. :(

I was online looking at different sites this morning and saw that John Couey was arrested in Augusta, GA in March 2005. I doubt he is related to this thread's subject but it alarmed me nonetheless.

According the the article at http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/6676857.html

"Right now the body appears to be fully intact," Sgt. Roundtree said. "We have a large portion of it."

From the above statement I do not know if the Sgt. meant that the skeleton was found with bones still connected as a unit aka articulated? Or, did he mean that much of the skeleton was found, albeit the bones were dis-articulated; but, much of the individual bones were intact. If the skeleton was found with most bones still connected aka articulated, then the TOD may be closer to less than 4 months prior to being discovered.

If instead the bones were not connected when found, but some were individually, in good condition or intact, then the TOD would have a wider time range. Here is a site to explain lots about skeletal remains, including TOD.

http://www.anthro4n6.net/forensics/

Lion

According the the article at http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/6676857.html

"Right now the body appears to be fully intact," Sgt. Roundtree said. "We have a large portion of it."

From the above statement I do not know if the Sgt. meant that the skeleton was found with bones still connected as a unit aka articulated? Or, did he mean that much of the skeleton was found, albeit the bones were dis-articulated; but, much of the individual bones were intact. If the skeleton was found with most bones still connected aka articulated, then the TOD may be closer to less than 4 months prior to being discovered.

If instead the bones were not connected when found, but some were individually, in good condition or intact, then the TOD would have a wider time range. Here is a site to explain lots about skeletal remains, including TOD.

http://www.anthro4n6.net/forensics/

Lion

Thanks, Lion, for the article. It was very informative and I wish we could keep it as a sticky somewhere. Finch mentioned that articles of clothing were found. We don't know what kind yet but if you look at the chart provided than TOD would have to be less than 35 months.Cotton or leather are the hardiest of materials when a body is on the surface vs. buried. So, if this chart is accurate the remains have been there a maximum of 35 months but less is more likely.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back