NY NY - White Plains, WhtFem Skeletal, ~70, in woods near Bloomingdale's, Mar'07

englishleigh

Authentic Southern Belle
Reaction score
Fox News just reported that construction workers have found a skeleton in the woods in White Plains, NY. No other information is known right now and there's no article as of yet to link to.

Found a link to the story. http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=22&art_id=nw20070327221535120C660333

The bones were about 9m from the sidewalk on Bloomingdale Road, between two entrances to the shop, whose massive main branch in Manhattan is famed for its designer fashions, Jackson said. The landscapers found the skeleton under heavy brush.

"It's conceivable people walked by it for a long time without seeing it," he said.

All I can say is wow. How does nobody see a dead body? Or even *smell* it?

I live not far from there (long island)
and seriousl I can't picture this in my mind at all. Does anyone find a link with a picture? I am seriously stumped. :confused:

MG

Sorry guys, meds are making me an insomniac.
here's an update from this Morning's Newsday

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/w...ar28,0,7353976.story?coll=ny-region-apnewyork
Medical examiner: Skeleton near N.Y. Bloomingdale's was old woman

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (AP) _ The human skeleton found in woods near a suburban Bloomingdale's was a white woman about 70 years old, police said Wednesday.

The medical examiner's office based its finding on bone structure, Deputy Commissioner Daniel Jackson said. There was no word Wednesday on the cause of death or an identity, he said.

However, the preliminary profile matched a missing-person case from last summer, he said. An elderly white woman from White Plains was reported missing by her family in August, he said.

He cautioned that there was no definite match pending more forensic examination.

The examination of the skeleton, found Tuesday by landscapers on Bloomingdale Road, revealed "no sign of obvious foul play," Jackson said.
"But there was so little tissue, you can't say yet that it wasn't foul play," he added.

The bones were found about 30 feet from the sidewalk, between two entrances to the store. The landscapers found the skeleton under heavy brush.

Copyright 2007 Newsday Inc

Please can you edit your post, MrsG728? it's very difficult to look through because something is amiss.

thank you.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn she didn't die where her skeleton was found because it would be unthinkable at least landscapers wouldn't have looked around the bush area at some point far earlier.

I can't imagine a 70 year old woman crawling under heavy brush and dying. Something doesn't fit. Is it possible, I wonder that the heavy brush was not there last August? Are they talking about chopped down heavy brush? Or are they talking about living heavy brush. I just don't get this.

I see now that if the headlines read, "Skeleton found in woods...snip", then the brush was living brush. If she was confused due to Alzheimer's, a stroke, or another illness, I guess I can see how she would end up there. But, until I see pics I can't help but think something doesn't fit.

Lion

Please can you edit your post, MrsG728? it's very difficult to look through because something is amiss.

thank you.

Good eyes! Thanks for looking out... it did look yucky indeed! :)

Is this a possible?
http://www.troopers.state.ny.us/Wanted_and_Missing/Missing/view.cfm?ID=95c7a436-37ad-4a3f-b185-c5f604e15e5e
Race: White
Sex: Female
DOB: 01/09/1919
Height: 5 feet
Weight: 100 pounds
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Gray
Other: Wears Glasses

Additional Information
Time: 2:30pm
Miscellaneous: Mrs. Jackson's residence was destroyed by a fire in the early morning hours of 12/22/2006. The last known contact with Mrs. Jackson was at her residence the day before the fire.

Anyone with information regarding Geraldine Jackson's whereabouts are asked to contact the New York State Police at Boston, (716)941-9300.

If you have any information, please call:

Agency: New York State Police, Boston
Address: 8550 Boston State Road Boston , New York 14025
Phone: 716-941-9300
or e-mail the information to:
nysvicap@troopers.state.ny.us
Please include your
name, address and
telephone number.

Good question, rich. West Falls is just SE of Buffalo, which is close to Toronto, Canada. This is where Geraldine disappeared from. Yet, the Princess Doe was found in White Plains NY, somewhere round 250 miles to the East by South East of West Falls, in White Plains, NY. I wonder how and why she would have gotten there, and how and why she would have been found dead, under brush. Yet, I cannot find any other missing persons who even closely resemble Geraldine. Can you? Maybe we ought to check NJ, PA, and CT missing persons sites because of the close proximitiy of those states to the area in which Princess Doe was found.

Lion

Is this a possible?
http://www.troopers.state.ny.us/Wan...w.cfm?ID=95c7a436-37ad-4a3f-b185-c5f604e15e5e

Additional Information
Miscellaneous: Mrs. Jackson's residence was destroyed by a fire in the early morning hours of 12/22/2006. The last known contact with Mrs. Jackson was at her residence the day before the fire.

Anyone with information regarding Geraldine Jackson's whereabouts are asked to contact the New York State Police at Boston, (716)941-9300.

If you have any information, please call:

Agency: New York State Police, Boston
Address: 8550 Boston State Road Boston , New York 14025
Phone: 716-941-9300
or e-mail the information to:
nysvicap@troopers.state.ny.us
Please include your
name, address and
telephone number.

I would definitely check PA, CT and NJ databases, especially CT and NJ. White Plains, NY is very close to CT.

Is this a possible?
http://www.troopers.state.ny.us/Wanted_and_Missing/Missing/view.cfm?ID=95c7a436-37ad-4a3f-b185-c5f604e15e5e

Additional Information

I did not find anything definitive about this potential match but it seems very possible to me seeing as how this skeleton was found March 2007 and the social security death index has someone with her DOB and hometown listed as dead 31 Mar 2007.

http://ssdi.rootsweb.ancestry.com/
JACKSON, GERALDINE B 09 Jan 1919 31 Mar 2007 (V) 88 14170 (West Falls, Erie, NY)

Also, she is no longer listed as missing at the link:
http://www.troopers.state.ny.us/Wanted_and_Missing/Missing/index.cfm

No, scratch that. Geraldine Jackson was found at the end of March 2007, according to this discussion, but in different circumstances.
http://fromwhisperstor.6.forumer.co...sing-dec-2006-ny-body-found_post22009-15.html

She and another elderly woman, Nancy Phelps were found in a barrel in a Colden barn. There was a man named Robert Henchen arrested. He's dead too now, and his relatives say it was due to medical neglect in jail.
http://findarticles.com/p/news-arti.../henchens-kin-tie-death-neglect/ai_n42977807/

http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=48231
Henchen was accused charged with strangling his 87-year-old neighbor, Geraldine Jackson, and fatally beating his wife's aunt, 69-year-old Nancy Phelps of Marilla. Both women had been missing since January. Their bodies were found in April in a barn in Colden, about 20 miles south of Buffalo.

At least two sources involved in the investigation confirmed to 2 On Your Side, that DNA evidence ties Henchen to the killings.

So, Geraldine Jackson had nothing to do with the skeleton this thread is about.

I'm from the White Plains area, I don't remember hearing about this, though I would have been just a teenager at the time. Any idea why isn't she listed in NAMUS?

Bloomingdale Rd. is a busy area, a large upscale mall was built there in 1995. There's also a psych hospital right down the road. Would love to know how someone ended up under the brush in such an odd location. There are plenty of more discreet places to dispose of a body if that were the case.

I'm from the White Plains area, I don't remember hearing about this, though I would have been just a teenager at the time. Any idea why isn't she listed in NAMUS?

Bloomingdale Rd. is a busy area, a large upscale mall was built there in 1995. There's also a psych hospital right down the road. Would love to know how someone ended up under the brush in such an odd location. There are plenty of more discreet places to dispose of a body if that were the case.

The information above suggest that they probably knew her identity. However, there is no subsequent info to say for sure that she was positively ID'd. She isn't in NamUs, but there are alot of UID cases that haven't yet been entered in NamUs.

... However, the preliminary profile matched a missing-person case from last summer, he said. An elderly white woman from White Plains was reported missing by her family in August, he said.

He cautioned that there was no definite match pending more forensic examination.

Can't find anything more about this case and she isn't listed anywhere that I could find, so I presume she was the missing woman and the family elected not to publicize the identity.

If somebody has time to poke around in the White Plains area newspapers for a matching obituary from 2007, that might turn up something. I didn't find her on a quick Google search, however.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back