New Guinea - Amelia Earhart & Fred Noonan, en route to Howland Island, 2 July 1937

Dark Knight

Reaction score

It's the coldest of cold cases, and yet it keeps warming to life. Seventy years after Amelia Earhart disappeared, clues are still turning up. Long-dismissed notes taken of a shortwave distress call beginning, "This is Amelia Earhart...," are getting another look.

The previously unknown diary of an Associated Press reporter reveals a new perspective.

A team that has already found aircraft parts and pieces of a woman's shoe on a remote South Pacific atoll hopes to return there this year to search for more evidence, maybe even DNA.

If what's known now had been conveyed to searchers then, might Earhart and her navigator have been found alive? It's one of a thousand questions that keep the case from being declared dead, as Earhart herself was a year and a half after she vanished.

The extraordinary new info is at this link:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070331/ap_on_re_us/search_for_amelia

Thanks DK---very informative article! Just when you think you know all of the posibilities, another one is presented. Fascinating.

i did not know about the young ladies that heard the short-wave radio transmissions. while i do not doubt the sincereity of either of these women, i do wonder if someone was just on the short-wave pretending to be amelia. did the word "hoax" even exist back then? i guess regardless, the result is the same, amelia never found. a very sad ending to such a romantic adventure.

I tried to get this today but our library system has only one copy so I got put on a waiting list. The book store didn't have it so I either have to wait or get it online. I'll probably go ahead and buy it. The AP actually put out a longer version of the story, but I was unable to find it on the wire at work this weekend.

There was a bit today in the Rocky Mountain News about this today. Intriguing mystery as to what happened to her and Noonan. They pictured a heel from a shoe and a piece of plexiglass found on an island.

I read the article in the newspaper a day or so ago and was very intrigued. I came away with the impression that had people been aware that Amelia was truly lost, a more intensive search might have been conducted in the area where she last reported being.

The article mentions the heel from a (possible man's) shoe was found, as well as an woman's entire shoe. Since this is an island where the natives did not wear shoes, it is intriguing to speculate where these items came from.

I think someday this mystery will be solved once and for all.

I have searched this site for a thread on Amelia Earhart and cannot find one. I find this hard to believe! Earhart's disappearence is the most famous cold case and tantalizing missing persons case in history and I thought for sure I would find a thread about her.
It is possible she just crashed but there is a lot of theory's that she went down in the Marshall Islands and was captured by the Japanese and even speculation she was on a special top secret mission under FDR to 'crash' in the Marshall Islands and gather info. 2 teens with transistor radio insist they heard Amelia's distress calls the day after she disappeared. One of those people was still alive when the below article was written and she still insist on what she heard. At the time she had written it down in a note book and her father contacted the Coast Guard. Considering some of the artifacts that have been found on Gardner Island it seems plausible they crashed but survived for awhile.
As far fetched as some of these theories may get I find her disappearence fascinating.
Please point me in the direction of a thread about her on here if there is one and I shall delete this.

http://www.ameliaearhart.com/home.php

http://www.tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/AEoverview.html

http://www.livescience.com/history/070401_ap_earhart.html

http://www.tighar.org/TTracks/12_2/logjam.html Itasca Logs

i will dive in to discussion as soon as I have finished packing and moving, lol...

I've always been fascinated about Emilia's disappearance, would love to know what really became of her.

tighar.org is the best resource for Amelia. They have spent years, including visits, to possible sources of her disappearance.

tighar.org is the best resource for Amelia. They have spent years, including visits, to possible sources of her disappearance.
I am going to check out that site.

Wow, so there really wasn't a thread for Amelia. I thought for sure someone would be like, old news here's the thread.

tighar.org has a TON of information. Very interesting.

The History Channel had a special on about her disappearence over the weekend which is what re-sparked my interest. I am excited to hear people's theories and sources of information. Can't spend much time right now - American Idol is on!

Not much discussion from me. I've followed tighar.org for years, and I think they've been serious in all their searches and are "right on" with theories about Nikumaroro. I note that tighar has changed it's format a bit, allowing people to discuss ideas.

One thing that surprised me, however, from what I've read about Amelia is that she may not have been the best woman flier but the publicity generated by her husband made it seem so.

I am so glad someone started this. I just wrote an englsih paper on her. i have always wanted to know what really happened to her since I was a kid.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back