Couple fights to name baby 'Metallica'

hipmamajen

I love the friends I have gathered together on thi
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070403/ap_on_fe_st/baby_metallica

STOCKHOLM, Sweden - Metallica may be a cool name for a heavy metal band, but a Swedish couple is struggling to convince officials it is also suitable for a baby girl.
<SCRIPT language=javascript>if(window.yzq_d==null)window.yzq_d=new Object();window.yzq_d['E_WqZdGDJHs-']='&U=13bgsrnqf%2fN%3dE_WqZdGDJHs-%2fC%3d570219.10469895.11099013.1442997%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d4307658';</SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT>
b
</NOSCRIPT>

Michael and Karolina Tomaro are locked in a court battle with Swedish authorities, which rejected their application to name their six-month-old child after the legendary rock band.

"It suits her," Karolina Tomaro, 27, said Tuesday of the name. "She's decisive and she knows what she wants."

Although little Metallica has already been baptized, the Swedish National Tax Board refused to register the name, saying it was associated with both the rock group and the word "metal."

Tomaro said the official handling the case also called the name "ugly."

I think we all know someone whose name wouldn't have passed muster because it was weird or ugly or something. I guess I can't decide which is worse, not giving the parents the right to choose any name they see fit for their child, or dealing with the fact that some kids have some pretty scary names...

The government in Portugal has a list of names which may legally be given to a child. if the name's not on the list, you aren't allowed to name your child thus.
here is a part of the rule (it's from a blog, but it is so):

Each proper name must be in the list of Admissible Names: They must conform to Portuguese phonetics, and cannot be gender-ambiguous.

http://fortes.com/2004/10/20/portuguesenames/

i remember being astonished when i first learned this some years ago while living in Portugal.

Siblings may not have the same name: unless one of them is deceased. &#8212; i suppose that would put paid to Michael Jackson's naming tradition &#8212; don't all three have the same name?

What a strange name to want to call your kid and they're not even famous- lol

That's a bit rough not being able to call your kid what you want, remind never to live in Portugal!

I don't know what MJ called his kids, one was Prince I think- I try not to take too much notice of him

What a strange name to want to call your kid and they're not even famous- lol

That's a bit rough not being able to call your kid what you want, remind never to live in Portugal!

I don't know what MJ called his kids, one was Prince I think- I try not to take too much notice of him

Metallica is pretty famous here and in Europe.

I've got friends whose son #1 is named James Lars, son #2 is Jason Kirk and their cat is Hetfield. :) Metallica is the best rock band to ever exist.

I've never heard of the govenment being able to control the naming of children - thats nuts.

George Forman (sp?) named all his sons George! (I think he has 4 or 5 sons)
I am going to admit that my sons are also all named after their father.... With variations.... He has no middle name and they do..

OK I was an L&D nurse from 10 years and you would not believe the names people give there babies. Only on rare occasion did we say "are you sure." Like it or not people should be able to name there own baby. What I don't get is people not thinking about a name being something that is with a child for a lifetime. A teenager may think the name Metallica is cool but, come 40 she would wish for a name like Beth or Shelly.

I have an idea lets all list any interesting baby names you have heard.

I'll start: Merle, Verle, and Pearl (siblings)

I believe Sweden does have fairly strict rules on what you can name babies, and possibly a list of admissable names like Portugal does.

If they want to name their child Metallica, they should be allowed to do so.

I went to high school with someone named Uranus. Had an inquiry on a condo once from a Vanilla Cloud. Met a couple who named their son Axton. I thought it was a cool name. Those stand out.

Years ago I went to school with a Ronald macdonald.....that was long before Australia had ever heard of Maccas

Metallica is pretty famous here and in Europe.

I know the band is probably famous...I meant the couple- they arent famous..
They should be allowed to call their child whatever they want too Cubby

LOL on the Ronald MacDonald Dingo.
I went to school with a kid named Albert Albertini lol

I forgot to mention Richard Picker and he used the first name Dick. Really.

I've got friends whose son #1 is named James Lars, son #2 is Jason Kirk and their cat is Hetfield. Metallica is the best rock band to ever exist.:)

I love your friends and I love you. :D

I walked down the aisle with a Metallica song playing... no Celine Dion for me... LOL!

There were triplets at our school named Huey, Dewey and Louie. Really. Now those parents should have been stopped!

I also went to school with a girl named Snow. I loved that name. I used to think I might use it one day for a little girl, but my DH thought I was crazy when I mentioned it.

And my first boss was named Autumn Field. It was her married name, too, so her parents didn't even plan it. Another beautiful name.

My oldest son is named after his dad and, technically, should have been a Jr. BUT I have a 57 yo great uncle who is still called Junior. I hate that! So instead of Billy Bob Smith, Jr., I named him Billy Bob Smith, II. (Not really, just the II part). Anyway, you should have heard the uproar. All about how it's not correct and I wasn't allowed to do that and blah, blah blah. Give me a break! People can name their kid Apple and Dweezel, but I have to follow rules about Junior vs. II?????

Drives people nuts. But that's what's on the BC.

I forgot to mention Richard Picker and he used the first name Dick. Really.
Dick picker those parents must have disliked that baby:) ....we had a politican in our area called Richard Face and he was advising on telly for votes and were just thinking ..not in this life time

Dick picker those parents must have disliked that baby:) ....we had a politican in our area called Richard Face and he was advising on telly for votes and were just thinking ..not in this life time

LOL Dingo.

Huey Dewey and Louie- thats just cruel!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070403/ap_on_fe_st/baby_metallica

STOCKHOLM, Sweden - Metallica may be a cool name for a heavy metal band, but a Swedish couple is struggling to convince officials it is also suitable for a baby girl.
<SCRIPT language=javascript>if(window.yzq_d==null)window.yzq_d=new Object();window.yzq_d['E_WqZdGDJHs-']='&U=13bgsrnqf%2fN%3dE_WqZdGDJHs-%2fC%3d570219.10469895.11099013.1442997%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d4307658';</SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT>
b
</NOSCRIPT>

Michael and Karolina Tomaro are locked in a court battle with Swedish authorities, which rejected their application to name their six-month-old child after the legendary rock band.

"It suits her," Karolina Tomaro, 27, said Tuesday of the name. "She's decisive and she knows what she wants."

Although little Metallica has already been baptized, the Swedish National Tax Board refused to register the name, saying it was associated with both the rock group and the word "metal."

Tomaro said the official handling the case also called the name "ugly."

I think we all know someone whose name wouldn't have passed muster because it was weird or ugly or something. I guess I can't decide which is worse, not giving the parents the right to choose any name they see fit for their child, or dealing with the fact that some kids have some pretty scary names...

As a Metallica fan, I kind of like it! :D

I like the name. But then again - I'll buck tradition any day. If I ever have another daughter, I will name it Barbara Kathleen - after... ME! Yep. Guys do it all the time. My turn. :)

I had a best friend growing up whose name was Ginger Rogers and the guy who fixed our ice cream fountain (antique) was named Donald Duck. He said he was in the military and often got into trouble when a Seargent would ask him his name. :)

I could have a kid named Metallica. Although I like Judas Priest better, I'm not naming a kid Judas. I like Anthrax better, too... but nah. :)

I like the name. But then again - I'll buck tradition any day. If I ever have another daughter, I will name it Barbara Kathleen - after... ME! Yep. Guys do it all the time. My turn. :)

I had a best friend growing up whose name was Ginger Rogers and the guy who fixed our ice cream fountain (antique) was named Donald Duck. He said he was in the military and often got into trouble when a Seargent would ask him his name. :)

I could have a kid named Metallica. Although I like Judas Priest better, I'm not naming a kid Judas. I like Anthrax better, too... but nah. :)

LOL @ Anthrax!!
My sister and her hubby adore Metallica ... I am soooo relieved this idea never occurred to them when they had my neice or nephew.
It was hard enough to talk them out of Raven Star for my neices name:)

I went to school with one girl named Brandy Bourbon and another named Penny Dollar.
I swear I could not even make that up!

I went to school with Ben Dover and Ilene Dover and I once got a speeding ticket from Officer Dick Prick.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back