GUILTY IL - Officer Anthony Abbate for beating & kicking woman, Chicago, 2007

I can't believe how the other guys in the bar just stood there and watched it happen.
I know, that surprised me too. Nobody around the bar tried to intervene. I wonder if was because they knew he was cop? Drunk or not, there is no excuse for the cop's behavior.

I know, that surprised me too. Nobody around the bar tried to intervene. I wonder if was because they knew he was cop? Drunk or not, there is no excuse for the cop's behavior.

I think they just couldn't believe it...it looked like one guy pulled out his cell phone right away but didn't use it, and then they did eventually intervene. Plus, it had to be a little scary. That guy was huge! And obviously really drunk.

What amazed me is that she got up after being beaten like that. I mean, I was expecting to see her curled up on the floor in a ball, but she got up and walked away from him. That's one tough cookie.

"Later on the night of the attack, someone approached the bartender saying he was there on behalf of Abbate and offered her money not to report the incident, according to court records."

Nice. Above the law much?

"Later on the night of the attack, someone approached the bartender saying he was there on behalf of Abbate and offered her money not to report the incident, according to court records."

Nice. Above the law much?

Oh this is a big thing story in Chicago now.

That was terrible, I hope the cop is treated like any other felon, charged and thrown of the police force. :slap:

The dude clearly has some major issues. Glad she is ok.

This officer is a disgrace to the uniform, he needs to have the book thrown at him. Due to incidents like this, people are afraid to go to police for help. No one calling for help makes me wonder if there are other incidents with police there that aren't reported due to coverups offers of payoffs. May this one bad apple not ruin the other shining bunch.

That was terrible, I hope the cop is treated like any other felon, charged and thrown of the police force. :slap:

That's the sad part... he WASN'T being treated like a felon and thrown off the police force... UNTIL the media got a hold of that tape. His "friends" threatened her to keep quiet, and his boss "slapped" his wrist.

NOW tho, from what I understand, he is having charges pressed. I even read the other day that the chief (?) of police has "retired" - and they speculate it's over this incident and one other.

Yes - my reading was that he was originally charged w/ a misdemeanor (i.e. maximum penalty is one year in jail - and probation is usually what happens) That's outrageous - thank god there was video.

This guy definitely has no business roaming around with a badge and a gun. And good if his boss was forced to retire because of earlier inaction.

There have been some well-documented studies on police officers who commit crimes, including domestic abuse, and get away with it because the victim is afraid to come forward, figuring (and rightly so, I image in many cases) that his co-workers will do nothing.

There have been some well-documented studies on police officers who commit crimes, including domestic abuse, and get away with it because the victim is afraid to come forward, figuring (and rightly so, I image in many cases) that his co-workers will do nothing.

I can think of three domestic abuse cases offhand where this was the situation, and the officer later murdered his wife and/or kids.

I can also think of a few cases just here in my county where wife called 911 for help, and then later recanted. In that case, the DA was trying to prosecute and she was saying LE had overreacted to her call. I think they did end up withdrawing that one - but in WI many Domestic Abuse cases go forward with or without victim's testimony or consent.

Shoot ... :furious: with it caught on tape and all, there's no need for a plea deal.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/791659,021308abbate.article

A lawyer for police officer Anthony Abbate — videotaped beating up a female bartender — signaled today his client might plead guilty.

Abbate’s lawyer Peter Hickey requested a “402 conference,” in which prosecutors, defense counsel and a judge discuss a possible plea deal.

Abbate, suspended from the police force, is charged with aggravated battery, as well as official misconduct, communicating with a witness, intimidation and conspiracy in the Feb. 19 incident at Jesse’s Shortstop Inn.

LOL, I keep finding more.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-abbate_beating_pleafeb14,1,4662654.story

Prosecutors oppose a deal for Abbate if he avoids prison in return for pleading guilty, according to a state's attorney's office source. Abbate is charged with 15 felony counts of aggravated battery in a public place, communication with a witness, intimidation, conspiracy and official misconduct. He faces a maximum of 5 years in prison if convicted.

He should not only lose his job but do jail time too. I remember that video... what he did to that woman... and then threatened her if she said anything to anyone... he deserves the maximum... NOT a plea deal.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/836134,031108beat.article

Plea deal in cop beating case falls through

March 11, 2008
BY ERIC HERMAN Criminal Courts Reporter

An expected plea deal in the case of Anthony Abbate — the Chicago cop whose beating of a female bartender was captured on a video seen around the world — has fallen apart, lawyers said Tuesday.

Abbate, 39, is charged with beating Karolina Obrycka at Jesse's Shortstop Inn on the Northwest Side on Feb. 19, 2007. Last month, his lawyer Peter Hickey entered plea negotiations with prosecutors, and Abbate had been expected to plead guilty today.

----------- More at link

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire