Lost in jungle, hikers lived on frogs, spiders

kahskye

Inactive
Reaction score
CAYENNE, French Guiana (AP) -- Two hikers lost in the dense jungle of French Guiana for weeks survived by eating the only things at hand: beetles and other insects, frogs and spiders.

The French hikers, Guilhem Nayral and Loic Pillois, were found Thursday, French authorities said.
They had left February 14 for a hike from the Grand Kanori rapids on the river Approuague to the tiny village of Saul. Their families alerted authorities on February 28, two days after they were scheduled to arrive.
"After 12 days, we hadn't arrived in Saul. We thought that someone would come looking for us, so we stopped. We waited for three weeks in the same place. We heard helicopters pass, and we figured that we had to make ourselves seen. So we cut down trees to make a fire," Pillois told reporters, according to RFO television.

"We ate palm seeds, we drank water because we always had a river next to us, where we washed. We also trapped insects and beetles. We ate frogs and tarantulas.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/americas/04/06/lost.hikers.ap/index.html

I would have surely perished. I think I would have died from fear after seeing a tarantula before I starved from not eating them.

mrsjonnob i am with you, no hairy spiders for me either!!!!!!
I would probably just chew wood and drink water!

Somethings are worse than death ,and eating a tarantula would be one of them for me:p

I am arachnophobic, just the thought of a hairy tarantula gives me the heebie jeebies.:bang:

I am arachnophobic, just the thought of a hairy tarantula gives me the heebie jeebies.:bang:

Do you recall the movie Arachnophobia with John Goodman? I had to leave the room... my kids laughed me, but I couldnt even watch, I am that much of a pansy! :bang:

Do you recall the movie Arachnophobia with John Goodman? I had to leave the room... my kids laughed me, but I couldnt even watch, I am that much of a pansy! :bang:
Hi mrsjonnob, I cant even look at a spider on the TV, anywhere without getting the shivers, and if I think one has landed on me I just go ballistic, I am that scared of them.:crazy:

I think i could eat spiders if I was starving and in fear of death... But I am a big pansy when it comes to what I eat but the fear of starving to death would cure that...

I think i could eat spiders if I was starving and in fear of death... But I am a big pansy when it comes to what I eat but the fear of starving to death would cure that...
I think if we are put into a situation where we had to eat what is available, we would pretty much eat anything, but I really would have to be starving and anyway I have a bit of body fat to keep me going for a while.:laugh: :dance: :crazy:

I think if we are put into a situation where we had to eat what is available, we would pretty much eat anything, but I really would have to be starving and anyway I have a bit of body fat to keep me going for a while.:laugh: :dance: :crazy:
Me too... more since my Easter chokky binge!!

insects beetles and tarantulas?? NO WAY--frogs maybe,if they're cooked---yeccchh---anyway,this survival story would be a good one for the TV reality show "I Shouldn't Be Alive"--

insects beetles and tarantulas?? NO WAY--frogs maybe,if they're cooked---yeccchh---anyway,this survival story would be a good one for the TV reality show "I Shouldn't Be Alive"--
That is a great show Peter, those people have been looked after by their guardian angel. Its just another reminder of how lucky we are, imagine being in their shoes, scary.

Glad you like that show too--hope they make some more of them
Me too. They are life changing stories for those involved. It really brings home that noone is immortal and we should thank our lucky stars that we are here, and we should also remember there are always people worse of than ourselves. At least in these stories they have survived against all odds, I dont know how I would cope with the situations that they were in, Im just glad that I havent been in that situation.:)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back