TX TX - Deanna Merryfield, 13, Killeen, 22 July 1990 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissieMt

Reaction score
Hi eveyone. I have been registered here for a few months now, trying to get the courage up to post this thread.

Deanna Merryfield, my sister, went missing in July of 1990 from Killeen,Texas she was 14 years old. I was 11 years old when it happened and in my immaturity did not grasp the magnitude of the situation. As I've gotten older I've had more and more questions. Our family was in shambles at the time, and Deanna was living with our grandmother. I remember when my grandma called my Mom to say that Deanna was missing. She came by to get a picture of Deanna and then went to the police department to report her missing. My Mother was ill at the time, but I do not recall her being bed-ridden. For some reason no one really looked for Deanna. Now I want to, but I don't know where to begin. Her profile was never put on any national missing person list. I asked one of my sisters a few questions about a month ago and she talked to a detective once a few years ago that said Deanna's picture wasn't even in the report. My Mother passed away 5 years ago. Recentlly I have begun questioning everything that was going on at the time, and to say the least a lot of it wasn't good. I do not want to go into great detail on this thread just yet, but if you are really interested in helping you can pm me and I will let you know what I know. I live in Mississippi now, but I know you guys are amazing at this stuff, so any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Missie

Welcome to Websleuths. This is a great place to start. I am sorry for your loss and for everything you have struggled with. There are so many amazing people here that will be able to help you with your search and point you in the right direction to get more information. I wish I could be helpful, but I am not as good as the rest of them.

I just sent this to two detectives at the Killeen Police Department:

Dear Sir or Mam,
Thank you for taking the time out to read this email. My name is Melissa (edited out last name). I am contacting you about my sister Deanna Merryfield, who at the age of 14 went missing from Killeen in July of 1990, and was never found. I was eleven years old when she went missing, and in recent years have learned a lot about my family. I would like to learn more about her disappearance but I need to know how I can get her missing person report. I currently live in Biloxi, Mississippi so I do not know if it is even possible for me to receive her report via email or postal mail. I would like to have her registered with websites such as The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. If she is registered with these websites a whole new set of doors could open and maybe someday we could find her.
I am not expecting miracles, just a chance. She may have run away, but there were many people ( and family members) in her life at that time that may have caused harm to her.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, even if you just let me know who I should contact about this matter. Again, thank you for your time.
Sincerely,
Melissa

Missie

I think your e-mail is a good start. However I am not sure if they will be able to put Deanna on the Missing Person sites, or if you will need to. A good person to contact for help, might be Kelly Jolkowski. Her son Jason has been missing for several years. She founded projectjason to help other families with missing loved ones. Here is the address to read about Jason and to contact her. http://www.projectjason.org/

Kelly posts on many of the message boards and offers advice when she can. I think she may be able to help you (or point you in the right direction) to get Deanna's information posted.

Best of Luck.

Missie

I think your e-mail is a good start. However I am not sure if they will be able to put Deanna on the Missing Person sites, or if you will need to. A good person to contact for help, might be Kelly Jolkowski. Her son Jason has been missing for several years. She founded projectjason to help other families with missing loved ones. Here is the address to read about Jason and to contact her. http://www.projectjason.org/

Kelly posts on many of the message boards and offers advice when she can. I think she may be able to help you (or point you in the right direction) to get Deanna's information posted.

Best of Luck.

Thank you for the link ella's mom. I was asking them for the report so that I can give the info to places like projectjason, etc. I doubt police would put her on there so I was going to try to get her put on there myself. What if she occasionally looks at those sights and see's that no one is looking for her? I know the statistics would show that she probably isn't alive, and if thats the case then people like us here on websleuths could've been cross referencing her missing person poster with the doe network.

Thank you for the link ella's mom. I was asking them for the report so that I can give the info to places like projectjason, etc. I doubt police would put her on there so I was going to try to get her put on there myself. What if she occasionally looks at those sights and see's that no one is looking for her? I know the statistics would show that she probably isn't alive, and if thats the case then people like us here on websleuths could've been cross referencing her missing person poster with the doe network.

Missie-Hi and welcome to Websleuths! This is very brave of you to pursue searching for your sister. I have a million questions:
Do you have ANY pictures of your sister? Do you have a description of your sister, or any other information? What grade was she in? What school did she attend? Is your grandmother or grandfather still alive? What about aunts or uncles, or any other relatives that lived near your Grandmother? What were the cicumstances that she lived with your Grandmother? Did you also live with your Grandmother or your mother? Is your/her father still around? Do you think there is a possibility she ran away? What other details or information can you tell us? I have only been a member of Websleuths for a short time, but have read the boards for over two years, and you could not come to a more dedicated, loyal group of people than here!

Missie--Do you have any relatives named Kathie from TX, who married a David Lewis? What was Deanna's birthdate? What was your grandmothers name? I found an obituary for an Alta June Merryfield--any relation?

Was there any original police report? If so, can you obtain that, in order to get her on Doe Network etc? Did your mother or your grandmother live in Killeen?

Missie-Hi and welcome to Websleuths! This is very brave of you to pursue searching for your sister. I have a million questions:
Do you have ANY pictures of your sister? Do you have a description of your sister, or any other information? What grade was she in? What school did she attend? Is your grandmother or grandfather still alive? What about aunts or uncles, or any other relatives that lived near your Grandmother? What were the cicumstances that she lived with your Grandmother? Did you also live with your Grandmother or your mother? Is your/her father still around? Do you think there is a possibility she ran away? What other details or information can you tell us? I have only been a member of Websleuths for a short time, but have read the boards for over two years, and you could not come to a more dedicated, loyal group of people than here!
Thank you for your questions, there can not be too many in my opinion.Let me say first off that Deanna was 13 when she went missing, I had my math wrong. I'm very sketchy on the details because I was SO young. I will keep trying to pull the pieces together as I try to talk more with family about it.
I'm trying to get the most recent picture from family members right now. If I can't get any I will post what I have, but they are from when she was much younger. I'm not sure what grade she would have been going into, either 8th or 9th. I will try to find out from my other sisters, but Deanna can be a touchy subject at times. My Grandmother is still alive, but I have very little contact with her as with the rest of my extended family. I do think she could have ran away. She was very troubled at the time, and wasn't hanging out with the best group of people. There had been charges pressed against my step father for a sexual offense. We were all sent to live with different relatives and there was much shuffling that occured. I was living with my Mom when she went missing. None of us know the name of our real fathers, but none of them were ever in the picture. We have one uncle (James Merryfield), and several aunts (Kathy,Sharon,Sandy,Jeane). Although some of them were involved with drugs, etc. I can only assume they did not harm her.

Missie--Do you have any relatives named Kathie from TX, who married a David Lewis? What was Deanna's birthdate? What was your grandmothers name? I found an obituary for an Alta June Merryfield--any relation? Was there any original police report? If so, can you obtain that, in order to get her on Doe Network etc? Did your mother or your grandmother live in Killeen?

That Kathie could very well be my aunt, but she's been married a lot of times, so I'm not sure if that is one of her ex's she does live in Texas, and I think she lived in California before too. Deanna's birthdate was 2-02-1977. I don't know about the Alta June Merryfield, I've never heard that name.I am currently trying to get a hold on that police record. I emailed to people at Killeen pd today, one has been kind enough to quickly respond and said that he was going to forward my questions to the investigator that handles those cases.

Thank you for your questions, there can not be too many in my opinion.Let me say first off that Deanna was 13 when she went missing, I had my math wrong. I'm very sketchy on the details because I was SO young. I will keep trying to pull the pieces together as I try to talk more with family about it.
I'm trying to get the most recent picture from family members right now. If I can't get any I will post what I have, but they are from when she was much younger. I'm not sure what grade she would have been going into, either 8th or 9th. I will try to find out from my other sisters, but Deanna can be a touchy subject at times. My Grandmother is still alive, but I have very little contact with her as with the rest of my extended family. I do think she could have ran away. She was very troubled at the time, and wasn't hanging out with the best group of people. There had been charges pressed against my step father for a sexual offense. We were all sent to live with different relatives and there was much shuffling that occured. I was living with my Mom when she went missing. None of us know the name of our real fathers, but none of them were ever in the picture. We have one uncle (James Merryfield), and several aunts (Kathy,Sharon,Sandy,Jeane). Although some of them were involved with drugs, etc. I can only assume they did not harm her.

That Kathie could very well be my aunt, but she's been married a lot of times, so I'm not sure if that is one of her ex's she does live in Texas, and I think she lived in California before too. Deanna's birthdate was 2-02-1977. I don't know about the Alta June Merryfield, I've never heard that name.I am currently trying to get a hold on that police record. I emailed to people at Killeen pd today, one has been kind enough to quickly respond and said that he was going to forward my questions to the investigator that handles those cases.

Thanks for all the info. Just a thought...if there was an investigation of sexual assault, I wonder if a Childrens Protective Services file was made? If so, perhaps there is a social security number for your sister. If you can find a social on your sister, you can write to Social Security and find out of the number has ever been used--or if LE can find a file on your sister, they can investigate from this angle? So your sister was with your grandmother at the time she disappeared? If we can find out what school she went to, perhaps we can find someone who remembers her (friends) who may know what happened.

Yes, there should be a record of some sort through social services since our step father did recieve probation and has to register as a sex offender now. I'm gonna try to look into that more, and as soon as the investigator contacts me I will ask him about it. Thank you for the great idea!

I just checked my email and one of the officers I sent the email to replied! Hopefully I'll hear more soon. Also, I emailed my sisters asking for a better description of her. I know it sounds silly, but all I can remember was that she had blonde shoulder length hair, blue eyes ( I think) annd somewhat big ears. We also used to tease her about being "well developed" for her age and now I wonder, if she were found if that would affect someone's guess on an approximate age. And one of my sisters is going to ask my grandma if she has her ssn so maybe we can check out if it's been used.

Ms. [edited],

I am forwarding a copy of your email to Sgt. Reese Davis, the supervisor responsible for the section investigating your sisters disappearance. He should be able to let you know how, if possible, you can obtain information contained in our files regarding this investigation.

Scott Dickson

Scott Dickson
Intelligence Manager
Killeen, TX Police Department

Missy, I am in Killeen and have never heard of your sister's case. I moved to Killeen in '93. I do know some of the Sgts, and Investigators at KPD. If there is ANYTHING I can do on this end to help you, don't hesitate to let me know. Which KPD investigator are you working with? Do you know if there was any newspaper coverage on her. I could look that up with the Killeen Daily Herald if you have an approximate date for me to search.

On the KPD missing person's page there are only 2 people listed. If you have a photo of your sister I think she needs to be added.
http://www.ci.killeen.tx.us/killeenpd_com/missing.html

I have some questions for you:
1. Do any of the people she hung out with still live in Killeen?
If you have names I could see if they are still in the area.

2. What school did she last attend, I have friends that are teachers here, and maybe someone will remember her. They may even know the names of her friends at school.

Should you not want that information on the board right now, PM me.

ETA: I KNOW REESE!!!! I'll stay on his tail about it, he knows I will!!

Hi Missy- I admire you for stepping up to the search for your sister. It takes lots of courage. You have all my support and blessings.:D

Great group here on Websleuths!

One suggestion, if I may. and I guess maybe you may call me a little paronoid. But I think it might be best if you did not provide your full name and location on a public forum.You never know who is reading!:cool:

I tried to pm you this --but it did not go through for some reason.
I believe you can edit (erase info) for up to 24 hrs. Or contact a moderator for help.

Does anyone else agree or am I just overly concerned?

I know as a first time poster it is difficult to forsee many things. You will get lots of help here. So don't worry.

I bring this up lovingly as an older and protective poster.

Looking forward to see how your search develops and hope to help in any way I can.

P

Hi Missy- I admire you for stepping up to the search for your sister. It takes lots of courage. You have all my support and blessings.:D

One suggestion, if I may. and I guess maybe you may call me a little paronoid. But I think it might be best if you did not provide your full name and location on a public forum.You never know who is reading!:cool:

I believe you can edit (erase info) for up to 24 hrs. Or contact a moderator for help.

I know as a first time poster it is difficult to forsee many things. You will get lots of help here. So don't worry.

Looking forward to see how your search develops and hope to help in any way I can.

P

I agree with Petra. I might be one of the paranoid ones as well though!!

P

I agree with not posting your personal information. While there are many wonderful people on this board, it is an open forum, and there are unsavory characters on the internet.

I checked myspace, and there is no listing for your sister's name so we can rule that prospect out. I also checked zabasearch, and there is a Deanna Merryfield with a birthdate of 1961 in Wisconsin.

Thanks for posting this and I look forward to receiving additional info and helping you in your search.

Thanks to everyone for the questions and suggestions. Petra, you are probably right on the last name thing. I usually am just as paranoid, but didn't want to edit things out if I didn't have to.

Sadie-I'm trying to get a hold of my older sisters right now. I didn't get to see Deanna much before she went missing since she was living with my grandma and I was with our parents. I will have to find out the names of who she was hanging out with. I don't know if the had newspaper coverage. Most of the "grownups" that were atound seemed to act like it was no big deal, so I doubt it.
What is slowing me down right now is trying to get a police report. And how on earth do I go about getting files from family services?! Someone once told me that they could give them to me since I was interviewed by them to, and family of the involved parties- but that I would have to go there in person. And if you can let Reese know I'm very interested in speaking with him, that would be great!
Thank you again everyone!

Thanks to everyone for the questions and suggestions. Petra, you are probably right on the last name thing. I usually am just as paranoid, but didn't want to edit things out if I didn't have to.

Sadie-I'm trying to get a hold of my older sisters right now. I didn't get to see Deanna much before she went missing since she was living with my grandma and I was with our parents. I will have to find out the names of who she was hanging out with. I don't know if the had newspaper coverage. Most of the "grownups" that were atound seemed to act like it was no big deal, so I doubt it.
What is slowing me down right now is trying to get a police report. And how on earth do I go about getting files from family services?! Someone once told me that they could give them to me since I was interviewed by them to, and family of the involved parties- but that I would have to go there in person. And if you can let Reese know I'm very interested in speaking with him, that would be great!

Since you were a person in the investigation, I would think that you could call them to find out what the procedures are for records request, and take it from there.

Sorry to be posting so much-but I just got off the phone with one of my sisters.
Deanna went missing on July 22nd, 1990 (I knew the month and year but not the exact month)
She was attending Fairway Middle School, but was out on summer break, she would have entered 8th grade in the fall.
A few people she hung out with were:
Skipper White
Kenny Rodgers (not Rogers)
And a girl who went by the name of CoCo. I'm not sure of her last name.
She was approximatel 5ft 4in. tall

Missy, I will try to go to the station tomorrow and talk to Reese about your sister's case. I'll see if he can send you a copy of her file. I also have a friend who works at CPS. She started after your sister's case, but I'll ask her some questions to see if she can find something out for you.

Wow...you guys are wonderful. In just a few short hours, info is coming together.:woohoo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeachyTee