Here come the copycats

MrsG728

Reaction score
Sickos :furious: Look at the length of this article of copycats!
Threats rattle schools in 7 states

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070417/ap_on_re_us/university_bomb_threat&printer=1

Campus threats forced lock-downs and evacuations at universities and grade schools in seven states on Tuesday, a day after a Virginia Tech student's shooting rampage killed 33 people.
One threat in Louisiana directly mentioned the massacre in Virginia, while others were reports of suspicious activity in Texas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, North Dakota, South Dakota and Michigan.
In Louisiana, parents picked up hundreds of students from Bogalusa's high school and middle school amid reports that a man had been arrested Tuesday morning for threatening a mass killing in a note that alluded to the murders at Virginia Tech.
Schools Superintendent Jerry Payne said both schools were locked down and police arrested a 53-year-old man who allegedly made the threat in a note he gave to a student headed to the private Bowling Green School in Franklinton. Both towns are in southeastern Louisiana.
"The note referred to what happened at Virginia Tech," Payne said. "It said something like, 'If you think that was bad, then you haven't seen anything yet."
In Rapid City, S.D., schools were locked down after receiving reports of a man with a gun in a parking lot at Central High. No shots were fired and no injuries were reported, police said. The high school students were taken to the nearby Rushmore Plaza Civic Center, where parents were allowed to pick up their children.
In Austin, authorities evacuated buildings at St. Edward's University after a threatening note was found, a school official said.
Police secured the campus perimeter and were searching the buildings, St. Edward's University spokeswoman Mischelle Amador said. She declined to say where the note was found and said its contents were "nonspecific."
Amador said the university's reaction was not influenced by Monday's attack at Virginia Tech.
"No matter what day or when this would have happened, we will always take the necessary precautions to protect our students, our faculty, our staff, the entire university community," she said.
Seven North Dakota State University buildings were evacuated after a duffel bag was found outside a bus shelter in the main part of the campus. NDSU spokesman Dave Wahlberg said the shootings in Virginia reinforced the need to "err on the side of safety."
In Bloomfield Hills, Mich., police attributed a 30-minute lock-down at the exclusive Cranbrook Schools complex in response to jittery nerves following the Virginia slayings.
School officials called police after parents and students reported spotting a 6-foot-tall man in a skirt, high heels, lipstick and a blond wig near a school drop-off area outside Cranbrook's Kingswood Upper School, Lt. Paul Myszenski said. Police were unable to find anyone meeting the man's description.
At the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, officials ordered three campus administration buildings evacuated for almost two hours Tuesday morning in response to a telephone bomb threat. The city's bomb squad searched the buildings but found nothing, campus spokesman Chuck Cantrell said.
Cantrell said there was no reason to believe the bogus threat was related to the shootings at Virginia Tech, but "we just chose to err on the side of caution today."
The other, at the University of Oklahoma, had started with a report of a man spotted on campus carrying a suspicious object, officials said.
The man was carrying an umbrella, not a weapon, and he later identified himself to authorities, University of Oklahoma President David Boren said in a statement. Boren initially had said the person was believed to carrying a yoga mat.
"We now consider the matter closed," Boren said. "We always want to err on the side of caution in a situation like this."

>>At the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, officials ordered three campus administration buildings evacuated for almost two hours Tuesday morning in response to a telephone bomb threat.

My daighter is a freshman at UTC-she had just started a test his AM when a policeman burst into their classroom telling them to evacuate immediately. The campus looked like a war zone-kids running everywhere, SWAT teams, plicemen and firetrucks. It will be a miracle if someone was not seriously injured in the stampede off campus...

Shannon

I was seriously afraid to send my kids to school today.
The only reason I did is that I live on an island and I pretty much assume that the majority of the population is probably to stoned to take the energy required to go postal.

(kind of kidding)

Actually I think many schools were on high alert today.

I was seriously afraid to send my kids to school today.
The only reason I did is that I live on an island and I pretty much assume that the majority of the population is probably to stoned too take the energy required to go postal.

(kind of kidding)

Actually I think many schools were on high alert today.

Dear Amraann, please PM immediately with your address and precise directions to that island. :crazy:

This is just awful. Why is this kind of thing becoming more prevalent, I wonder? This is awful. I don't know what to say.

Lion

Yes,there are always the copycats.
There's a part of me that wishes there wasn't 24/7 media coverage on these kind of tragedys.Troubled people who want to become "famous" get off on this kind of attention,and feel they have nothing to lose,so at least die "famous".

But St. Edwards University, here, a much smaller college than Va.T., has a voice activated speaker system installed on several of its buildings, to warn or give instructions to students when necessary.

U. of Texas in Austin also has a preparedness plan in place; it is a huge school.

martha- i have been wondering the sme thing here. are schools here prepared, for this kind of 'domestic terrorism'...? that's good to know at least 2 major universities here have a speaker system in their buildings. i figured at least UT would (for obvious reasons). but it should be madatory to have it in ALL bldgs in ALL campuses. i mean come on, what century is this?? we have all these cell phones, blackberries, txt-messaging, internet, sattelite.. and we couldn't even get word across a college campus in TWO HOURS that there had been a shooting!! ridiculous!!!!!! it's like the tower of babel.. everybody yakking on their phones all the time and whatnot...and yet we can't even get a simple urgent message across.

another thing... schools should just hire MORE security guards... plain and simple. and the govt. should pay for it, since they seem to have endless billions to spend on this stupid war. how about doing a little more to protect your citizens here at home.....???

martha- i have been wondering the sme thing here. are schools here prepared, for this kind of 'domestic terrorism'...? that's good to know at least 2 major universities here have a speaker system in their buildings. i figured at least UT would (for obvious reasons). but it should be madatory to have it in ALL bldgs in ALL campuses. i mean come on, what century is this?? we have all these cell phones, blackberries, txt-messaging, internet, sattelite.. and we couldn't even get word across a college campus in TWO HOURS that there had been a shooting!! ridiculous!!!!!! it's like the tower of babel.. everybody yakking on their phones all the time and whatnot...and yet we can't even get a simple urgent message across.

another thing... schools should just hire MORE security guards... plain and simple. and the govt. should pay for it, since they seem to have endless billions to spend on this stupid war. how about doing a little more to protect your citizens here at home.....???

Oh, the govt. isn't going to pay, unless State Govt. for state schools.

I heard someone on TV tonight say, "What have we learned since 9-11? Not much." Those campus police could have called in reinforcements and RUN and RIDDEN to every building and given warning, locked up, whatever in TWO HOURS.

They act like someone shoots someone else on a campus EVERY DAY! Big Deal! (1st shooting) Yes, they've been watching too much cops and robbers also.

These are peoples' children - and we make no effort to protect them????

At the time the 2ed shootings started they had the guy they thought was the shooter in the 1st murders pulled over and were questioning him he was a x-boyfriend of one of the people from the first set. as for running around and warning everyone 1st they thought they had the rght guy already 2ed anyone who has been to Tech would know unless your a track star it can't be done and the level of painc that would caused could have lead to more deaths. every one running around could have tipped him off and he could have opened fire outside where every one would have been running. I do not think it's fair for anyone to judge they were wrong for not locking down the campus sooner, hindsight is 20/20 after all, but I can tell you if you live in a city of 27,000+ people the police don't lock down the city because of a double murder. Basicly that's what the tech police would have had to do. They had no way of seeing what would happen 2 hours later and given the fact there are major crimes at universities every day lock downs have to be done only when then are deemed absolutely needed. Not to mention my 1st point again they thought they had the guy already when the second shootings started.

The count is up to ten states now. :banghead:[/quote

This is horrible that people would try to copycat a crazed lunatic. But then again there are so many sick people in the world .its both sad and pathetic at the same time.

But St. Edwards University, here, a much smaller college than Va.T., has a voice activated speaker system installed on several of its buildings, to warn or give instructions to students when necessary.

U. of Texas in Austin also has a preparedness plan in place; it is a huge school.

Ours (UT) is a speaker system too. They are placed at several spots around campus. They are really, really loud. They had originally said you wouldn't hear them in buildings, but you do. I think it is a great idea, and I seriously can't believe it has taken this long to put something like this into place. It has only been operational for a little over a month. They said it was mainly because so many students wander around campus unaware of impending severe weather, but we also live with the reality of Whitman and the tower massacre. With 55,000 students on campus, plus faculty and staff, you know there are some loonies around and you never can tell who they are.

Wow, that didn't take long...

Yes,there are always the copycats.
There's a part of me that wishes there wasn't 24/7 media coverage on these kind of tragedys.Troubled people who want to become "famous" get off on this kind of attention,and feel they have nothing to lose,so at least die "famous".

These morons are too stupid to realize that dead is forever, where whatever small modicum of fame (or infamy) they acheive by these acts is momentary. Does anyone even recall the names of the two idiots from Columbine? (a rhetorical question)

So it's getting old now I go to ODU in Norfolk VA and we all got out early today because there was a phone warning that there would be a shooting. I don't know if it is related but there was a girl taken away on a stretcher and as I was leaving there were swat teams and helicopters the poor girl may have just passed out for all the goings on who knows point is exams start next week and I don't have time for all of these copycats just wanting to get out of class I pay alot of money to sit in that desk and it angers me that with a phone call they can waste my money.

Ours (UT) is a speaker system too. They are placed at several spots around campus. They are really, really loud. They had originally said you wouldn't hear them in buildings, but you do. I think it is a great idea, and I seriously can't believe it has taken this long to put something like this into place. It has only been operational for a little over a month. They said it was mainly because so many students wander around campus unaware of impending severe weather, but we also live with the reality of Whitman and the tower massacre. With 55,000 students on campus, plus faculty and staff, you know there are some loonies around and you never can tell who they are.

I'm glad to know that - they mentioned last night on TV that UT had a plan, but I didn't hear everything.

Yes, I was starting UT myself in 66, and I was on campus during the shooting.

Maybe other schools could use this model for a speaker system.

and if i may say so... once again, notice that all the culprits are men (boys). (at least, that we know of). but, boys will be boys, right....?

and if i may say so... once again, notice that all the culprits are men (boys). (at least, that we know of). but, boys will be boys, right....?

Yes. And do fewer males go for psychological help, or want to accept it when they see a psychologist or psychiatrist?

You have a depressed male, you'd better be alot more worried than a depressed female - that the male will go through with suicide; of course these mass killings are relatively rare.

Seems that women will kill themselves more passively or indirectly - too many drugs, overdosing - witness Anna Nicole, Marilyn, Judy Garland; some turn to food and grossly overeat; altho so do some males.

As far as Schizophrenia - doesn't that strike more males also?

Men need help; we've known that for a long time. :rolleyes:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suvendudash