Transgender Student Runs for Prom King

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
FRESNO, Calif. (AP) -- When school officials announce the name of the Fresno High School prom king on Saturday, Cinthia Covarrubias will be wearing a tuxedo just like the six boys vying for the honor.
School officials this week added the 17-year-old's name to the ballot for prom king, reversing a previous district protocol that allowed only males to run for king and females for prom queen.
Gay youth advocates called it a landmark victory for campus gender expression and said they believe it's the first time in the U.S. that an openly transgender student has run for prom royalty.
Covarrubias, who wears black-and-white Vans, baggy shorts and close-cropped brown hair, sometimes identifies herself as Tony. Her date, a close female friend, plans to wear a black dress and red corsage to the prom at an outdoor reception hall surrounded by man-made waterfalls.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/T/TRANSGENDER_PROM_KING?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=HOME

Good. Why not? If he identifies as male, why shouldn't he run from prom king?

(Other than the obvious reason that we should have done away with prom kings and queens long ago.)

Good. Why not? If he identifies as male, why shouldn't he run from prom king?

(Other than the obvious reason that we should have done away with prom kings and queens long ago.)

I am totally ok with this..
I am sick and tired of gays being bashed...
The fact of the matter is I would not like to see a straight couple sucking face in public.
Keep what you do in your room to yourself.

run from Prom King?? Is that one of those Freudian slips??

LOL.

I recently saw that All My Children has a transgendered character. We've definitely come along way, although we still have a ways to go.

makes me wish things could have been different for my friend Duke (born April Ann). turned out ok, at least i think so, but he (cant help thinking of him as 'he') went through a lot of crap in school. gym was the only reason people ever knew. now, nobody knows hes female unless they know him well. he is partnered (i think of them as married) with my friend Melissa, out lesbian since she was 14 or so. Melissa went through almost no trouble in school...i guess because guys think lez is sexy, for some reason, and girls feel no competition.

as far as i know, hes never considered surgery. they dont have that kind of money, anyway, and im not sure what Melissa would do LOL

side note: when they decided they wanted a baby, Duke was the one who had the baby (and breast fed).

Duke doesnt consider himself gay, as far as he is concerned he is male.

I couldn't possibly imagine not being comfortable in my own skin. I really feel bad for transgender people. Those who are stuck in a body they feel that doesn't belong to them must be a nightmare.

run from Prom King?? Is that one of those Freudian slips??

You know me so well.

Yes, I see no reason to have prom kings and queens in the first place.

(ETA: as if high school kids need a formal election to know who's popular!)

I don't think transgender is considered the same as gay, is it?

No, but we gays are often grouped with transgendered persons because, like them, we are stigmatized for innate characteristics related to gender and sexuality.

In recognition of this, the gay community usually calls itself LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgendered) nowadays.

But the connection is primarily political rather than psychological or physical.

makes me wish things could have been different for my friend Duke (born April Ann). turned out ok, at least i think so, but he (cant help thinking of him as 'he') went through a lot of crap in school. gym was the only reason people ever knew. now, nobody knows hes female unless they know him well. he is partnered (i think of them as married) with my friend Melissa, out lesbian since she was 14 or so. Melissa went through almost no trouble in school...i guess because guys think lez is sexy, for some reason, and girls feel no competition.

as far as i know, hes never considered surgery. they dont have that kind of money, anyway, and im not sure what Melissa would do LOL

side note: when they decided they wanted a baby, Duke was the one who had the baby (and breast fed).

Duke doesnt consider himself gay, as far as he is concerned he is male.

This is what I don't get - I thought you his his partner is a (female) lesbian. So he is a female who is a male - is he straight? Is his partner lesbian or straight? I have no problem with any of it I just don't follow what's what, who'ds who...and maybe it doesn't matter but I'm trying to understand.

My kids' prom has a number of gay couples - it is obvious in the Grand March, and my kids are very accepting and a-ok with it. They are not gay-bashers the way many of "us" were when we were young. One of my daughter's favorite shopping buddies is a gay young man. She says he's "fresh" (a good thing, apparently) and that he has the "best taste!"

Eve

This is what I don't get - I thought you his his partner is a (female) lesbian. So he is a female who is a male - is he straight? Is his partner lesbian or straight? I have no problem with any of it I just don't follow what's what, who'ds who...and maybe it doesn't matter but I'm trying to understand.

See that's where I always end up getting a headache... LOL! I've given up trying to understand it that 'deep'... I figure as long as they're happy who cares if they're straight or gay or whatever else there is out there....

See that's where I always end up getting a headache...

As do we all (including some of the people who don't "fit" one label or another very well).

Some transgendered people do think of themselves as gay or lesbians because of their choices for partners. But I think for a lot of people, gender dominates their lives (because society doesn't make it easy) to a point where additional labels aren't necessary.

As do we all (including some of the people who don't "fit" one label or another very well).

Some transgendered people do think of themselves as gay or lesbians because of their choices for partners. But I think for a lot of people, gender dominates their lives (because society doesn't make it easy) to a point where additional labels aren't necessary.

OMG Nova, I just wish transgender could be identified and re-aligned when people are babies! I firmly believe it is biological, some kind of a mix-up. What torture people have to endure! But I still don't get a lesbian being with a woman who is REALLY (emotionally, etc.) a male. I just don't get it. Also is the transgendered person gay or straight in that case? Wouldn't he want to be with a straight female? Or if gay, a male? How confusing!:waitasec:

Eve

OMG Nova, I just wish transgender could be identified and re-aligned when people are babies! I firmly believe it is biological, some kind of a mix-up. What torture people have to endure! But I still don't get a lesbian being with a woman who is REALLY (emotionally, etc.) a male. I just don't get it. Also is the transgendered person gay or straight in that case? Wouldn't he want to be with a straight female? Or if gay, a male? How confusing!:waitasec:

Eve

The only simple answer is that sexuality (and perhaps even gender) is really a spectrum, not two, mutually exclusive poles.

Sometimes an MTF (male-to-female reassignment) is oriented sexually toward men, but sometimes not. My partner's ex-sister-in-law's ex-husband (confusing enough?) is getting sex reassignment surgery next month. "She" (the ex-husband) wanted to continue in the marriage to the sister-in-law, but the sister-in-law couldn't picture herself married to a woman. (Fair enough, I think we'll all agree.) They divorced amicably and remain friends.

So "she" (the ex-husband; I'm only using quotes to distinguish between the former husband and my partner's sister-in-law) now lives with another woman.

I suppose you could say that when "she" was a man, she was straight, and now that she's a woman, she is gay. But I'm not sure those labels have any meaning to her.

The bottom line is that humans are more complicated and variable than our language sometimes indicates.

When I lived in Jersey many years ago, I worked with and became friends with a person who was born with both sex organs. The doctor and the family decided that the child whould be a he. The operation was done and the child was transferred into a he.
That was a mistake on the family and doctors part. He grew up knowing that he was in the wrong body.
He was not "gay", even though he had a male partner (he said this to many of us).
He later had surgery to become a woman and he felt that he was never a man or gay to begin with. He took the step to correct what he felt was primal to him, even though a others made an identity choice for him.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie