TX TX - Stacie Madison, 17, & Susan Smalley, 18, Carrollton, 19 March 1988

dellemma

Reaction score
Hello!

I would like to post the information about two beautiful girls who disappeared in 1988. Both Stacie Madison and Susan Smalley attended my high School, Newman Smith HS in Carrollton Texas. I did not have the pleasure of meeting these two girls but think of them often. I was a freshman when they disappeared their Senior year.

Here are their Doe network pages.

Case File 103DFTX

SMadison.jpg
SMadison1.jpg
SMadison2.jpg

Left and Center: Madison, circa 1988; Right: Age-progressed image of Madison to age 34 (circa 2005)

Stacie Elisabeth Madison
Missing since March 20, 1988 from Carrollton, Dallas County, Texas
Classification: Endangered Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: June 17, 1970
Age at Time of Disappearance: 17 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'6; 160 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; blue eyes.
Marks, Scars: Double-pierced ears. Two or three white spots on right side of back of neck.
Clothing: Long-sleeved white sweatshirt with a pink and orange logo on the front, long white cotton pants and white tennis shoes.
Dentals: Available

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
Stacie Elisabeth Madison worked as a receptionist in an allergist's office and planned to take business courses at the University of North Texas.
Madison spent the night of March 19, 1988 at the home of her friend, Susan Smalley. Both of the girls were reported missing the following morning.
The vehicle they were driving was found abandoned in a shopping center parking lot in Dallas, TX with personal items belonging to both girls.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Carrollton Police Department
972-466-3333

All information may be submitted on an anonymous basis.

Agency Number: 286361

NCIC Number: M-503980246
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
National Center For Missing and Exploited Children

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Doe Network:
Case File 102DFTX

SSmalley.jpg
SSmalley1.jpg

Left:Smalley, circa 1988; Right: Age-progressed image of Smalley at age 30 (circa 1999).

Susan Renee Smalley
Missing since March 20, 1988 from Carrollton, Dallas County, Texas.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: September 19, 1969
Age at Time of Disappearance: 18 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'8; 140 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; green eyes. She wears glasses or contacts.
Marks, Scars: Smalley's ears are both pierced multiple times.
Clothing: White sweater and blue pants. She was carrying a navy shoulder bag with camel trim.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Smalley and her friend, Stacie Madison, stayed at Smalley's home overnight on March 19, 1988. Both girls had disappeared by the following morning (March 20). Police know the girls were at Susan's house by midnight. At 12:01 a.m. that Sunday, they called one of Stacie's friends in Arlington, a guy she may have been dating. Police aren't sure why the two went out again.
The first item on their evening's itinerary had been to pick up Susan's mother at the Prestonwood Dillard's, where Audett worked as a clerk. Stacie followed in her '67 Mustang convertible, which bore the colors of their school, Newman Smith High School.
At some point during the evening, they drove to Arlington and found an apartment full of people hanging out. They left, with plans to eat at Chili's, and said they might return, according to the police file. That night, Susan and Stacie also went to the Steak and Ale on Belt Line Road. Stacie waited in her car while Susan went inside to talk to a co-worker. Susan and Stacie left in less than five minutes. A 7-Eleven clerk later told police the two had tried to buy beer from her Saturday night, apparently before they went to the restaurant. That was the last time anyone saw them.
Stacie's green-and-gold Mustang convertible was found that day in a strip-mall parking lot at Forest Lane and Webb Chapel Road in Dallas -- locked, with her portable stereo undisturbed on the back seat. There was no sign of either Smalley or Madison. Susan Smalley was only 18 but possessed the maturity and responsibility of an older woman. She worked two jobs while earning above-average grades.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
214-466-3324

You may submit information on an anonymous basis.

Agency Number: 286380

NCIC Number: M-503980654
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
The Nation's Missing Children Organization and Center For Missing Adults
The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children

Thank you SailorMoon. From speaking to HS friends at the time and even years afterwards, they all said that these two girls would not just up and leave. You are right, it is so sad that people do vanish. Stacie Madison's mother was a substitute teacher at my HS too and I had such pain in my heart every time I saw her. How these families must hurt. If I remember correctly we have a tree planted outside of my HS in honor of Susan and Stacie, but unfortunately this did not make the news back then like it does now.

I'm sorry but I couldn't read the info on this case as it gives me a headache having to go from one side of the screen to the other as it is to long on each side.

I gather the two girls disappeared from somewhere when they were in their teens and have never been found. I can't imagine being in the shoes of their parents after all of this time and not knowing a thing. How do people survive that? It seems that if they were still alive they would have contacted their parents sometime throughout the years. It has to be horrible not knowing anything though.

Hi dellemma-

I actually was wanting to post about Stacie and Susan. I'm a few years behind you (Cof94) and have never forgotten them. Stacie's (I think) younger sister was talking briefly to someone on the myspace NSHS boards about the case.

I want so badly to find out what happened to these two girls in my lifetime. For their parents closure if nothing else.

Hi dellemma-

I actually was wanting to post about Stacie and Susan. I'm a few years behind you (Cof94) and have never forgotten them. Stacie's (I think) younger sister was talking briefly to someone on the myspace NSHS boards about the case.

I want so badly to find out what happened to these two girls in my lifetime. For their parents closure if nothing else.

Well hello to a fellow Trojan! I wonder if her sister would be interested in joining WS and giving her insight?

I want this case to be solved so badly too!

It's possible. Do you have a myspace account? If so, go to the nshs message board where someone posted about "Those of us who didn't make it this far." She responded in there to a few people. I'm a wimp about contacting people. :)

I'm curious now...what year did you graduate? Were you in an extra-curricular activities? I was in Band and Colorguard.

Hi TCMom. I graduated NSHS in 1991.

Ok, I will write up a message to Stacie's sister inviting her to join us here in the hopes that we can generate something!

What a terribly sad case.

Were there ever any 'off the record' theories on what could have happened?

It seems it must have been a double abduction of some kind or at least wound up that way.

You know, none that I ever heard of other than someone took them that night. And that actually surprised me. You would have thought that something would have gone around school. But nothing more than some of of us hoping that they maybe just went on an un-planned spring break trip to Padre Island...but of course as the days passed, that was clearly us with wishful thinking. What I always heard was there was no way these two very responsible girls would leave like that on their own.

Dellemma, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I’m wondering a few things.

Why would the car be left where it was and locked?
I’m assuming this would have been in the early hours of the Sunday morning.
Was there a diner or restaurant nearby?

Did they meet up with someone they knew?

Were they planning to go to a party?
I note they tried to buy beer earlier in the evening.

What might the police know that has never been released to the public?
They usually have knowledge of an evidentiary nature.

It would be interesting to know the theories of detectives that worked the case.

Soon it will be 20 years since these young ladies vanished.
It is extremely unlikely the case will be solved and that is sad.

It is highly likely and very unfortunate that they simply crossed paths with a predator.

You have some great questions Mystery64! I can tell you this...the location the car was found was Forest Lane and Webb Chapel Road and that used to be a pretty big "hang-out" area. Highschoolers used to "cruise Forest Lane" in the 1980's...I don't think that was as popular to do in the later 1980's as it was in the earlier 1980's. I guess what I'm trying to say is I graduated in 1991 and we didn't really hang out of Forest Lane much anymore. Forest Lane was the road the teenagers would drive up and down and stop in parking lots and chat and possibly drink with other friends. Their were lots of businesses and fast food places along that strip.

I know a lot of people here are really good at contact the police and asking for questions or updates on cases. Anyone interested in contacting the police department for this case?

214-466-3324

Thanks; that certainly explains why the car was there. It was a natural gathering place for the teenagers of the day.

Interestingly one website for missing persons has these words about the case

"Foul play is possible in their disappearances. It is believed that they may have been abducted and taken to Mexico."

There must have been a reason for that line of thinking.

Yes, I just don't know what that reason is! I'm going to ask one of the ladies here who seems pretty good at contacting the authorities for more info if she will do that here too.

I know of one person who is a pro at this, and that's christine2448.

She's extremely busy, works, mods and does reserarch on other cases, BUT she may be able to lead you in the right direction.

Just don't tell her I sent ya, or she may lay me out like a pancake :D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah
Back