AZ - New developments in the Cindy Monkman Apelt case

katiecoolady

Reaction score
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2007-04-26/news/sympathy-for-the-devil/1

We're headed back to court again, after 17 years and my father and I are subpeonae'd to testify against my sister's killers in their now claims of "mental retardation". If they pass this gauntlet not only are they up for parole, but they open the door for ALL the sociopaths on Death Row to appeal on the basis of mental retardation.

Please read Sarah's STRONG story on this that just came out and keep my family in your prayers. Thanks.

Reactions: d4j

We're headed back to court again, after 17 years and my father and I are subpeonae'd to testify against my sister's killers in their now claims of "mental retardation". If they pass this gauntlet not only are they up for parole, but they open the door for ALL the sociopaths on Death Row to appeal on the basis of mental retardation.

Please read Sarah's STRONG story on this that just came out and keep my family in your prayers. Thanks.

I'm am stunned, after reading the article.I will keep your family in my prayers.
And I hope this monster does not get away with this..

I can't imagine anyone believing his ploy. It is a defense lawyer's dream vacation but I don't think any jury or marginally seasoned judge would go for this.

Hi Katie. I remember so well your talking about your sister, baring your soal to us seemingly years ago. It almost seems like yesterday though.

I will read her case tonight Katie, and gosh, it is so good to see you again. One thing that immediately comes to mind is that we do have to trust the system. It is a gamble, yes. to have implicit trust, but I think the odds will weigh heavily against him and this ruse.

My first question to answer is Was this retardation ever brought up before, or is it a new strategy on their part!

Scandi

The problem is, the Judge is HIGHLY defense oriented. She's literally given the defense every thing they have asked for and slammed down the AG's office similarly. Today though, the AG's office is taking her BACK to the AZ Supreme Court to try and get her recused from the trial for meeting with the DEFENSE in a secret "exparte" meeting to get our former prosecutor kicked off the case, which she DID today. She broke ethical and I believe legal laws (redundant I know but don't know the right term) in making that ruling and finally the State has a valid argument for recusing her. She has obvious bias and is the ONLY finder of fact in this (no jury) and if she stands in place we are prepared for a ruling in their favor. It's totally inside out.

Thanks for taking the time to read this guys.

Hi Katie. I remember so well your talking about your sister, baring your soal to us seemingly years ago. It almost seems like yesterday though.

I will read her case tonight Katie, and gosh, it is so good to see you again. One thing that immediately comes to mind is that we do have to trust the system. It is a gamble, yes. to have implicit trust, but I think the odds will weigh heavily against him and this ruse.

My first question to answer is Was this retardation ever brought up before, or is it a new strategy on their part!

Scandi

It was never brought up until 2002 when the Supreme Court issued a ruling on the mentally retarded and Death sentences. Suddenly, then and only then did these men "become" retarded.

I will add that as of today, there are THREE "special actions" pending on this Judge and this hearing (which begins in less than a week--this Monday). Two of them at the AZ Supreme Court level. They've already overturned her on three other things at a big hearing last Spring. But she remains, the only finder of fact.

Most recently she ruled that these "mentally retarded" killers do not have to testify (thus be cross examined) in this hearing. She's got everyone shaking their heads here. And she's getting away with it.

This is just shocking. Didn't you have to deal with something else with this guy just last year? This is horrible..I'll be interested in following this development. I am reallly sorry KCL.

This is just shocking. Didn't you have to deal with something else with this guy just last year? This is horrible..I'll be interested in following this development. I am reallly sorry KCL.

Yup. Good memory. We went to the AZ Supreme Court and got this Judge over turned on several ruling regarding this hearing. But there she still is...for now. I just hope she gets recused tomorrow as the hearing starts just this Monday. Or is supposed to. All their experts are flying in from Germany for that date. My father had to cancel his preplanned/prepaid trip to China for this. It's been really really difficult.

Hi Katie, I remember you telling of your sister's horrific murder a long time ago. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers as you have to go through this ridiculous farce. It's infuriating that you should have to go through this and reopen old wounds.

Surely, the courts will see that this monster is quite clever for a supposed "mentally retarded" person. I hope justice prevails for you.

Please keep us posted? ((((hugs))))

Yup. Good memory. We went to the AZ Supreme Court and got this Judge over turned on several ruling regarding this hearing. But there she still is...for now. I just hope she gets recused tomorrow as the hearing starts just this Monday. Or is supposed to. All their experts are flying in from Germany for that date. My father had to cancel his preplanned/prepaid trip to China for this. It's been really really difficult.
It is simply amazing to me that anyone is interested in helping this piece of chit.

Prayers for you all, Katie.

No they are beyond retarded...there arent words to describe these kind of horrible creatures...:mad:

It was never brought up until 2002 when the Supreme Court issued a ruling on the mentally retarded and Death sentences. Suddenly, then and only then did these men "become" retarded.

Just extraordinary. i'm desperately sorry you and your family are having to go through this. i find it all unbelievable this man can scam so large as to be allowed to bring this nonsense to court. :banghead:

I'm so sorry about your sister, I can't even imagine what losing her must have been like for you. I sincerely hope he doesn't manage to prove his "retardation" and can't imagine he would. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back