16 Haitians die when boat capsizes

Shadow205

Reaction score
dozens still missing at sea[/SIZE]
After one of the worst disasters at sea for Haitian migrants, South Florida's Haitian community leaders feared a recent spike in interdictions could signal a deadly summer for others leaving their troubled homeland.

At least 16 Haitian migrants died after their overcrowded, 30-foot sailing freighter capsized early Friday off the Turks and Caicos Islands, a British territory. Another 78 were rescued and as many as 66 could still be lost at sea, according to a Turks and Caicos government statement.
The freighter capsized about 4:30 a.m. in shark-infested waters about a half-mile from Providenciales Island, which is part of the Turks and Caicos. Eleven survivors were found clinging to the hull. Some bodies were pulled from the water missing limbs and feet, apparently bitten off by sharks, according to reports from the island. U.S. Coast Guard officials said the freighter capsized while being towed by a Turks and Caicos police boat, but authorities on the island denied that.

more at the link http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...ay05,0,2156184.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines

[/SIZE]

So very sad. those poor, poor people. :(

SOUTH DOCK, Turks and Caicos Islands -- Authorities searched the turquoise waters surrounding this British territory Saturday for some 40 Haitian migrants missing after their boat sank. The bodies of 36 people have been recovered.

At least three of the bodies fished from the water had been attacked by sharks, and some had limbs chewed off, said police Inspector Hilton Duncan.
Every year, Haitians by the hundreds set off in rickety boats hoping to escape poverty by sneaking into the U.S. In the pre-dawn hours of Friday, one of those voyages turned into a nightmare.
A 25-foot boat carrying an estimated at least 150 people capsized in the dark a half-mile from shore in shark-infested waters. More than 70 people were rescued.

more at the link http://www.miamiherald.com/889/story/97478.html

We (I) might whine and complain about my government, high taxes, corrupt politicians, etc., and then I read stories like this. It is heartbreaking. People dying to get here just to try to make a better life for themselves, and their families.

We (I) might whine and complain about my government, high taxes, corrupt politicians, etc., and then I read stories like this. It is heartbreaking. People dying to get here just to try to make a better life for themselves, and their families.

Isn't it, though, PSUfan? just to try for a better life? i think we'd like to hope we may have the courage to do so should our circumstances be so very desperate. :(

Isn't it, though, PSUfan? just to try for a better life? i think we'd like to hope we may have the courage to do so should our circumstances be so very desperate. :(

Breaking the law and putting your life in danger isn't the way to try and get here.

Breaking the law and putting your life in danger isn't the way to try and get here.
Obviously not, but some people are desperate enough to do just that. These folks paid with their lives. I don't know what their plight was, but me... I would break the law if my children were hungry and I was unable to feed them.

just terrible--time and again these boats are extremely overcrowded,very easy to tip over even in perfect weather--I sure hope those extreme shark injuries were post-mortem,many bodies had limbs missing

"So far this year the U.S. Coast Guard has intercepted 909 Haitians, compared to 769 during all of 2006 and 1,828 in 2005. During turbulent 2004, 3,078 were interdicted."

Thirty six people were confirmed dead in addition to the 40 missing.

http://www.miamiherald.com/889/story/97478.html

I believe they don't see any other way, Jeana. certainly hard to imagine from where i've sat all my life surrounded by western luxury. luxury by the standards of people trying to escape their desperately unfortunate circumstances.

same thing is happening in Africa/Europe--Blacks trying to escape their impovershed countries are crowding themselves on rickety boats to try to make it to Spain--Many have died,and those that did make it,are usually returned to their country of origin by the Spanish Government

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vconners
Back