GUILTY SC - Sheila, 45, & William Dodd, 13, Colleton County, 1 May 2007

I found this with pictures:

http://wtoctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6470684

Sheila Dodd and her 13-year old son William have vanished without a trace.

They were last seen in their hometown of Round O, South Carolina in Colleton County Tuesday, but investigators weren't worried until Sheila's car turned up in Oglethorpe County, Georgia.

Deputies say it's a bizarre situation, and they feel like they've already lost precious time in their hopes to find Sheila and William Dodd alive.

In one of the articles it sounded like the person of interest escaped from somewhere. I really couldn't make heads or tales of the article because it seemed to jump all over the place.

I take it that Shelia and her boy haven't been found yet though. It sounds like the guy that is now in a mental facility is responsible for their disappearance though. I hope we hear something soon about this mom and son. I hope they are alive somewhere.

~snip~

Detectives have issued murder warrants for simmons. Investigators say Simmons was living with his girlfriend and the Dodds when they disappeared.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/news/index.cfm?sid=8157

Missing Mother and Son: Family Talks about Possible Person of Interest

Deputies in South Carolina and in Georgia are trying to find out what happened to a missing family. Family members last saw 45-year-old Sheila Faye Dodd and her 13-year- son William Dodd Tuesday. Authorities later found her car in northern Georgia. Colleton County deputies searched Dodd’s home and the surrounding area in the town of Round-O Friday. Saturday – weather delayed an aerial search of the property. Deputies are also trying to narrow the search area with information gathered from a person of interest in Georgia.

http://www.wcbd.com/midatlantic/cbd/news.apx.-content-articles-CBD-2007-05-05-0010.html

Warrants have been issued against a Rossville man in connection with the disappearance of a mother and son who live in South Carolina, Channel 3 reported.

Police were searching the home of a 26-year-old Rossville man at 60 Pine Hill St.

~snip~

Police allegedly found evidence of foul play after a search of the home near Walterboro, S.C.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_106955.asp

North Georgia man charged with killing a South Carolina mom and son was in a Hamilton County courtroom this morning.

Denver Simmons of Flintstone agreed to go back to South Carolina to face the charges. Police say Simmons told family members he shot Sheila Dodd and her 13-year-old son William and tried to dispose of the bodies.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/news/index.cfm?sid=8186

This is just so sad.

~snip~

Police said Simmons shot Sheila Faye Dodd and her son, William, then tried to dispose of the bodies.

Authorities said Simmons told his mother and sisters about the incident.

He was taken into custody after the FBI notified officials here that he was at Parkridge Valley Hospital.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_106955.asp

I haven't seen anything about finding them yet.

Wow- do we know what his motive was??

I don't think so or at least it hasn't been released. Most of the articles mention that they're trying to figure out just what the relationship was. Several mentioned that Simmons and his girlfriend were living with the Dodds.

~snip~

Ft. Oglethorpe Police Chief Larry Black says, "It appears that Simmons and a girlfriend had relocated to the South Carolina area and were living with Ms. Dodd and her son...apparently some kind of dispute..and he moved out of that residence and at some point returned to the residence and some time of altercation took place."

Police say Simmons stole Shelia Dodd's SUV and traveled to Georgia. It was at Hutcheson Medical Center in Fort Olgethorpe that Simmons left the car and apparently met up with his mom last Thursday.

~snip~

As police impounded Shelia Dodd's SUV, the search continued for Simmons. Not until Monday did police find out that Simmons checked himself into Parkridge Valley Hospital in Chattanooga.

http://wdef.com/node/4902

This is just so sad. Maybe he had taken something from the Dodds when he was living there and they confronted him when he came back to get his stuff.
He must have just gone crazy to murder both of them. I can't begin to imagine the terror that mom and her boy must have felt. I hope he tells where he hid their bodies.

Here this mom and boy were nice enough to let that couple stay with them and look how they were thanked. Darn scary world isn't it :furious:

Colleton County Sheriff’s Office Press Release

~snip~

After reaching the Colleton County Sheriff's Office, the defendant cooperated with Sheriff's Office investigators and admitted to shooting the two victims at their residence on May 1, 2007 on Dodd's Farm Road, Round-O, SC in Colleton County. He also agreed to show investigator's where he disposed of the bodies. What is believed to be the remains of the victims were recovered by the Sheriff's Office and Coroner Richard Harvey during the early morning hours today. The remains were transported to the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston (MUSC) for an autopsy and for positive identification by the Colleton County Coroner's Office.

The remains were in two separate locations of Colleton County, one being in a wooded area off Merrick Road approximately six miles from the Dodd home. The other was in a wooded area just off the Round-O Road near Canaan Baptist Church approximately three miles from the Dodd residence.

more at link
http://www.wcbd.com/midatlantic/cbd/news.apx.-content-articles-CBD-2007-05-10-0015.html

This is what I have gotten from the news media from Charleston, SC, Savannah, GA, and Chattanooga, TN.

Sheila and Denver Simmons had an argument about Denver not contributing to the expenses of the house since he was living there. He left, got a gun from somewhere, and went back to the house where he proceeded to shot Sheila. He then killed William as he was a witness. Somewhere, apparently close, he burned the bodies after which he took them to two different places to drop off. He then stole Sheila's SUV and drove to the GA-TN line where he dropped off the vehicle, spent the night in a motel, and then called his mother to pick him up. Apparently his mother then took him to a psychiatric hospital where he checked himself in. This was after he confessed to his mother and sister what he had done in Round O. The FBI found him at the hospital where they took him into custody. He waived extradition and was brought back to Colleton County by members of the sheriff's office. It was at the sheriff's office that he confessed and led the investigators to the bodies.

The bodies were sent to the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston for autopsies. Apparently the bodies were so badly burned that the only way to identify them is through DNA testing. I do not know if the DNA testing was done at the Medical University or had to be sent to Columbia to the State Law Enforcement Division. As of May 15th, it appears that the results of the DNA testing have not been completed. The Medical University will not release the bodies until the testing is completed.

If you want to know how I know this much, it is because I have searched all the news media for information since Sheila's husband was a cousin of mine.

From September 2010:

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20100909/PC1602/309099910

Simmons, 29, of Flintstone, Ga., was sentenced to two consecutive life terms in prison Wednesday after he pleaded guilty to two counts of murder in the grisly May 2007 slayings of Sheila Faye Dodd and her son, William...

Fourteenth Circuit Solicitor Duffie Stone revealed details about the day the Dodds were slain. Simmons shot 45-year-old Sheila Dodd early in the morning, then used her car and her debit card to go to Pizza Hut, Stone said.

Simmons then picked up Dodd's 13-year-old son from school, brought the boy home and shot him to death, Stone said.

Two state prisoners accused of killing four inmates, facing murder charges

RICHLAND COUNTY, SC
Two state prisoners – who were already serving life sentences for murder – have been charged in the alleged killings of four other inmates on Friday at one of the state’s maximum-security prisons.

Denver Jordan Simmons, 35, and Jacob Theophilus Philip, 25, are facing four counts of murder each, according to a news release by Thom Berry, spokesman for the State Law Enforcement Division. The arrests were announced just after midnight on Saturday.

Simmons and Philip are accused of luring John King, 52; Jason Kelley, 35; Jimmy Ham, 56; and William Scruggs, 44, into a cell on Friday. That’s where Simmons and Philip either strangled, or attacked their fellow prisoners with a broomstick and strangled them, according to the arrest warrants. Ham was also allegedly stabbed with the broken broomstick.

Autopsies performed Saturday morning confirmed all four died of strangulation, Richland County Coroner Gary Watts said. They died between 10 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. Friday.

Philip was arrested in 2013 for the killings of his 26-year-old girlfriend and her 8-year-old daughter in Berkeley County, according to reports by WCIV. He pleaded guilty in 2015 as part of a plea agreement in exchange for life without parole, according to clerk of court records.

In a separate and unrelated incident, Simmons pleaded guilty in exchange for two life sentences for the 2007 killing of 45-year-old Sheila Dodd and her 13-year-old son in Colleton County, according to reports by The Post and Courier during his sentencing hearing in 2010.

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article143497369.html#storylink=cpy

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sugarheart27
Back