Archaeologists discovery King Herod's Tomb!

Cypros

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
This has been one of the great mysteries for those of us studying this time period in the ancient Near East. Herodium has long been believed to be the site of Herod's tomb due to the description of his funeral procession by the historian Josephus. However, ancient texts are often unreliable and decades of excavation on the site (located near Bethlehem and inside Palestinian territory) turned up no sign of a tomb. Unfortunately, it sounds like the tomb was badly desecrated in antiquity and there is little left. No inscription has been found that specifically identifies it as Herod's so some question remains. It is possible that it is the tomb of his mother (of Arab nobility) or one of his queens. Perhaps there's more than one tomb!

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/856784.html

This discovery is especially exciting for me since I have studied the site of Herodium in my research and visited the site a couple of times since it is has features that are similar to my own site in Jordan. The last time I was there (1998) I was wandering the site and Ehud Netzer showed up. He was very gracious to answer my questions and came to visit our dig a few years later. I am very happy for Ehud because I know that he has spent his career excavating and documenting the site (often under very difficult conditions) and he was always sure the tomb would be there. He is nearing retirement so this is a perfect finale.

Here is a better photo of Herodium. The main palace is inside the artificial mountain that Herod had constructed for defensive purposes. At the base of the mountain is a secondary palace complex with a huge swimming pool and garden terrace. The reports say that the tomb is located between the two palaces so I am guessing it is somewhere on the slope.
http://www.friendlyplanet.com/images/herodium-fortress-and-pool.jpg

Is this another one of those James Cameron TV specials? ;)

That's fascinating, Cypros. Congrats to everyone whose research this discovery will aid.

But how does this shed light on the important question of whether Jesus was married? ;)

Is this another one of those James Cameron TV specials? ;)

Nope! This is real science.

Herod is an historical character. He is well-documented in numerous historical records and is responsible for several of the most impressive architectural wonders in modern Israel. The site of his tomb was always known, but the exact location remained elusive -- until now.

That's fascinating, Cypros. Congrats to everyone whose research this discovery will aid.

But how does this shed light on the important question of whether Jesus was married? ;)

Well, I am afraid that that is a question for others. I doubt anybody digging at Herodium is looking for or expecting to find anything related to Jesus. But you know that, Nova.

Wow, Cypros, how exciting! I love ancient history - and it thrills me that folks like you do what you do to prove (or disprove) what has been passed down through time. Early in my college career I seriously considered becoming an archaeologist, but I guess my real passion is birthing babies since that's the route I took - LOL. Seriously, I hope you will keep us updated. This is very exciting!

:slap:
You naughty little chit disturber!!!

Wow, Cypros, how exciting! I love ancient history - and it thrills me that folks like you do what you do to prove (or disprove) what has been passed down through time. Early in my college career I seriously considered becoming an archaeologist, but I guess my real passion is birthing babies since that's the route I took - LOL. Seriously, I hope you will keep us updated. This is very exciting!

I don't know. Birthing babies sounds pretty fulfilling -- and important!! -- to me :)

This is facinating, thanks Cypros! I remember when they showed photo's of the walls found which turned out to be the remains of Herculanium. And getting to see video of them excavating Santorini. Facinating stuff! I love how they are constantly finding these old buildings and cities...often under the ones that stand there now.

I just watched a show on this last night (Roman underground cities)...I would LOVE to be able to visit one of these archeological sites....maybe someday...

P.S. weren't there 2 King Herods? Father and son....I think.

This is facinating, thanks Cypros! I remember when they showed photo's of the walls found which turned out to be the remains of Herculanium. And getting to see video of them excavating Santorini. Facinating stuff! I love how they are constantly finding these old buildings and cities...often under the ones that stand there now.

I just watched a show on this last night (Roman underground cities)...I would LOVE to be able to visit one of these archeological sites....maybe someday...

Hubby and I watched the same show Seeker. Fascinating....amazing the modern buildings are built on top of the old foundations! Hubby and I'd like to see Pompey sometime...plus the well preserved underground city in Rome.

Actually, there were several Herods, but three of them are famous due to historical circumstances and references in the New Testament. The one we are talking about here is Herod I (aka Herod "the Great) who reigned as King of Judea (under the Romans) ca. 44-4 BCE. Herod the Great built the so-called Second Temple of Jerusalem, the harbor at Caesarea Maritima, and the palace fortress on top of Masada. Christians know him as the jealous king who ordered the Massacre of the Innocents. If you check out his genealogy, you will see that several of his sons and grandsons go by the name Herod and so it gets confusing. His grandson, Herod Agrippa II, is the one who was said to have been eaten by worms in Acts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herod_the_Great#Herod.27s_family_trees

Since the Jesus tomb was brought up by a previous poster along with the claim of Jesus having a wife.... check out Herod's genealogy. You will see that Herod had two wives names Mariamne and also a granddaughter by the same name. It was a very common name at the time. You might also recognize another familiar name in the family tree :D

Hubby and I watched the same show Seeker. Fascinating....amazing the modern buildings are built on top of the old foundations! Hubby and I'd like to see Pompey sometime...plus the well preserved underground city in Rome.

Show, we need to start saving our money! I have wanted to see Pompei for myself for many, many years. I feel a weird connection to it for some reason.

I saw another show on Rome/Italy last week and they found part of the old Hippodrome! Oh and the ancient sistern system as well! I love the History and National Geographic channels. I also enjoy the Travel chanel.

Hey there Seeker!

Cities of the Underworld is my new favorite show! I was in Rome 9 years ago, but never saw any of the underground stuff. I wanted to visit the catacombs, but we didn't have enough time. We did visit Pompeii on that same trip, and all I can say is wow! You could spend an entire Italian vacation at Pompeii.

Hey there Seeker!

Cities of the Underworld is my new favorite show! I was in Rome 9 years ago, but never saw any of the underground stuff. I wanted to visit the catacombs, but we didn't have enough time. We did visit Pompeii on that same trip, and all I can say is wow! You could spend an entire Italian vacation at Pompeii.

Are you serious? OMG! I am so jealous!! Please, please go to CV and post some pix....you did take pix didn't you?

You know we have underground cities right here in the states too? Seattle and SF and I think Portland? Totally facinating to me...and much, much easier to get to! :D

Show, we need to start saving our money! I have wanted to see Pompei for myself for many, many years. I feel a weird connection to it for some reason.

I saw another show on Rome/Italy last week and they found part of the old Hippodrome! Oh and the ancient sistern system as well! I love the History and National Geographic channels. I also enjoy the Travel chanel.
--same here Seeker,those channels and the 5 Discovery channels are our favorites--we also like history international channel which shows the Naked Archeologist,an entertaining show about a Canadian guy in the Middle East

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back