CA - Erica Guerra, 5, killed in hit & run, Wasco, 3 May 2007

daphnec

Inactive
Reaction score
Car briefly carried girl on hood but kept going

Friday, May 4 2007

Kern County sheriff's Sgt. Matt Lee wishes he could freeze the video and pluck the child crossing the street out of harm's way.

He's watched the footage of 5-year-old Erica Paulina Guerra getting struck by the car numerous times, and it's taken a toll on him. He said he and emergency responders are pretty shook up by the hit-and-run that killed Guerra at a Wasco intersection Thursday evening.

"She's just a 5-year-old girl," Lee said, wiping away tears after a news conference Friday morning. "I keep thinking about everything in life she's going to miss out on."

WARNING: GRAPHIC VIDEO. Surveillance footage of a young girl hit while crossing the road. The police need your help finding the owner of this car.
http://www.bakersfield.com/multimed...e.prod_affiliate.25.flv#gotoplayer#gotoplayer

http://www.bakersfield.com/619/story/134801.html

dear god how could some1 hit this baby and then just drive off? what is wrong with some people???

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: They didnt stop! How could they not stop?!!

Oh that poor little girl. I feel so bad for her mom because she probably blames herself. In reality she probably didn't know that the little girl had stopped. Just a horrible thing to have had happened.

If I hit a child or even an adult I think I would go into shock and just hit the break and then sit there unable to move. I don't know if I could live with that.
I hope that the person who hit that little girl turns him/her self in. Maybe they panicked and took off but they can still turn themself in.

I wonder if the mom and kids were at a crosswalk or a light?

OMG That is horrible. I hope they find the person who did that. An accident is an accident, and from what I can tell, it's not like the driver would go to jail. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the mother was not paying attention to the girl, and the girl ran into oncoming traffic. Would it be the driver's fault, would they be facing life in prison? (In no way do I want this to come across as blaming the mother, just trying to put it in legal perspective) An accident is one thing, a hit & run is another.
There is a very good chance that little girl would still be alive if the driver had stopped. Instead the drove with her on the hood for 100 feet until she fell off under the car. How can you live with yourself??

I wonder if the mom and kids were at a crosswalk or a light?

If you look at the street, I don't see an intersection there or lines that would indicate it's somewhere cars would stop. It looks like they were jaywalking. Also, it looks like mom was running too, before the little girl did.

If you look at the street, I don't see an intersection there or lines that would indicate it's somewhere cars would stop.

I remember when one of my twin boys thought he was too old to have his hand held while crossing the parking lot. He was about 7yrs old at the time. He jerked his hand out of my wife's and my wife pulled his soul out from him as she chewed him out on safety. Now he's 16 and I tell him to hold his 7 year old brother's hand while they go to play with kids across the street.

I would never attempt to cross the street without my kids right beside me.

OMG That is horrible. I hope they find the person who did that. An accident is an accident, and from what I can tell, it's not like the driver would go to jail. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the mother was not paying attention to the girl, and the girl ran into oncoming traffic. Would it be the driver's fault, would they be facing life in prison? (In no way do I want this to come across as blaming the mother, just trying to put it in legal perspective) An accident is one thing, a hit & run is another.
There is a very good chance that little girl would still be alive if the driver had stopped. Instead the drove with her on the hood for 100 feet until she fell off under the car. How can you live with yourself??

If that driver had stopped, chances are they would not have been cited because that little girl ran out in front of him/her. But, to not stop... I hope they find this creep and try him/her on all counts that they possibly can.

I remember when one of my twin boys thought he was too old to have his hand held while crossing the parking lot. He was about 7yrs old at the time. He jerked his hand out of my wife's and my wife pulled his soul out from him as she chewed him out on safety. Now he's 16 and I tell him to hold his 7 year old brother's hand while they go to play with kids across the street.

I would never attempt to cross the street without my kids right beside me.

Me neither - especially with a 5-year-old. And it doesn't look like that was a valid place to cross.

However, my heart aches for this family and I hope that the person who struck this child (by accident, I am sure) turns themselves in.

In the video, the officer speaking said something about vehicular manslaughter, i believe. The car seemed to be going pretty fast. I was guessing that the person behind the wheel was probably preoccupied doing something else besides driving (cell phone, radio, air conditioning, etc...) and which is probably why the car seems to be going so much faster than the one before it. They probably freaked out about hitting her and just kept going. If only they had stopped, they would not have probably run over her. :banghead: There is a lady in the town i live in who hit a boy who was riding his bike and he went right in front of her. He lived, but the woman has not been the same since. I hope that they turn themselves in so they can give the family what they need.

OMG that poor baby girl and her family. In no way do I blame the mother. Yes, there are always "should have's, could have's and would have's" but I can not sit here and blame her at all. I can not even begin to imagine how she is feeling.
I hope the SOB that hit this little angel is found.

IMO this person did not stop because they are either wanted by the law or drunk or on drugs.

IMO this person did not stop because they are either wanted by the law or drunk or on drugs.

That was exactly what I was going to post. If this person was DUI, he/she probably freaked out and kept going. I'm hoping this person is haunted w/ guilt and does come forward.

Looks like a Ford Taurus to me.

01.ford.taurus.350.jpg

It definitely does look like a Ford Taurus.

Would you expect there to be damage on the car? A front grill, windhsield damage?

It definitely does look like a Ford Taurus.

Would you expect there to be damage on the car? A front grill, windhsield damage?

Maybe. If they could somehow determine the car's speed and the girl's weight, they could probably determine the damage that likely happened to the car.

Yep, exactly..there had to be a really serioius reason this person didn't stop, which scares ya more...who is this running around the streets??? An escapee? A wanted child molester? Or just a druggie? Will this person be found? Was the car stolen?

You can see the car drift off the the right after he/she/they strike the child. The poor mother is running after the car, I just cannot even imagine. I hate to, but I have to lay some blame on the mother for not HOLDING her childrens hands while crossing the street, however, I am sure it was unintentional and she will pay emotionally for that mistake for the rest of her life, my heart physically aches for her right now.

If the hit and run driver would have stopped at the scene, everyone would be blaming the mom for this accident, JMO.

I don't understand how anyone could hit a child and keep going, no matter what the circumstances. I hope they are found. God bless the poor litttle angel that was hit, her family is in my prayers.

Maybe. If they could somehow determine the car's speed and the girl's weight, they could probably determine the damage that likely happened to the car.

So they could put out a message to be on the lookout for a silver - possible Ford Taurus - with front end and windshield damage. Check local body shops for anyone who had work done that night or recent time after with a similar description.

It doesn't even look like MOM even waited before crossing the street. I am a Mom and God knows I have had plenty of "OMG!!!!" moments when it comes to my kids, I aint perfect...but dammit...was she in that big of a hurry that she couldn't look back to make sure that baby was directly behind her?Almost looks like she is holding one of the other kids hands.I will not cross a street without my kids being directly beside me, and I will still make them hold my hand while crossing and they are 10 and 13...so that THIS very thing does not happen...yeah yeah yeah I know Mom is feeling "horrible" now, bless her heart I will definetly pray for her....but certain things can be prevented...OBTW to those that do not agree with me here, sorry to offend you..but this is JMO...like I said I have had plenty of :doh: moments raising kids, matter fact just yesterday my 10 year old son was riding his bike down a hill behind the house, I was inside cooking..he came in screaming, he had lost control of his bike and flipped over the handlebar..the handlebar pressed really hard into his sternum,left a perfect round cut there, I freaked completely out..drove like a maniac to the doctor, no internal injuries, thank God it isn't even bothering him today.He says he is going to tell his friends that he was abducted by aliens and that's where they inserted their device..

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708
Back