What Can I Do?

White Rain

Reaction score
Everyday, it seems, there are stories about raped/kidnapped/missing kids, and it gets to my heart SO much.
I very much want to do SOMETHING to help, in any way, but I don't know what...
Does anyone have ANY idea how I can help ANY of the aboved listed? I would do anything, anything, just to keep one child safe from the horrors of the world...please let me know how to help...thank you...

There are so many things you can do.The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) website (www.missingkids.com) has a page set up for anyone who wants to get involved.
Just some suggestions: Sign up to have Amber Alerts sent to your cell phone (https://www.wirelessamberalerts.org/index.jsp). Everytime one is sent to my phone, I get the word out to those around me. Not long ago there was a baby boy (Saige Terrell) kidnapped from Kentucky. He was found unharmed, in Godfrey IL, about 5 miles from where I live. I mention this because it shows that there is always a chance that a kidnapped child could be taken far from where they are kidnapped from. Even if you hear about a child kidnapped in a different city, state, or even country, spread the word. It may help locate them. Have a MySpace? When you hear about a missing child, post a bulletin. Send e-mails. Put up flyers. Nothing you could do to help a child is too insignificant. The only thing you can do that "isn't enough" is to do nothing. Want to do something bigger? You can organize a fundraiser and donate all proceeds to an organization that helps locate missing children, provides assistance to families of missing/abused children, provides help to the victims of kidnapping/abuse, etc. You could organize a family fun day of sorts. Set up games, raffles, face painting, and distribute Child ID kits. Speak with the staff at local PreK and elementary schools. They might already host a similar event where you can set up your own booth and distribute the Child ID kits. When I was in elementary school my school hosted a yearly event where some of the parents would set up booths (games, raffles, face painting, etc.). Tickets could be purchased and used at any of the booths. You could set up a website designed to educate parents, or a website designed to educate children and provide a safe place online where they can play games. You could even do what I'm doing. Make a career out of it. I'm getting my degree in criminal justice, and plan to work in investigations to help with cases of missing and unidentified persons. Want to go another step further? Set up a non-profit that provides assistance to familes, friends, victims, even the people searching for a missing child or loved one. Set up donation sites where people can donate paper, ink, film, cameras (any kind), computers, printers, etc. Then find organizations in need of those supplies. Take what you do best and find a way that it can help.

Anyone else with ideas, please feel free to add. I think I might set up a website with everyone's ideas...

-sign up to have posters of missing children in your area emailed to you. you can do this at the NCMEC website. then when you get emailed a poster, you can print it and post it around.

-see if your county has a CASA (http://www.nationalcasa.org/) program and become an advocate

All of those things above sounds great, but you could also look into becoming a registered foster carer.

All of those things above sounds great, but you could also look into becoming a registered foster carer.

I have two kids, and my fiancee has two as well, so I think four are about all I can handle!
Thanks to all of you, though. I will be going to those websites and checking into helping out.

Wow!

Then you are already keeping four beautiful children safe. And if they grow up to have the compassion that you do, that will also make the world a better and safer place for children.

Wow!

Then you are already keeping four beautiful children safe. And if they grow up to have the compassion that you do, that will also make the world a better and safer place for children.

4 girls, ages 13, 10, and two 8 year olds, and they are all great, sweet, caring kids!
Sometimes I think I have TOO much compassion...like for instance my oldest daughter is now 10, but I STILL think back to when she was 2 and her dad and I divorced and I had to put her in daycare for the first time. Of course the first day I dropped her off she cried and had to be pried away from me. When I think about that day even now I start bawling and wallow in guilt. She no doubt cannot remember that day, but I still can't get over it.:(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back