GUILTY Canada - Rugby player Manny Castillo, 15, dies, opponent charged, 9 May 2007

ljwf22

Reality continues to ruin my life.
Reaction score
A 15-year-old Mississauga, Ontario boy who was critically injured in a rugby match on Wednesday has died.

Manny Castillo, a player with Lorne Park Secondary School, was pronounced dead in hospital this morning.
<<snip>>

A 16-year-old competitor with the Erindale Raiders has been charged with aggravated assault in connection with the incident in which Manny was hurt.

Link: http://www.thestar.com/

I have to respect this boy's family for not wanting to press charges against the other teen. My thoughts and prayers to this family and the community who mourn Manny.

I wonder what the police know or think they know that they are being so adamant about pressing charges?

I feel so bad for his family, teammates and friends. What a sad ending to a promising young life.

I wonder what the police know or think they know that they are being so adamant about pressing charges?

I feel so bad for his family, teammates and friends. What a sad ending to a promising young life.

This is a contact sport, and sadly stuff like this happens. Rarely, but it does happen. I think the police will have an uphill battle trying to prove criminal intent, especially since Manny was grappling with the other boy, too, and not just the other way around. It's just so sad when something like this happens.

Comfort and blessing to Manny's family, and to all involved.

From July 2009:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ared-jail-time-in-rugby-death/article1199800/

Until two years ago, his biggest concerns were his social life and his shot at the National Hockey League. But for a young man who cannot be named under the terms of the Youth Criminal Justice Act, that life was swept away when he killed an opposing player in a high school rugby game and found himself at the centre of a criminal drama that drew national attention.

In May, he was convicted of manslaughter, for which he could have been sent to prison for decades. But yesterday, a judge handed down a sentence that let him walk out of the courthouse and return to the life he knew.

Ontario Judge Bruce Duncan said the youth killed his opponent during a "heated argument," and with "no premeditation." Judge Duncan sentenced him to a year's probation, 100 hours of community service, and anger management sessions with a psychiatrist.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back