Japan - Toddler Abandoned in Baby Drop Box

sleuthin4fun

Reaction score
TOKYO — An Japanese drop box for unwanted babies triggered a wave of nationwide soul searching Wednesday, a day after it was discovered a preschooler — and not an infant — had been dumped there by his father on its first day of operation.
Nationally circulated newspapers warned that the anonymous drop-off, known as "Stork's Cradle," is open for abuse and could traumatize youngsters. They also condemned the father, saying his action could spur copycats.
The drop-off was opened last Thursday by the Catholic-run Jikei Hospital in the southern city of Kumamoto to discourage abortions and the abandonment of children in unsafe public places. The same day, a boy believed to be 3 was found inside.
The boy, who was in good health, reportedly said he was dropped off by his father, who was seen holding the youngster's hand as they approached the hospital. They apparently rode Japan's bullet train to Kumamoto, but it was unclear where they lived.

Okay, but as we all know from reading here, he could have done a lot worse things to this kid. I'm glad the child is safe. Let's not be too mean to the guy!!!

Isn't that the point of these boxes? I know they are supposed to be for newborns, but honestly, putting them out and then berating the guy for doing this is kind of counter-productive. What message does that send to the person who is thinking about it?

As for copycats, if it spurs more parents to drop off their kids instead of beating them with hot frying pans, starving them, kicking them, feeding them chemicals to get a lawsuit from a soup manufacturer, or pretending that a carjacker took them when they are really in the bottom of a lake...I'm okay with that!

angel is right. it will be very hard for a 3yr old to deal with this but much harder to deal with growing up in a family that does not want him.

Okay, but as we all know from reading here, he could have done a lot worse things to this kid. I'm glad the child is safe. Let's not be too mean to the guy!!!

Isn't that the point of these boxes? I know they are supposed to be for newborns, but honestly, putting them out and then berating the guy for doing this is kind of counter-productive. What message does that send to the person who is thinking about it?

As for copycats, if it spurs more parents to drop off their kids instead of beating them with hot frying pans, starving them, kicking them, feeding them chemicals to get a lawsuit from a soup manufacturer, or pretending that a carjacker took them when they are really in the bottom of a lake...I'm okay with that!

Excellent post. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Very true Angelmom!!

My heart breaks for this little boy though... May God help him find a loving family to raise him!!

I think the idea that only newborns are unwanted should be expanded and that parents that have had enough of child rearing should be able to drop off their kids.

I would much rather see that than some of the violence these children have to endure. It is sad, but I bet you would see a lot of kids being dropped off if parents were to not be penalized for it. Some "parents" don't want to go through all the hoops, counseling, stigma, etc. involved when one wants to turn over a child that is not a newborn.

I think the idea that only newborns are unwanted should be expanded and that parents that have had enough of child rearing should be able to drop off their kids.

I would much rather see that than some of the violence these children have to endure. It is sad, but I bet you would see a lot of kids being dropped off if parents were to not be penalized for it. Some "parents" don't want to go through all the hoops, counseling, stigma, etc. involved when one wants to turn over a child that is not a newborn.
there is a huge danger if we make it legal to drop of a child of any age with out some sort of legal record. for example.... my 7 year old is gone, just gone. how will police investigate? did i drop her off at 1 of the "drop boxes" or did i sell her to a sicko? the point of these boxes are that police will not investigate you because you have committed no crime. making it easier maybe but just "dropping" them off with no questions can cause problems.

I didn't mean no questions asked for the older children. There does have to be something in place to document the older children, but the way it is now - parents have to jump through hoops to reliquish rights to their children and in the mean time many children and being neglected, hurt and killed.

I don't know what a good solution would be, but with all the crimes we see against children by their own parents, I wonder how many would be better off if their parents could hand them over with out all of the hoops.

Angel - I agree - I mean, maybe this is something we need to think about. Honestly, if there are parents out there who just cannot cope with parenthood - should we have a way for them to safely hand over their kids?
Of course, my mom may have signed me over when I was 15:doh:

I didn't mean no questions asked for the older children. There does have to be something in place to document the older children, but the way it is now - parents have to jump through hoops to reliquish rights to their children and in the mean time many children and being neglected, hurt and killed.

I don't know what a good solution would be, but with all the crimes we see against children by their own parents, I wonder how many would be better off if their parents could hand them over with out all of the hoops.

I tend to think their should be hoops ... giving away your child should not be an easy thing to do.
I also don't really think that the majority of people who abuse their children would even use that option as abuse is more about control and a sick lack of self control. I tend to think that people who give their children away do so more out of a desperation because they cannot take care for them not because they are abusers.

i think you have a good idea. a way for people to give up kids they dont want with out so much paper work that they just dump them or kill them. too bad we see people who fight for their kids and then kill them so often.

I agree. It is better to drop him at a safe place than abuse, kill, or neglect him. Maybe this little one will have a chance at a good life.

I can't help it, the idea of drop boxes for unwanted babies just doesn't sit right with me. Dumping a child should be a bit more difficult than returning a late video rental.

How many parents will now be threatening to take their children to the drop box if they don't behave? It's just wrong.

I'm not saying it should be easy, or that they shouldn't look for the parents, or that he shouldn't be charged. I just think it's a little hypocritical to put the boxes out there, to wail and gnash our teeth about insufficient awareness of Safe Haven laws every time a newborn is murdered, and then unload on this guy.

Kind of like the pro-lifers who want to shun the pregnant teenager. Um, hello! She made the choice we wanted! We should be thanking her for her bravery after a mistake! Do you think making her miserable and cutting her off from her entire support network will make the next pregnant teenager want to consider an adoption?

Pick a lane!

I'm not saying it should be easy, or that they shouldn't look for the parents, or that he shouldn't be charged. I just think it's a little hypocritical to put the boxes out there, to wail and gnash our teeth about insufficient awareness of Safe Haven laws every time a newborn is murdered, and then unload on this guy.

Kind of like the pro-lifers who want to shun the pregnant teenager. Um, hello! She made the choice we wanted! We should be thanking her for her bravery after a mistake! Do you think making her miserable and cutting her off from her entire support network will make the next pregnant teenager want to consider an adoption?

Pick a lane!

I totally agree!

:noway:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/05/16/baby.drop.ap/index.html

TOKYO, Japan (AP) -- A Japanese drop box for unwanted babies triggered a wave of nationwide soul searching Wednesday, a day after it was discovered a preschooler -- and not an infant -- had been dumped there by his father on its first day of operation.
Nationally circulated newspapers warned that the anonymous drop-off, known as "Stork's Cradle," is open for abuse and could traumatize youngsters. They also condemned the father, saying his action could spur copycats.

EDITED BY MODERATOR DUE TO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT

I would much rather the father drop him off someplace he would be found than someplace else - park, store, ect. At least this person was making an effort to do this in the right way, even if there isn't a "right" way to do it. Maybe this person had a good reason for needing to do this and hoped that the child could have a better life. Remember, in this country (I believe) male offspring are very much valued and loved. I have a feeling that there was a good reason the "daddy" felt like he needed to give up the boy in a safe place.

:clap: Excellent post, ITA. It can't be both ways, although I worry about this child's mental and emotional well being from being separated from his family. I hope and pray that this little boy will find a loving home and that he'll be okay - physically, mentally and emotionally.

I would rather the father gave the child up than keep him--once he felt for whatever reason he couldn't be a father to him.

Many children were once left in orphanages by parents who for whatever reasons, felt they could not raise the children properly. Those children survived and sometimes thrived.

Unlike too many children today!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74
Back