AL - 9-Year-Old Charged With Poisoning Stepmom, Siblings

Sable

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/13338053/detail.html

IRVINGTON, Ala. -- A nine-year-old boy was placed in juvenile detention after he was charged with four counts of third-degree assault for poisoning his 30-year-old stepmother and his three siblings in separate incidents.

More at link..

"Investigators described the youngster as a "troubled child" in need of professional counseling."

I hope this child get's the help he needs. Thankfully his family is expected to recover.

I saw this on our local news last night, and I was like :eek: . I would really like to know more, maybe they will do a follow up.

What would possess a 9 year old to do that? Where would he even get the idea to do it? I hope that he gets help before it is to late.

After all the horrible "stepmom" crimes we've been reading, I can't help but wonder if he had "reasons" for trying to kill his stepmom. Of course, I mean "reasons" in his 9 yr old mind.

The article didn't say if the siblings were half/step or bio.

(Not making excuses for him-just wondering!)

After all the horrible "stepmom" crimes we've been reading, I can't help but wonder if he had "reasons" for trying to kill his stepmom. Of course, I mean "reasons" in his 9 yr old mind.

The article didn't say if the siblings were half/step or bio.

(Not making excuses for him-just wondering!)

I have the same thoughts Taximom...

I hope there will be more information on this in the future.

Rosco

IMO its pretty freaking easy to trick a 11-13 YO ...
We do this daily as parents as we bribe and coerce our way through childhood.
SO...... lets please all unofficially poll here ... who thinks a 9 YO could do this??
and Q #2 who thinks that if an actual 9 YO did this.. then who thinks the parents are totally responsible??

ps: Investogators!!!! WHo gave the "info" that made this child "troubled"
The step mom ???

I think it's quite possible the child is a poisoner. Many criminals start out young. ETA: And it is later found out they did "experiments" as a child. The poisoner secretly gave various things to people or pets to see what would happen, the knife murderer did "dissections" on wildlife or neighborhood pets etc. and the sadist is "cruel to animals" or younger children.

Child: "Hmmm, what will some of this stuff do to a person/cat/dog?" "Let's see!" *slips some in their sister's drink and watches*

It isn't the parent's fault I think, unless you really want to blame them for genetics? Some people are just born with no impulse control, and no empathy. :twocents:

IMO its pretty freaking easy to trick a 11-13 YO ...
We do this daily as parents as we bribe and coerce our way through childhood.
SO...... lets please all unofficially poll here ... who thinks a 9 YO could do this??
and Q #2 who thinks that if an actual 9 YO did this.. then who thinks the parents are totally responsible??

ps: Investogators!!!! WHo gave the "info" that made this child "troubled"
The step mom ???

Well, given that you posted in another topic that you put dish soap into an abuser's food nightly, I'd like to ask you: "Who gave the "info" that made *you* so troubled? Do you really blame your mother, for the crimes (yes CRIMES) you just admitted to committing? *eyebrow*

Well, given that you posted in another topic that you put dish soap into an abuser's food nightly, I'd like to ask you: "Who gave the "info" that made *you* so troubled? Do you really blame your mother, for the crimes (yes CRIMES) you just admitted to committing? *eyebrow*

KatK,

On the same thread that you have just referenced, you said to Amraann "I will not debate the topic with you again, anywhere here: This means do not attempt to bring the topic up to me."

If you meant that, why bring it up here on a separate thread?

Sometimes it's a good idea to keep the boundaries you erect.

KatK,

On the same thread that you have just referenced, you said to Amraann "I will not debate the topic with you again, anywhere here: This means do not attempt to bring the topic up to me."

If you meant that, why bring it up here on a separate thread?

Sometimes it's a good idea to keep the boundaries you erect.

Reread my full words. I am keeping my boundaries, barely, but I am doing so. Such things need to be challenged, IMO.

Reread my full words. I am keeping my boundaries, barely, but I am doing so. Such things need to be challenged, IMO.

KatK,

I read every word to include when you said "Amraann.....I hope you never experience it for yourself, because you are quite ill-prepared to weather it.
twocents.gif
" and

"I think going to counseling to let go of your anger and resentment towards your mother, and to make peace with the hurt child you have inside you would do you a lot of good Amraann."

and "You obviously do not comprehend what being an ADULT survivor of abuse is like. "

I found those posts to be offensive and dismissive and they seemed to offer unsolicited personal advice to someone you don't know.

I appreciate your viewpoints on the subject of abuse. I have abuse survivor experience of my own and so I am always interested in hearing the perspectives of others.

But it is hard for me to hear what you are trying to say when you take it personal towards another poster. There are ways to disagree without being disagreeable.

Just my :twocents: .

SCM

Consider that a person calling a mother who is in an abuse relationship "selfish" and brushing off the pain they may still be healing from would also be very offensive. ETA: I have agreed to disagree with her on that particular topic. That does not mean I have agreed to disagree with her that putting substances in a person's food is wrong, and to come in and "tutt tutt" at the parents of a child who has done such things, when the tutter has themselves done such things blows my irony meter to bits.

Consider that a person calling a mother who is in an abuse relationship "selfish" and brushing off the pain they may still be healing from would also be very offensive. ......

Already considered and my opinion remains the same.

We talk about people and cases on this board all the time. Many times other posters say things that we find offensive, insane, stupid or just downright wrong.

There are ways of putting our points and opinions forward without disrespecting the posters with whom we disagree. I have high hopes that you will discover some of those ways.

Garnering respect from anyone begins with giving it.

Let us say, that my experience on how to say things politely has been colored vividly by a different message board I belong to. There is an entire forum there, where flaming (within reason, no death threats, no personal info posted and the like) is permitted. The rest of the board, is dedicated to fighting ignorance. Here is one example from that board, this is another, and yet another by the previous author. (You might be able to guess my identity there, but please do not post it here, it is my "net safety" ID.*) The person who inspired the board, is known not only for their wit, but also their cutting snarky humor. I am a product of those boards, and actually I have toned things down here *A LOT* compared to what I would say in the BBQ Pit there. I am working to remain "halfway" while posting here, but I do have limits, and "hotbuttons", just like anybody else.

*Also, read all the rules, FAQs, posting and etiquette guides before joining and know that after 30 days your guest membership expires and you either must pay to remain a member or lose your membership, there are members who sponser others, some new guests have either asked or been gifted with memberships, I've been sponsered myself. Repeat guests are found out and perma-banned. I get along there pretty well, with the exception of the subset of the boards known as "snarkers" who are worse even than the topics I linked to, by FAR.

Let us say, that my experience on how to say things politely has been colored vividly by a different message board I belong to. There is an entire forum there, where flaming (within reason, no death threats, no personal info posted and the like) is permitted. The rest of the board, is dedicated to fighting ignorance.

Still totally off-topic here, but that board seems to have some angry members. Or immature. Not sure which, but don't want to bother finding out more.

Still totally off-topic here, but that board seems to have some angry members. Or immature. Not sure which, but don't want to bother finding out more.

Angry only at times, (ETA: Often with good justification.) some are immature, most are not. (You did read at the bottom of the "drunken b*" topic, to see that his anger was quite justified, in that she had actually tried to hire someone to kill him, didn't you?) There are members worldwide, and they come from all walks of life. (ETA2: And many religions and political leanings as well, one ran for political office in Canada a while back too.)

SDMB stats said:
Threads: 330,890, Posts: 7,133,076, Members: 66,211

You'd probably like the General Questions or Great Debates forums better, there you *must* be exceedingly polite, and be able to back up your assertations with a cite, not to mention Cafe Society, IMHO or MPSIMS where you aren't expected to be as formal, but must still remain polite. There are writers there, I believe Weird Al Yankovic has admitted to being a member there in an interveiw, people who are consultants for Myth Busters, video game crafters, movie makers, housewives, musicians, Doctors, Veteranarians, Lawyers and Machinists all are members there. There are geeks galore there of all stripes, and people just seeking knowledge. You can usually ask a question there, and even if it is obscure, someone there will know at least a little bit, or can point you in the right direction to finding your answer. Just being sure the positive is thrown out there with the negative.

Wow- just wow, KatK!

I have to tell y'all- my Biological father was a woman abuser and had he not killed himself before I was old enough to do something about it, I'd have attempted to do much worse to him than Amraann did to the man who harmed her sister!

Perhaps it was the ABUSERS that made her,..and me..and millions of others who lived in abusive homes as children because our mothers didn't leave their abusive spouses, "troubled" !?!

In answer to Amraan's poll, whose posts have helped me in the past, and is a great defender of children in her posts here on Websleuths:

I'm not sure or not if a 9 year could do this. I've heard so many stories of psychopaths claiming that they fantasize about killing pretty early in life, but I do hope that they talk to the child and try to find out if something else could be going on or have happened. It's so sad for such a young child to be arrested and going through these problems. Thank goodness the other kids recovered, and the step mom.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back