Bullying Teen Gets Public Punishment

White Rain

Reaction score
Hooray for this mom! I wish there were more out there like her!

TEMECULA, Calif. - A seventh-grade girl got suspended from school for a week for bullying another student. Then Mom got involved, and things got worse for Miasha Williams.
During the suspension week, the 12-year-old's mother, Ivory Spann, made her daughter stand outside various schools with a poster reading: "I engaged in bullying behavior. I got suspended from school and this street corner. Don't be like me. Stop bullying."
"I don't want that kind of environment at the school my child attends, or the school any child attends," Spann said. (more @ link)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18729564/

Hooray for this mom! I wish there were more out there like her!

TEMECULA, Calif. - A seventh-grade girl got suspended from school for a week for bullying another student. Then Mom got involved, and things got worse for Miasha Williams.
During the suspension week, the 12-year-old's mother, Ivory Spann, made her daughter stand outside various schools with a poster reading: "I engaged in bullying behavior. I got suspended from school and this street corner. Don't be like me. Stop bullying."
"I don't want that kind of environment at the school my child attends, or the school any child attends," Spann said. (more @ link)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18729564/

If there were more of her we would have less school shootings :) I cant imagine the teasing she will get from this ;)
Good Job Mom!

oh that is AWESOME! I would absolutely love to see this happen more often.

They showed this on our local news. I thought, 'Good for you, mom!'

They filmed a couple of the times she was having to hold the sign up as school was going in or out for the day. She had to appear at a number of schools. I hope with this punishment, the message registered in some of these other students minds.

When the reporter spoke to the daughter, of course she was asked if she would bully again. "No," was her answer. I think she meant it.

My hat is off to this Mom, she takes being a mom seriously.:clap:

JMHO
fran

Am I naive to think that kids who bully really have low self-esteem? Wouldn't this act make the child's self-esteem even worse? I hope that this girl gets some counseling to figure out why she bullies and ways to deal with her unacceptable behavior.

ETA: Another thought is this girl bullies because she has been bullied. Her mother's behavior could just be another sign of a harsh mother who continues to humiliate her daughter.

**I do not condone bullying. I'm just trying to look at the situation from a different angle.

Am I naive to think that kids who bully really have low self-esteem? Wouldn't this act make the child's self-esteem even worse? I hope that this girl gets some counseling to figure out why she bullies and ways to deal with her unacceptable behavior.

ETA: Another thought is this girl bullies because she has been bullied. Her mother's behavior could just be another sign of a harsh mother who continues to humiliate her daughter.

**I do not condone bullying. I'm just trying to look at the situation from a different angle.

Nah, no need to overanalyze this one.

I wouldn't put too much thought into this one. Some girls are just plan mean spirited!!!!! Good for this mom now maybe her daughter won't grow up to be a nasty adult.

I'm getting married in September, so I'm brushing up on my husband-speak. :blushing:
Well, best of you to you; and congratulations to the groom-to-be! I hope that you are very happy for the rest of your lives!! :)

P.S. You are doing very well on your husband-speak. I should know because I hear similar phrases quite a bit. ;)

I'm getting married in September, so I'm brushing up on my husband-speak. :blushing:
allow me to help. i will be married 14yrs in Nov. these things have helped my husband a great deal.

1. yes dear.
2. i'm sorry.
3. it's my fault.
4. i love you.

grats and good luck.:D

allow me to help. i will be married 14yrs in Nov. these things have helped my husband a great deal.

1. yes dear.
2. i'm sorry.
3. it's my fault.
4. i love you.

grats and good luck.:D
Hmmm... :waitasec:

Mine are more along the lines of, "Doesn't it get boring always being wrong?" or "Don't start; I don't feel like getting into that again." or as he is focused on a sports program, "Could you repeat what you said again?" or "You are so lucky that I saved you from the life you were leading." or "You are so lucky to be married to me." :)

Bear in mind, most things are said in jest; and I say the same things to him, too. Isn't it wonderful to be married?? ;)

Hmmm... :waitasec:

Mine are more along the lines of, "Doesn't it get boring always being wrong?" or "Don't start; I don't feel like getting into that again." or as he is focused on a sports program, "Could you repeat what you said again?" or "You are so lucky that I saved you from the life you were leading." or "You are so lucky to be married to me." :)

Bear in mind, most things are said in jest; and I say the same things to him, too. Isn't it wonderful to be married?? ;)
depends when u ask..... kidding. you will love it Paladin.

I think I'm more excited about being a good parent, or aiming to be. The fiance is worried I'll be more of a friend to our kids than a parent and that she'll have to be "the mean one."

I think I'm more excited about being a good parent, or aiming to be. The fiance is worried I'll be more of a friend to our kids than a parent and that she'll have to be "the mean one."

Heartfelt congratulations, Paladin!

You'll do fine with the kids, I'm sure. EVERYone has to negotiate between discipline and support. (And for what it's worth, you can tell your fiancee that kids complain about "the mean one" but end up appreciating him or her in the long one.)

Oh, so sorry. From this post, I assume that you are the groom-to-be. I thought that you were the bride-to-be. :blushing:

As the parent of a thirteen year old boy who has come home crying this week because of bullies, I applaud the mother. Kids are so mean, if you tell the school it gets worse, if you stay quite nothing changes. Never ever would I want to be thirteen again. Now my son is mad at me for telling the school he came home with bruises, go figure.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back