Uh-oh I've threatened to do this to my kids...

Jodibug

Reaction score
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/R/ROADSIDE_CHILD?SITE=MOCOD&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

LIVINGSTON, La. (AP) -- The mother and aunt of a legally blind 10-year-old boy were booked on cruelty charges after briefly leaving him on the side of a highway because he was misbehaving, a sheriff's spokesman said

Investigators found the boy had actually been dropped off as punishment. The van traveled a short distance down the highway before the mother got out and retrieved him, Ard said. It was unclear exactly how long the child was out of the car but Ard said Friday it was probably only a few minutes.

I've threatened to put my kids out of the car many times. No, I've never actually done it, but I have thought about it many times.

I guess it's a good thing that I never did. Of course, my kids aren't legally blind, and I can see how that would pose an additional danger to the child.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/R/ROADSIDE_CHILD?SITE=MOCOD&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

LIVINGSTON, La. (AP) -- The mother and aunt of a legally blind 10-year-old boy were booked on cruelty charges after briefly leaving him on the side of a highway because he was misbehaving, a sheriff's spokesman said

Investigators found the boy had actually been dropped off as punishment. The van traveled a short distance down the highway before the mother got out and retrieved him, Ard said. It was unclear exactly how long the child was out of the car but Ard said Friday it was probably only a few minutes.

I've threatened to put my kids out of the car many times. No, I've never actually done it, but I have thought about it many times.

I guess it's a good thing that I never did. Of course, my kids aren't legally blind, and I can see how that would pose an additional danger to the child.

The only reason I've yet to threaten my kids like this is because I hate to threaten them with things I know I'm not willing to follow through on. I'm inconsistent enough as it already is! :D

My parents threatened to do this a few times to me and my sister, but I never believed them and they never follow through!

Suffice it to say, this is NOT proper discipline...ever.

When I was younger my sisters and I argued on our trips from Oregon to Idaho or Oregon to California. So my step-mother began bringing garbage bags with us on our trips. When we began arguing, my dad pulled over, she handed us each a garbage bag and we had to clean up the side of the road for half a mile. My parents never left us. But I'll tell you once was all it took. We never argued again in the car!

When I was younger my sisters and I argued on our trips from Oregon to Idaho or Oregon to California. So my step-mother began bringing garbage bags with us on our trips. When we began arguing, my dad pulled over, she handed us each a garbage bag and we had to clean up the side of the road for half a mile. My parents never left us. But I'll tell you once was all it took. We never argued again in the car!

Your step-mother is a brilliant woman! I am going to pass that idea on to my friends with kids who are just at the right age for this lesson.

My sister and I argued all of the time in the car (and the house, and playing outside, etc). My mother often threatened to drop us off, but never did it -- except once. I was about 11 and my sister 13 and our mom left us in the car while grocery shopping (normal in those days). As usual, my mom stayed in the store for what seemed like hours and my sister and I were at each other's throat by the time mom arrived at the car. We were arguing and poking at each other as we drove out of the parking lot and so my mom made the threat that whoever made another peep would have to walk home. The thought of getting out of the car and walking (about 2 miles) sounded great to me at that point and so I gave my sister a punch in the arm. LOL! Car halts. I jump out. Car drives off. I walked home but took the longest route I could come up with -- up and down and back and forth -- I was in no hurry to get home. This was also a very safe suburban area and we kids regularly walked to the store, park, etc. on our own. When I finally did head for home I found my sister at the corner. Mom was worried and sent her out to watch for me. In the end, I think my mom suffered more than I did. Unfortunately, she did not learn her lesson. She continued to leave us in the car during her marathon shopping sprees. LOL!

bit of overreaction, looks like to me.
I 12 probably wasnt a good place to do this, but it was only a few minutes and they were arrested for picking him up?

years ago, my auntie was arrested and charged with child abuse because her 11 year old accused her of beating him. actually he had got in a fight after school at the bus dropoff, but he was mad at her for other things, so when he went to school and they asked what happened to his face, he blamed it on her. it took 6 months to get it cleared up. and the relationship between her and her son never recovered. (she passed away 3 years ago and he still doesnt know, he never asked, so his sister never told him. he and i havent spoken in years, i dont even know how to contact him. hes in california somewhere)

louisiana gets carried away sometimes, and fails to do anything when it needs to be done, sometimes.

I also think it was an overreaction. While I would never leave my kids on an Interstate, I've thought about it on rural highways! I haven't actually done it, but I don't think it would permanently scar my kids if I did (for a few minutes).

It's not like the mom and aunt weren't coming back for him. They didn't go far and he wasn't out there long. Also, if mom was driving then the aunt probably wasn't a decision maker, so why arrest them both?

Better to overreact than to not act at all though.

i know i was in 3rd grade so i guess i was about 10 when my dad did this. i said something hateful to my brother so he pulled over and spanked me. when i kept crying he said shut up or he would give me a reason to cry. i did not stop so at 9:30 on a country road with no lights he pulled over and put me out. i could not see the road so i walked with 1 foot on the road and one foot off. i know i walked a long time. now idea how long. mom said it was a little over a mile. i saw the dome light of the car ahead and ran to it. still crying. he made me stand outside til i stopped then let me in and drove home. to this day i am still scared of the dark. when i first read this it hit me in the gut. after taking sometime to think it over i cant see it as abuse in this case except the child was blind.

Back in the fall here we had a horrible incident. A mom and daughter were fighting and the mom pulled over and let the daughter out of the car. As she was walking she was hit by a car and killed. It was horrible.

Come to think of it, I am sure that Bianca Noel Piper's mother wishes she hadn't put her daughter out of the car to walk home.

I find this highly offensive. My brother was legally blind and I can't imagine ever putting him out on the side of the highway.

Legally blind + highway = accident waiting to happen. :doh: Thank God he's ok.

Does anyone remember the Desperate Housewives episode where Lynette kicks the 3 boys out of the van for a few minutes, only to find a few minutes later that some neighbor lady has taken them in and given them milk and cookies etc? (Sorry, off-topic, but this reminded me of that show.)

With the child being blind this is child abuse. Im not considered legally blind but I have a hard time with computer screens (increase the font) even reading in certain light is almost impossible, some websites are too much trouble so I skip them or articles and they are right in front of me. I need my sunglasses on bright days and have an almost impossible time seeing in the dark, I cant imagine how hard it might be if mine was that bad and hopefully it wont progress that much.

With kidnappings happening so easily when the parent is very cautious this is playing with fire with your child's life.

I've pulled over and got out of the car myself and stood there outside the vehicle until the kids quit misbehaving. I'd be terrified to put a kid out of the car and then drive away, even within viewing distance.

I can understand a parent being mad, upset or aggravated with their children while on a car trip. But I never, ever thought about leaving my kids on the side of the road,( or on the side of a highway.)
I agree with Autumn, this child is blind and what was done to him was child abuse.

I've threatened it but never acted on it, and although my kids are not blind reading this made me feel HORRIBLE!
Never again.

When my kids were growing up and started acting up or arguing in the car, I'd pull over to the side of the road (where safe), turn off the car and just sit there. When my kids finally noticed and asked "what are we doing, mom?" I'd tell them that I'm not going any where as long as they misbehaving. After a few times of this (sometimes several times in one trip to a grocery store! LOL!) they finally caught on... I wasn't going anywhere, as long as they acted up. Aaahhh... peaceful car rides!

Now, my ex... he got pissed at my oldest son when my son was 8 and left the kid at Toys-R-Us and the kid walked home... 8 MILES!!!! Talk about pissed... I contacted my attorney the next work day and she contacted his attorney and told him that if this ever happens again, we'll make sure shared custody is yanked.

If you could have seen my son... 8 years old, red-faced, sweaty... I should have called the cops on the ex and pressed charges... but my son was upset enough and he was my first and only concern. It never happened again, with any of my 3 children, so I'm hoping the ex did learn a lesson.

I am one who has let her kids out on the side of the road for misbehaving!

Toward the end of a 12-hour journey in which all 3 kids (12, 11, 8) were at each others throats incessantly, I told them that the next time it happened I would make them walk. They did and I told them to get out and start walking. Of course, it was a fairly deserted roadway and I inched along behind them along the side of the road for about 1/4 mile. It was enough and they were on their best behavior for the rest of the trip!

When the 11-year old was 16, he decided to get belligerent with me while we were driving on a main road in our small town. I kept telling him he needed to watch his mouth and be quiet but he just kept arguing. Finally, I just pulled over. Immediately he said, "I'm sorry, Mama. I'm sorry, Mama!" Afterward we were talking about it and he said, "I just KNEW you were going to put me out and make me walk and all my friends would drive by and see me walking with you trailing behind!" Lessons learned!!!!!

Of course, I may not have done this if my kids were legally blind! That's a little extreme and dangerous!

When my kids were growing up and started acting up or arguing in the car, I'd pull over to the side of the road (where safe), turn off the car and just sit there. When my kids finally noticed and asked "what are we doing, mom?" I'd tell them that I'm not going any where as long as they misbehaving. After a few times of this (sometimes several times in one trip to a grocery store! LOL!) they finally caught on... I wasn't going anywhere, as long as they acted up. Aaahhh... peaceful car rides!

Now, my ex... he got pissed at my oldest son when my son was 8 and left the kid at Toys-R-Us and the kid walked home... 8 MILES!!!! Talk about pissed... I contacted my attorney the next work day and she contacted his attorney and told him that if this ever happens again, we'll make sure shared custody is yanked.

If you could have seen my son... 8 years old, red-faced, sweaty... I should have called the cops on the ex and pressed charges... but my son was upset enough and he was my first and only concern. It never happened again, with any of my 3 children, so I'm hoping the ex did learn a lesson.

That's f'ed up, MagicRoses. Good for you for getting your attorney involved.

This is brilliant. I plan to add it to my bag of tricks.

I have done it with just about all of the foster kids I've had at least once. I found though just pulling over and making them get out was enough, I never drove off and it was never on a highway

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back