GUILTY FL - Yana Huss, 31, brutally murdered, Port Charlotte, 25 April 2007

RiverRat

Patsy Ramsey to the Left
Reaction score
http://www.sun-herald.com/CHNewsstory.cfm?pubdate=042707&story=tp1ch5.htm&folder=NewsArchive2

04/27/07
Murdered wife tried to report abuse

Husband arrested on run in Tallahassee

Deputies went to Scott Lee Huss' house 20 times for domestic calls and disturbances and even arrested him, but the charges never stuck.

On Wednesday, his wife, Yana Shalina Huss, 31, was found dead at the Port Charlotte home, according to the Charlotte County Sheriff's Office.

Scott, 48, of Port Charlotte, was arrested on suspicion of murder in Tallahassee Wednesday night, a report said.

Tallahassee police caught Scott at a bus station where he had just bought a ticket. Police had located his rental car at a Best Western hotel earlier. He's being held at the Leon County jail.

Article published Apr 29, 2007

At his grandmother's door, a boy offers an account of a chilling crime.

PORT CHARLOTTE -- It was the barking of her dogs that alerted Joyce Huss to the presence of someone at her Longwood home Wednesday morning.

When Huss opened the door, she could barely believe her eyes: Her 9-year-old grandson was standing on her porch in a bloody shirt, holding onto a small suitcase that had in it a computer and a nine-page letter written by Huss' son, Scott Huss, who had driven away.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070429/NEWS/704290338/1060/NEWS0110

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070522/NEWS/705220523/1264/NEWS0103

Article published May 22, 2007

By HEATHER ALLEN

CHARLOTTE COUNTY -- Tears stream down her face. When the pain seems too great, Elena Kuchinskaya thinks of her grandchildren and pushes on.

For nearly a month, she has tried to wend her way through the legal system with little knowledge of the English language and even less of the state and local agencies involved in her fight for custody of her two grandchildren.

"Every day is hard," said Kuchinskaya, 49. "What I feel? What can I say? I cry every single day."

It has been that way since she learned of her daughter's slaying -- two long days after Yana Huss was found dead, her throat slashed as her 8-year-old son watched. Her husband, Scott Huss, has been charged with the crime. His arraignment is set for June 18.

Peter, and his 2-year-old sister, Katrina, are in foster care.

Kuchinskaya, a Russian citizen who lives in Holland, knew about her daughter's troubled marriage. They talked so often that the mother knew what Yana and her children ate for dinner. She knew Yana, a nursing student, had two final exams weighing heavily on her mind in the last week of her life.

Monday, she went to yet another court hearing in the murder case, yet another delay.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070522/NEWS/705220523/1264/NEWS0103

Postive feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
RR

Attachments

• yana.jpg
    yana.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,107
Where are the other two younger children?! :sick: ETA, nm, I see now.

Having participated coming in the middle of a domestic dispute between a woman and her estranged husband, I have to say... if there is a hint of violence, there's no way to tell how far that violence will go. Seek help and distance yourself immediately from the perpetrator. They will only continue to do more violence against you. Even verbal threats need to be taken seriously.

Let me tell you a story. I dated this woman where she had filed for divorce from her husband. Before going through the divorce, he proceeded to smash out all her windows of her car and beat her a few times. This happened within a week's time. She was going to buy a gun and I talked her out of it. One night, she was really worried that he was going to come by again so I went over thier with a louisville slugger. Lo and Behold, the guy came into the house (he had a key) and came charging at me with a flashlight. I barely was able to duck as he hit the back wall with it. I pinned him against the wall (I'm a big guy and he was like 5'7"). I had her take my keys to drive away. I made the mistake of releasing him and he went after her and started beating her. I almost tossed him out the window, but threw him down to the ground. As we got away, she kept crying "he's never been like that in all the years I've known him".

So once again, before things escalate, leave.

Having participated coming in the middle of a domestic dispute between a woman and her estranged husband, I have to say... if there is a hint of violence, there's no way to tell how far that violence will go. Seek help and distance yourself immediately from the perpetrator. They will only continue to do more violence against you. Even verbal threats need to be taken seriously.

Let me tell you a story. I dated this woman where she had filed for divorce from her husband. Before going through the divorce, he proceeded to smash out all her windows of her car and beat her a few times. This happened within a week's time. She was going to buy a gun and I talked her out of it. One night, she was really worried that he was going to come by again so I went over thier with a louisville slugger. Lo and Behold, the guy came into the house (he had a key) and came charging at me with a flashlight. I barely was able to duck as he hit the back wall with it. I pinned him against the wall (I'm a big guy and he was like 5'7"). I had her take my keys to drive away. I made the mistake of releasing him and he went after her and started beating her. I almost tossed him out the window, but threw him down to the ground. As we got away, she kept crying "he's never been like that in all the years I've known him".

So once again, before things escalate, leave.

great post gman

So things haven't changed since the 70's except now it's out in the open. Back when I was growing up they wouldn't even come to the house because it was domestic. Now they come out but their hands are tied. Same thing happens....nothing.

"It's a shame. You don't know whether it could have been prevented. The victim does have some responsibility to seek help ... She could have gone to CARE (Center for Abuse and Rape Emergencies) and gotten help."

That quote hurts. Sounds like blaming the victim, esp when in another story it says she was sleeping in a shelter and in a day care because she was afraid. There was some mention of CARE knowing about her and the situation so I'm gathering she may have contacted them.

Why were the charges dropped so many times? What is the victim to do if the laws don't support the victim? Live on the run?

The poor little boy, having to live with what he's seen. That's terrible.

Where are the other two younger children?! :sick: ETA, nm, I see now.

Actually, I am confused about the kids. Where are they. I see the mention of Peter and Katrina, but what about the older child?

One story told to me is that the baby girl (2) was pretty much listless after her mother's murder UNTIL the arrival of Elena....hearing the Grandmother's accent, that was very similar to her mother's voice, stimulated her.

http://www.sun-herald.com/Newsstory.cfm?pubdate=052407&story=tp1ch6.htm&folder=NewsArchive2

The murder of 31-year-old Russian immigrant Yana Huss at her Port Charlotte home in April ripped a mother away from her two young children.

And it may ultimately separate the two children from each other.

That's because the youngest of the children, Katrina Huss, 2, was born in the United States, and her American grandmother, Joyce Huss of Longwood, Fla., believes the toddler should remain here with her.

But the children's Russian grandmother, who now lives in Holland with her family, is also seeking custody of both Katrina and her 8-year-old brother, Peter.

The child of a previous marriage, Peter was born in St. Petersburg, Russia.

Ultimately, a local judge will decide where to place the children, and whether to place an ocean between them.

Joyce Huss is the mother of Yana's husband, Scott Huss, 48, who has been charged with second-degree murder in his wife's death.

Attachments

• huss.jpg
    huss.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 916
So things haven't changed since the 70's except now it's out in the open. Back when I was growing up they wouldn't even come to the house because it was domestic. Now they come out but their hands are tied. Same thing happens....nothing.

"It's a shame. You don't know whether it could have been prevented. The victim does have some responsibility to seek help ... She could have gone to CARE (Center for Abuse and Rape Emergencies) and gotten help."

That quote hurts. Sounds like blaming the victim, esp when in another story it says she was sleeping in a shelter and in a day care because she was afraid. There was some mention of CARE knowing about her and the situation so I'm gathering she may have contacted them.

Why were the charges dropped so many times? What is the victim to do if the laws don't support the victim? Live on the run?

The poor little boy, having to live with what he's seen. That's terrible.

Knowing that our Sheriff gave that quote hurts.....BTW - The Care Center's location is known to all.....even Perp's looking for their victim.

Actually, I am confused about the kids. Where are they. I see the mention of Peter and Katrina, but what about the older child?

I believe the older child is still with his paternal grandparents, or am I mis-remembering and they are all in foster care? ETA: There are only two children, not three? Peter (the child who saw his mother's death) and his 2 year old sister are in foster care, according to this article.

I believe the older child is still with his paternal grandparents, or am I mis-remembering and they are all in foster care? ETA: There are only two children, not three? Peter (the child who saw his mother's death) and his 2 year old sister are in foster care, according to this article.

OK, thanks. I thought from the first article that there were 3 kids. Looks like there are only two. What a sad story.

Thanks for helping me out ;)

There is a third child, however, I think that it was from Scott's prior marriage.

Got it. Thank you. I get confused with these blended families and I come from one!!

http://www.sun-herald.com/Newsstory.cfm?pubdate=053007&story=tp1ch6.htm&folder=NewsArchive2

Elena Kuchinskaya is suffering twice over the murder of her 31-year-old daughter.

As a mother, she's grieving the loss of a daughter, whom she considered "an angel."

As a grandmother to her daughter's two young children, Kuchinskaya is also grieving for them.

And that has made her efforts to get custody of the children awarded to members of her family in Russia all the more trying, she said in an interview Tuesday.

Kuchinskaya's daughter, Yana Huss, 31, was found stabbed to death in her Port Charlotte home April 25. Her husband, Scott Huss, 48, has been charged with second-degree murder in her death. He remains incarcerated pending trial.

State child protection officials have given Kuchinskaya little information about how long the custody decision might take.

Meanwhile, the state DCF has temporarily placed Yana's two children, Peter, 8, and Katrina, 2, with a foster family in Fort Myers. Kuchinskaya is allowed to visit for two hours once a week.

Kuchinskaya fears the longer it takes, the longer it will take the children to heal. That's especially true for Peter, who witnessed his mother's murder, she said.

"You cannot wait long time; not good for Peter," she warned. "That's an extraordinary situation and special actions need to be taken."

Now, Kuchinskaya is seeking the public's help. She announced she has established the Yana Huss Memorial Fund to raise money to hire an attorney and, eventually, help support the children.

People can contribute to the fund at any Wachovia Bank.

Originally from Russia, Kuchinskaya now lives in Holland with her husband. However, she has rented a house in Port Charlotte in order to stay near the children.

Kuchinskaya said the expense of air travel, burial and rent has been difficult to afford.

She was asked if there's a local Russian community that could help her.

"There is a community -- but I have no community," she said. "I am not from here."

Peter was born in Russia to Yana and a previous husband, who was also murdered when Peter was a baby.

Yana was in her third year in college and dropped out after her first husband died, Kuchinskaya said.

Kuchinskaya helped her daughter raise the boy for the next six years, she said.

Attachments

• lena.jpg
    lena.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 799
http://www.sun-herald.com/Newsstory.cfm?pubdate=053007&story=tp1ch6.htm&folder=NewsArchive2

Peter was born in Russia to Yana and a previous husband, who was also murdered when Peter was a baby.
How tragic - this little boy's father AND mother were both murdered!! I wonder who killed the father in Russia, was he caught and punished? Hmmmm.

http://www.winknews.com/news/local/...l?video=YHI&t=a

Charlotte County judge dismissed charges Scott Huss violated a restraining order against his late wife Yana Huss.
OhMyGosh, how ridiculous!!! If there was a restraining order against him and he went and killed her, then he definitely violated the order - how hard is that to figure out?!?! :banghead:

Prayers for the children and family members who are suffering the loss of Yana.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back