Bubonic Plague at Denver Zoo, 23 animals have been infected with it

This is a problem there. Not sure if it is an "out West" thing or Denver or CO or what...

My cousin lives in Denver and in 2004 (I think) her SIL was pregnant and their family was exposed to the plague while watching a neighbor's cat. The cat died, and the vet found out it was the plague. We were all :eek: :confused: The SIL had to be quarantined separately from the rest of the family b/c she couldn't have the same shots as her DH and 2 kids. It was weird. Luckily the baby and everyone else turned out to be fine - they were even on the news with some other people who got sick, and I think one guy died. :(

My cousin was worried. The exterminator who took care of her house told her it was not uncommon, and that she needed to be careful b/c her 2 terriers could eat a rodent and get it and give it to the family. She kept them on leashes (no running in the fenced yard or at the dog park) all summer and was very careful about the trash and outside of the house.

I guess they'll have to start being on the watch again.

This is a problem there. Not sure if it is an "out West" thing or Denver or CO or what...

My cousin lives in Denver and in 2004 (I think) her SIL was pregnant and their family was exposed to the plague while watching a neighbor's cat. The cat died, and the vet found out it was the plague. We were all :eek: :confused: The SIL had to be quarantined separately from the rest of the family b/c she couldn't have the same shots as her DH and 2 kids. It was weird. Luckily the baby and everyone else turned out to be fine - they were even on the news with some other people who got sick, and I think one guy died. :(

My cousin was worried. The exterminator who took care of her house told her it was not uncommon, and that she needed to be careful b/c her 2 terriers could eat a rodent and get it and give it to the family. She kept them on leashes (no running in the fenced yard or at the dog park) all summer and was very careful about the trash and outside of the house.

I guess they'll have to start being on the watch again.

How sad Im sorry that happened to your sil and her family :( How scary!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taketherisk
Back