About Craig Stebic's And Also His 1995 Arrest On Weapon Charges.

CW

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/newssun/news/396743,5_1_WA23_STEBIC_S1.article
____________________craigs.jpg
Stebic's husband convicted of weapons charge in '95

May 23, 2007
By ART PETERSON Apeterson@scn1.com
The News-Sun has learned that the husband of the Libertyville High School graduate missing since May 1 from her Plainfield home was convicted of a weapons-related charge in 1995.

Craig R. Stebic, husband of Lisa Ruttenberg Stebic, a 1987 graduate of Libertyville High and mother of two, was a Waukegan resident when he was arrested in Lincolnshire.

» Click to enlarge image

Craig R. Stebic

RELATED STORIES
• Judge denies custody request

Finding Lisa
Anyone with information on Lisa Stebic's location is asked to call the Plainfield Police Department at (815) 267-7217 or Will County Crime Stoppers at (800) 323-6734.
In 1995, Craig was living at 332 Fourth St., on Waukegan's Near North Side. Then 29, he was arrested by Lincolnshire police on Jan. 3 after driving his Toyota pickup truck on Riverwoods Road, past Daniel Wright Middle and Laura B. Sprague schools.

Police said the truck was stopped after officers noticed the windshield was shattered. Found in the bed of the truck were four weapons -- including two assault rifles. The guns were in plain view, according to police, and the truck did not have a cap over the bed.

The weapons included a Chinese-made AK-47 semiautomatic assault rifle, a Ruger Mini-14 assault rifle, a Universal 10-gauge double-barrel shotgun, and a Desert Eagle .44 Magnum semiautomatic handgun.

Stebic told police he had just returned from hunting in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Police said Stebic was cooperative.

Among several weapons-related charges the most serious was a felony offense of possessing firearms within 1,000 feet of a school. He also was charged with operating an unsafe motor vehicle and driving with a revoked driver's license.

At the time, Stebic was wanted on a Lake County warrant for failing to appear in court on a charge of driving with a revoked license.

On April 7, 1995, he entered a negotiated guilty plea in Lake County Circuit Court to a reduced charge of illegal possession of firearms without having a state Firearm Owner's Identification card. He was sentenced to court supervision and fined $200. On April 1, 1996, his sentence was terminated early.

Court records indicate the Stebics' Plainfield home has higher mortgages on it than the value of the home. They had purchased the home for $208,411 in 2000, and it now has $313,000 in mortgages on it. Homeowners can liquidate the equity in their homes in exchange for cash.

Lisa reportedly was moving foward with a petition to evict Craig from the home.

She was earning less than $10,000 a year as a lunchroom worker, while he was earning $80,000 annually as a pipefitter. Reportedly, he had been laid off recently.

This is really bad...I suspected they couldn't afford a divorce but no equity in their house and actually owing more than the face value is shocking. I looked up the value on Zillow, and it was only $275 or so.

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/local_story_152205923.html

I brought this over from the 'media only thread.' You've got to watch this video. Gave me chills as I listened to this officer's description of his encounter with Stebic and his father.

Seriously, WATCH AND LISTEN to this interview and you'll get the idea on what may have happened to Lisa.

After you've watched this, let's discuss the probable 'poaching,' the fact Stebic was in the back of the truck with a rifle when stopped. It was before dawn when they were stopped. The officer drew his weapon because Stebic made his hair stand-on-end, PLUS Stebic had a gun in his hand. Oh.......and the mind shafts the officer thinks they may have dropped the deer they MAY HAVE poached (as evidenced by blood in the truck).

JMHO
fran

Quotes from the Interview.....

"they were pretty difiant"

"He (Craig) wanted to do something... but" then stammers a bit.... "uh um... uh.. I drew my gun before he got out of the back of the pickup"

"you could see he was trying to figure out what to do....but uh the look on his face told me....it wasn't good"

Lodged in the "slammer" for DAYS?

This is really bad...I suspected they couldn't afford a divorce but no equity in their house and actually owing more than the face value is shocking. I looked up the value on Zillow, and it was only $275 or so.

I've been wondering (and maybe closeobserver can
tell us), if the Stebics put in a pool with some of that refinance money they pulled out of the house?

I don't even know how much that would cost or add to the home's sale value, but just thinking it might be a possibility.

IMHO, this police officer's recollection of this encounter so many years later makes him most credible. IMO, the officer thought Craig was trying to decide if he should use the gun to get away, or take his medicine. After all, they had no body, (deer), so there was no case except for possession of the weapons.

In the parts of states where they take their 'hunting season' seriously, they DO NOT like poachers. Especially if they're not even going to eat the meat but do it just for sport. Which, IMHO, it appears may have been the case here.

hmmmmm.............I hope it was deer they were after in the dead of darkness and not a 'two legged prey.'

Yikes!! Scary thought!:eek:

JMHO
fran

<<I don't even know how much that would cost or add to the home's sale value>>

It might increase the resale value, but is considered a negative around here in terms of selling because it limits the population of people willing to buy it. We do not have a long enough pool season here, and upkeep is either timeconsuming or expensive.

They would have had an uphill battle selling that home because it is a large, expensive home (for Plainfield, not for the general area), and there is so much new construction they would be competing for buyers with home builders.

IMHO, this police officer's recollection of this encounter so many years later makes him most credible. IMO, the officer thought Craig was trying to decide if he should use the gun to get away, or take his medicine. After all, they had no body, (deer), so there was no case except for possession of the weapons.

In the parts of states where they take their 'hunting season' seriously, they DO NOT like poachers. Especially if they're not even going to eat the meat but do it just for sport. Which, IMHO, it appears may have been the case here.

hmmmmm.............I hope it was deer they were after in the dead of darkness and not a 'two legged prey.'

Yikes!! Scary thought!:eek:

JMHO
fran

Fran it was clearly stated (published) in the news story that after their investigation that any alleged "poaching" was believed to be for meat. I do not see anywhere that CS was charged with poaching - ever. I do wonder exactly what he and his father were charged with in connection to this event in the wee hours. I do see he has been charged with 2 undersized bass and using someone elses tag though.

If, in this wee hours event, they did have tags, they might have been charged with hunting before shooting light or road hunting. I know IL hunting regs but am not EXACTLY sure about Michigans.

Why any of this would equate hunting 2 legged prey? I don't understand that connection.

There's basically 3 types of people atempting to take deer.

1. Hunters. 90/95% + by the book.

2. Yahoos. Sometimes lots of drinking and the more game taken the better.

3. Poachers. More sophisticated, cunning, have game plans, sometimes act in rings.

In my 30+ years of experience, I've seen my share of all 3 types. I've never seen any after 2-legged prey.

There has been PLENTY of supposed fine, upstanding citizens and POLITICIANS charged with breaking game laws. So IMO I don't see any relation between these hunting events and anything else.

I don't see any connection.

No offense to women but IMO - just some ol boys out away from the girls yahooin".

Fran it was clearly stated (published) in the news story that after their investigation that any alleged "poaching" was believed to be for meat. I do not see anywhere that CS was charged with poaching - ever. I do wonder exactly what he and his father were charged with in connection to this event in the wee hours. I do see he has been charged with 2 undersized bass and using someone elses tag though.

If, in this wee hours event, they did have tags, they might have been charged with hunting before shooting light or road hunting. I know IL hunting regs but am not EXACTLY sure about Michigans.

Why any of this would equate hunting 2 legged prey? I don't understand that connection.

There's basically 3 types of people atempting to take deer.

1. Hunters. 90/95&#37; + by the book.

2. Yahoos. Sometimes lots of drinking and the more game taken the better.

3. Poachers. More sophisticated, cunning, have game plans, sometimes act in rings.

In my 30+ years of experience, I've seen my share of all 3 types. I've never seen any after 2-legged prey.

There has been PLENTY of supposed fine, upstanding citizens and POLITICIANS charged with breaking game laws. So IMO I don't see any relation between these hunting events and anything else.

I don't see any connection.

No offense to women but IMO - just some ol boys out away from the girls yahooin".
Everyone knows they weren't charged with poaching because nothing could be found at the time.

It doesn't mean they weren't poaching. It only means they weren't caught.

Your stats mean nothing to me. I was raised in a ripe hunting culture and I know about poaching. If I were a betting woman...which I am...I would bet my right arm they were poaching that night. People don't normally go out with a person with a gun in the back of a truck and a spotlight unless they are. Give me one instance where it could apply.

It wasn't a far stretch from two-legged killings with the abuse they were dealing their women. The men I know for a fact who poached were also the most severe of abusers.

I see a connection when you have a man that can abuse his wife and can abuse the law on a regular basis as far as killing any animal goes. They have no respect. They have no boundaries. They have no limits.

Everyone knows they weren't charged with poaching because nothing could be found at the time.

It doesn't mean they weren't poaching. It only means they weren't caught.

Your stats mean nothing to me. I was raised in a ripe hunting culture and I know about poaching. If I were a betting woman...which I am...I would bet my right arm they were poaching that night. People don't normally go out with a person with a gun in the back of a truck and a spotlight unless they are. Give me one instance where it could apply.

It wasn't a far stretch from two-legged killings with the abuse they were dealing their women. The men I know for a fact who poached were also the most severe of abusers.

I see a connection when you have a man that can abuse his wife and can abuse the law on a regular basis as far as killing any animal goes. They have no respect. They have no boundaries. They have no limits.

Well Put

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back