Contestants Vie for Kidney on Dutch Reality TV

Paradise

Reaction score
For most patients around the world in need of a kidney, life is an interminable waiting game for an elusive matching donor.

The Netherlands is no different. According to Bert Elbertse, publicity director for the leading Dutch health organization, NIGZ, waiting lists for a kidney stretch to a grueling four and a half years, on average.

But for one Dutch citizen, the wait just got shorter.

This Friday three patients will compete to receive a kidney from a terminally ill young woman, 37-year-old "Lisa."

Dutch TV channel BNN and the producers of the controversial U.K.-based reality show "Big Brother" have come together to produce "Big Donor Show."

The program, which will be broadcast live on BNN this Friday, will show the three "contestants" (each of whom is a match for Lisa's organs) vying for one of her kidneys. <snip>

http://tinyurl.com/2zdw5s

What will they think of next?

When ABCNEWS.com contacted Laurens Drillich, BNN chairman, he acknowledged that "the program is tasteless." But, he added, "the reality of having to wait years for organs is much more tasteless, in my opinion."

I'm really on the fence about this one.

Don't have time to read the link right now, but I hope the article also states that most people in the NL are against this show, with even a member of parliament trying to block it, the Dutch donor organisation does not agree (even though they're happy with some publicity about the need for donors ;)) and BNN is a small TV station known for their weird antics. :slap:

I think it's tasteless, but-- I also think it will work in terms of raising awareness.

Organ donation is such an easy thing to do, and so many don't do it. I'd like to see it be an opt-out program, instead of opt-in as it is now. (at least in the US, I really don't know about other countries)

I think that there are other ways to raise awareness... I think this "show" is cruel and heartless. How would one feel to have to compete at a chance for a kidney donation on TV? I can't imagine the heartache and stress that these people, who don't need this in their lives at this time, will go through.... especially after they lose?!?! This could mean life or death to each and every one of these people... or even someone who isn't given the opportunity to be on this show.

I really find this "show" in appalling!

How would one feel to have to compete at a chance for a kidney donation on TV? I can't imagine the heartache and stress that these people, who don't need this in their lives at this time, will go through.... especially after they lose?!?!

I know what you're saying but they signed up for it themselves, so they know what they're in for.

I find the concept disturbing......whats next?

I know what you're saying but they signed up for it themselves, so they know what they're in for.

It just may mean that they want a kidney very much and will do anything, including going through this farce, to try and get one. It doesn't mean they realize the impact losing will have on their morale or their lives.

I don't like the idea of the whole thing, but what do these people have to lose? They either get jumped to the head of the line, or they stay where they are on the list.

If it raises awareness, maybe this will turn out to be a good thing. I don't know if the end justifies the means or not. I do know that people die everyday waiting for organs, and people die everyday that take their organs with them to the grave because they weren't signed up. (Next of kin may or may not be notified in time, or their decision at such an emotional time is to say no.)

Disturbing is what BNN exists for. :slap:

(Sorry, have to :slap: every time I mention BNN. :slap: )
LOL..Ouch.
Apparently in some countries (here anyway)this would never happen as cancer patients are not permitted to donate organs....something to do with secondary transfer?
Makes you wonder just how successful this donation will be.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=270182

Here is some more info about BNN and founder Bart de Graaff, who suffered from kidney disease and received a kidney transplant himself. This kidney was rejected and he needed another transplant, which he did not get in time, and he died on May 25, 2002 of kidney failure at age 35. The show comes at the 5th anniversary of his passing away. Unfortunately I can't find a link in English with info about Bart, just about BNN. Just a little background info. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BNN_(television)

For most patients around the world in need of a kidney, life is an interminable waiting game for an elusive matching donor.

The Netherlands is no different. According to Bert Elbertse, publicity director for the leading Dutch health organization, NIGZ, waiting lists for a kidney stretch to a grueling four and a half years, on average.

But for one Dutch citizen, the wait just got shorter.

This Friday three patients will compete to receive a kidney from a terminally ill young woman, 37-year-old "Lisa."

Dutch TV channel BNN and the producers of the controversial U.K.-based reality show "Big Brother" have come together to produce "Big Donor Show."

The program, which will be broadcast live on BNN this Friday, will show the three "contestants" (each of whom is a match for Lisa's organs) vying for one of her kidneys. <snip>

http://tinyurl.com/2zdw5s

What will they think of next?

I knew reality tv would get out of control- and it is-

I think it is appalling that they are doing this show. It's almost as bad as selling an organ....let's see who can win over the terminally ill lady so we can get the kidney.

Illinois is now an opt out state. Since my daughter is a transplant recipient I just find this so weird,disturbing, and morbid. Would I want to do everything possible to make sure my DD got a liver? Sure I would. Would I participate in this show -maybe as a last and final result, but their is something to be said about a family or the individual donating one's organs as a final gift and being the recipient of that gift.

I just think about this person getting the kidney chatting about their transplant experience and someone asking about the donor and the recipient saying...oh yeah the lady was gonna die and I won her kidney on a game show. How weird is that?

Youre right 2luvmy...this program is really pushing the line....Im just wondering how healthy her kidney is going to be as she gets closer to dying...besides you dont have to die to give a kidney....if she wants to donate do it now without the cameras and drama...Im wondering how much her and the family are being paid to do this.
Im pleased your daughter recieved the organ she needed and hope that she is now healthy and enjoying life.

Youre right 2luvmy...this program is really pushing the line....Im just wondering how healthy her kidney is going to be as she gets closer to dying...besides you dont have to die to give a kidney....if she wants to donate do it now without the cameras and drama...Im wondering how much her and the family are being paid to do this.
Im pleased your daughter recieved the organ she needed and hope that she is now healthy and enjoying life.

First bold: I've wondered that too, and I am amazed that I haven't read anything about that part. I caught a snippet of something a woman said on a discussion board about it, and she said 'not all tumors are cancerous', but heck if I know if that's true or not. I can't bring myself to read the discussion, because it's crazy long, it would annoy me, and I have better things to do than being annoyed.

Second bold: I haven't read anything about that so it's just my opinion, but I'm pretty sure they're not being paid for this. BNN doesn't have money. TV stations over there in general just have a budget big enough to stay on the air, except for the (literally) handful of commercial stations who have more income through more commercials. But even they have nowhere near the money US TV stations have.

I just checked for the month of May but nowhere is one of BNN's shows even in the ratings (they go by amount of people watching). The least viewed program to still make it on the list had 395,000 viewers. Now the Netherlands is a lot smaller than the US but that oughtta tell you something. :rolleyes:

Woops, almost forgot the mandatory :slap: !

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back