Toddlers drown in pond while babysitter naps

Shadow205

Reaction score
• Toddlers accidentally drown in Pennsylvania pond
• Girls, 20 months and 2 years, were put down for nap
• Teenage babysitter tells police she also fell asleep
• Tots wandered out of house while sitter slept

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/31/toddlers.drown.ap/index.html

Heaven has 2 new angels. Prayers to the family and all who are involved.

Oh God, how horrifically sad. I will say prayers for everyone involved.

what a nightmare---How horrible for the parents, and the babysitter- how very awful

This is terrible. I hope the babysitter gets help and can manage to not beat herself up for the rest of her life.

Oh no...how tragic for everyone involved......its just so sad.

How sad! This is the reason why I have alarms on our windows and locks at the top of the door that my daughter cant reach. We have a creek running through our back yard 250 feet away from our house with at least a 12 foot drop. We installed the locks and alarms before she was even old enough to crawl.

Simply horrific for everyone affected- God bless the little girls' souls and God give strength to their family and the babysitter. Unfortunately we know none of their lives will ever be the same and they will be forever scarred by this tragedy.

This is so sad. :(

I just watched a bit of Nancy Grace and they were talking about this. I love NG, but tonight she was really out there. She was really on a roll about how this babysitter should be held accountable. She went on and on about the sitter "napping" and just cut the sitter no slack.

Then NG's next segment was about Maddie McCann. Now you'd think that she would have the same anger toward Maddie's parents, but she didn't. She kept saying how the mom and dad kept checking on Maddie, and they were just across the street. Well, they weren't just across the street, and if you look at the photos of where the restaurant is located, and where the apratment/condo is located, you'd think NG would have went balistic, but she didn't.

I just thought it was odd that she was ready to lynch the babysitter, but is giving the McCann's a pass.

My thoughts and prayers are with both of the families who lost their little girls today in that pond.

I just watched a bit of Nancy Grace and they were talking about this. I love NG, but tonight she was really out there. She was really on a roll about how this babysitter should be held accountable. She went on and on about the sitter "napping" and just cut the sitter no slack.

Then NG's next segment was about Maddie McCann. Now you'd think that she would have the same anger toward Maddie's parents, but she didn't. She kept saying how the mom and dad kept checking on Maddie, and they were just across the street. Well, they weren't just across the street, and if you look at the photos of where the restaurant is located, and where the apratment/condo is located, you'd think NG would have went balistic, but she didn't.

I just thought it was odd that she was ready to lynch the babysitter, but is giving the McCann's a pass.

My thoughts and prayers are with both of the families who lost their little girls today in that pond.

Yes, b/c a teenager getting paid a few bucks an hour should be way more responsible than the child's parents who are well educated adults! :loser: I used to love NG but she ticks me off on a regular basis lately.

I'm not surprised by NG, she is often out there with her reactions to people. CNN is really painting the baby sitter as some kind of villian, while they act like Maddie's parents were totally OK leaving 3 toddlers alone in a hotel room. Honestly, I don't know many parents who have not at one time or another fallen asleep while their children where in the house. I do this every night. Many years ago, My sisters ex sil woke up in the AM to find her 2 toddlers gone, they both drowned in the Apartment complex swimming pool. When I hear NG try to lynch the poor baby sitter over this, it makes me want to slap her.

:mad: I did not watch NG tonight but this makes me very angry! I'm sure that the babysitter, a relative of one of the drowned girls, is going through hell right now.

This is something that could happen to anyone. I've fallen asleep with my toddler who managed to make it out of bed when he awoke without my realizing it. I was lucky that nothing happened!

For NG to contrast this case with that of the McCann's is just ridiculous. While I have empathy for their horrible ordeal, the fact remains that they INTENTIONALLY left all three of their children without ANY form of supervision other than infrequent checks while they enjoyed a long, leisurely meal with friends!

Oh my, how sad!!! I think this could happen to just about anyone! There are precautions, but still things happen. Our 2 year old has a tall child safety gate at her bedroom door, and we have locks at the tops of the doors that lead outside.
I remember babysitting as a teen and being bored out of my mind while the kids napped. I don't think I ever fell asleep but I can see why a babysitter would.

NG is ridiculous to hold this girl to such a higher standard that the McCanns. Everyone has slept when their children have slept but, not everyone can say that they have left their three children in an unlocked room in a forgein country while they went to dinner with friends. Very inconsistant on her part.

Secondly when my now 16 yo was two I was working evening shift at the hospital and my husband would watch her. I came home one night about 12am to find her standing on a bar stool at the kitchen counter with a butcher knife cutting celery. I was very calm and I said what are you doing and she said" I'm making a snack". She had a small cut on her thumb that she had not noticed. My husband had put her to bed at about 8pm and later had gone to bed himself. I am sure in his wildest dreams he did not think she would be down stairs with a very large knife. Things happen.

I caught this tonight. I agree, she was a bit harsh with the baby-sitter.
However, in her defense, in the previous shows she has done on Maddie, she showed alot of anger & disgust towards Maddie's parents.

:( What a sad, sad accident. 2 lives lost and one, I'm afraid, is ruined forever.

Oh how horrible. My daughter is about to go through the red cross babysitting course where her name will be put on a babysitting call list. I will make sure to tell her better yet make her read this article so she knows the importance of babysitting. On another note kids do slip away very easily and in a split second. It has happened to me when my son was 2. Had the state troopers involved and everything they had to shut down half of the high way that runs by our house.It was a nightmare but thank God he was found safe about close to an hour later...

This is so sad for both the parents and the sitter. I hope everyone involved gets counseling.

I babysat as a teenager and thank god I never had anything like that happen, but I fell asleep more than once when parents were out late.The one family I sat for the baby only slept if you laid down with her so in the afternoon it was nap time for gidget too. I have also come home to a sleeping sitter.

As a parent I have also fallen asleep on the couch, (I had the flu) and woke up to my 2 year old making me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on the living room floor. But there is no way for my son to get out of the house.

Everyone always remembers to put dummy plugs in outlets when child-proofing thier homes, but so many people don't think about the doors leading out of the house. I have a two year old and we have these covers that make it impossible for him to turn the knobs. We also as a extra measure have alarms on both doors leading outside and the windows. We learned as soon as my son learned to walk that the fact that we lived right next to the park and swimming pool, he would do whatever it took to try and get outside.

My mother in law thought that the true crime books I read were making me a bit nutty when she first saw them. Until I explained that they were to keep the baby in, not an attempt to keep people out. I told her how my brother at 2 went out our back door, down three flights of stairs and was walking his butt to Kroger's. He was about 10 feet away from having to cross a four lane road when my mother found him. AND SHE WAS AWAKE WHEN HE ESCAPED!
I am not taking any chances.

This tragedy happened very near to where I live and has been covered on the local news. While they are still investigating, local sympathy is with the families, including the babysitter. I haven't heard anyone speak accusingly. However, after seeing NG's coverage last night I was afraid to look hear and find people criticizing the babysitter. I am glad to see that posters recognize a terrible accident when they see one. I feel for the young woman who was desparately performing CPR on BOTH babies when the rescue team arrive. She will carry guilt for the rest of her life.

Very sad.... Those poor babies...
I can't imagine the pain that the family AND babysitter are feeling right now.

This tragedy happened very near to where I live and has been covered on the local news. While they are still investigating, local sympathy is with the families, including the babysitter. I haven't heard anyone speak accusingly. However, after seeing NG's coverage last night I was afraid to look hear and find people criticizing the babysitter. I am glad to see that posters recognize a terrible accident when they see one. I feel for the young woman who was desparately performing CPR on BOTH babies when the rescue team arrive. She will carry guilt for the rest of her life.
I didnt see ng, but I too was pleased to see the sympathy for the babysitter also- I cant imagine what they are all going thru

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back