MI Man Takes Wild Wheelchair Ride

southcitymom

Reaction score
Website
www.janicefahy.com
Mich. Man in Wheelchair Takes Wild Ride

<!--endtext--><SCRIPT language=JavaScript><!-- Beginfunction popUp(URL) {day = new Date();id = day.getTime();if (URL.match(/qtplayer/)){ eval("page" + id + " = window.open(URL, '" + id + "', 'toolbar=0,scrollbars=1,location=0,statusbar=1,menubar=0,resizable=1,width=440,height=300,left = 300,top = 200');");}else{ eval("page" + id + " = window.open(URL, '" + id + "', 'toolbar=0,scrollbars=1,location=0,statusbar=1,menubar=0,resizable=1,width=440,height=220,left = 300,top = 200');");}}// End --></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript> <!-- function openMP(the_url) { the_url = "http://" + document.domain + "/" + the_url; var the_height_width = "height=600,width=890" + ",menubar=no,location=no,toolbar=no,resizable=no,scrollbars=no,status=no"; if (navigator.appName.indexOf("Microsoft") != -1) { the_height_width += ",left=" + ((screen.availWidth - 890) *.5) + ",top=" + ((screen.availHeight - 600) *.5);} else if (navigator.appName.indexOf("Netscape") != -1) { the_height_width += ",screenX=" + ((screen.availWidth - 890) *.5) + ",screenY=" + ((screen.availHeight - 600) *.5); } window.open(the_url,"_blank",the_height_width); } // --></SCRIPT><!--begintext-->PAW PAW, Mich. — A man was taken on a wild ride when his wheelchair became lodged in the grille of a semitrailer and was accidentally pushed down a highway for four miles at about 50 mph, authorities said.
The 21-year-old man, whose name was not released, was unharmed but was taken to a hospital as a precaution. He had been secured to his wheelchair by a seat belt.
<!--endtext--><!--startclickprintexclude--><!--startclickprintexclude--><SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/coxnet/js/daytonbreadcrumbtable.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><!--endclickprintexclude--><!--endclickprintexclude--><!--begintext-->"The man spilled his soda pop, but he wasn't upset," said Sgt. Kathy Morton of the Michigan State Police.
About 4 p.m. Wednesday, a caller told police dispatchers, "You are not going to believe this: There is a semi truck pushing a guy in a wheelchair on Red Arrow Highway," state police said in a release.
Authorities initially wondered whether the report was a prank call until others called with similar reports.
Officers stopped the truck — wheelchair still attached — at a trucking company. The driver didn't believe officers until he stepped from his cab and saw for himself.
"When he saw us, he was like, 'What's going on?'" Morton said.
An investigation revealed the man in the wheelchair had pulled in front of the truck at a gas station and it somehow became lodged by its handles to the front grille.

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/shared-gen/ap/Feature_Stories/ODD_Wheelchair_Truck_Ride.html

:eek:

OMG!!! How funny. The visuals are hysterical!

Thank God he wasn't hurt. How scary for him.

OMG!!! How funny. The visuals are hysterical!

Thank God he wasn't hurt. How scary for him.

I can only imagine the thrilling rush - scarey as it was, those endorphins were kickin'! At first I assumed he was an old man - don't know why. Being a young man explains why he didn't have a heart attack!

I'm so glad I wasn't the truck driver. I laugh hysterically when I'm stressed but know everything is fine. I'd have laughed at this poor man in a wheelchair until I cried and he'd have thought I was either insensitive or loony. It would have been from the relief he was okay, but that woudn't be evident. :)

Wow, that's just amazing that he was OK! That must have been something to see. I'm like GlitchWizard, I'd have gotten the giggles and they'd haul me off for drug testing or something...

http://www.nbc10.com/news/13466723/detail.html

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. -- Ben Carpenter got the ride of a lifetime when his electric wheelchair became lodged in the grille of a semitrailer and was accidentally pushed down a highway for several miles at about 50 mph.

............................more at link above......................................................
His guardian angel must have been watching over him otherwise there is no other way to explain how he managed to escape harm after this wild ride..
must have been quite the ride though..too bad he couldnt have enjoyed it more .. he must have been scared witless.

I see that now.. must have missed it earlier .sorry:0)

Now Glitch w

At first I assumed he was an old man - don't know why. Being a young man explains why he didn't have a heart attack!

hmmm, well I could probably tell you why but it would take me awhile and I'm sure you can figure it out Glitch:angel: (I've read some of your posts and you seem pretty with it).

As someone who actually uses a wheelchair (and has done my entire life and is pretty damn good at it if I do say so myself), YIKES that story scared the crap out of me! I mean I like an adventure as much as the next person but I think I'll stick to an occasional fair ride!

Utopia

So how fast did it take for the police to find this guy? I read the truck only made it 4 miles. (Though it probably felt like 100 miles to the guy in the wheelchair)
Kudos to the police for acting so quickly.

First I would have freaked if I was the truck driver. Then after seeing the guy was alive and unharmed, I would have let out a giant sigh. Then I would have start thinking about it and I would have burst into tears laughing about it. I'm sure the wheelchair motor is burned out and those tires will need to be replaced.

Could you imagine driving next to the truck and seeing this guy?

I like the "The man spilled his soda pop, but he wasn't upset". What a cool customer!

I think because a young guy would be more apt to have NOTICED a semi and not hang out in front of one (wheelchair or no)... perhaps the elderly in my family are addled enough that I assumed incorrectly. :)

(I only hope to live long enough to be one of the addled elderly!)

Now Glitch w

hmmm, well I could probably tell you why but it would take me awhile and I'm sure you can figure it out Glitch:angel: (I've read some of your posts and you seem pretty with it).

As someone who actually uses a wheelchair (and has done my entire life and is pretty damn good at it if I do say so myself), YIKES that story scared the crap out of me! I mean I like an adventure as much as the next person but I think I'll stick to an occasional fair ride!

Utopia

Can you imagine being the truck driver? I wonder if he needed clean underwear when he found out what happened?

I'm sure he's struggling with the same thing we ALL would be - how to rationalize the so horribly incorrect laughter that came out unexpectedly as he realized the full extent of the situation (that the guy was okay.)

On a smaller scale, I guffawed outloud when a waiter dumped a huge glass of water all over a couple in a restaraunt the other day. I got a swift KICK from my daughter. Deserved. There's just no grabbing back noises like that, you know?

Can you imagine being the truck driver? I wonder if he needed clean underwear when he found out what happened?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back