CA - Brittany Hart, 24, Santee, 24 May 2007

fran

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I'm posting this a little late. This young woman went missing in May, within an hour of where I live, but yet I'd never heard of the case. She's still missing but they've made an arrest for her murder.

They can and do try people when no body has been found.

fran

http://www.signonsandiego.com/

Arrest Made in Disappearance

This is a more detailed article

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20070607-9999-7m7hart.html

Man arrested in disappearance of Santee woman

At least one call placed between two
By Angelica Martinez
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

June 7, 2007

Sheriff's officials yesterday announced the arrest of a registered sex offender in connection with the disappearance of a Santee woman missing since late May.

Robert Steven Carson, who turns 40 today, was arrested Tuesday night and booked on suspicion of murder, said Lt. Dennis Brugos of the sheriff's homicide unit.

“I don't believe there were that many, maybe two,” conversations to and from Hart's cell phone, Brugos said.

The relationship between the two has not been determined, Brugos said, but investigators believe Hart was in Carson's Spring Valley home on Maria Avenue near Chestnut Street before she went missing.

Hart has not been found, although investigators are “reasonably certain” she is not alive, he said.

Deputies served a search warrant at Carson's home Tuesday night and didn't leave until early yesterday, Brugos said. Carson arrived home while investigators were there and was arrested.

.............................more at link......................

What brought my attention to this case is my son who lives in the San Diego area called me and said this young woman looks much like my 22 yo daughter who graduated from UCSD one year after this young woman. Our daughter lives on her own, jogs, does volunteer work at a shelter, has a night life in the San Diego area, etc., and he's concerned for her safety.

Our daughter is in between residences right now, she just moved out of one apartment and is storing her things while she's out of town for a month for training for her job. But when she returns, she's going to get a new place.

We have four daughters. What is going to keep them safe?

Although we've given each of our daughters pepper spray, my husband has decided he's going to give our 22 yo (probably all 4 daughters) a stun gun for when she goes running. We're HOPING she'll use it not just when she's running but keep it with her most of the time, even in her own home (say, on a night stand).
It's the size of a deck of cards and costs about $40. A small price to pay should it ever be used to save one's life, imo.

She knows to be careful, but she still runs along the beach, school running tracks, strolling paths. She also listens to her Ipod while doing this. She's very well aware of her surroundings, but how aware can we be and still be safe?

The Kelsy Smith case scares me, in broad daylight at a Target parking lot. A young woman who meets somone casually and doesn't know their 'entire' past.

What a scary world this has become.:(

JMHO
fran

Brittany.jpg

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/laf/345727466.html
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19030058/

http://c5.zedo.com//ads2/f/268295/3...0/305/39/zz-V1-pop1181108021463.html?a=;l=;p=

Suspect in woman's disappearance has criminal history

Man was convicted of rape in 1987

By Anne Krueger
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

June 8, 2007

EAST COUNTY – Twenty years ago, a San Diego woman pleaded with a judge to hand down a lengthy prison sentence to the man convicted of raping her.

............................snip..........................

Carson was sentenced to six years in prison and required to register as a sex offender.

...............................snip........................

Carson, 40, was out of jail on $50,000 bail in a separate case when he was arrested outside his home in Spring Valley. He had been charged in November with evading a police officer and driving under the influence of drugs. He had a hearing set for today.

...............................snip.......................

In April 1987, he was charged with a string of sexual assaults that prosecutors described in papers filed in court.

One woman was attacked while walking in San Diego's Grantville neighborhood. She was knocked down and punched in the mouth before a passing car frightened off her attacker.

Another woman was parking near her condominium when she was grabbed from behind and hit on the back of the head. She was dragged in front of another car and sexually assaulted.

.........................snip.....................

Carson was convicted of the two attacks but acquitted of two other sexual assaults.

In 2003, he was charged with battery on a police officer and sexual battery. Because of his previous convictions, he was charged under the state's “three strikes” law that would have added years to his prison sentence.

Carson pleaded guilty in February 2003 to reduced charges of resisting arrest and misdemeanor sexual battery. He was placed on three years' probation.

When is LE going to get this right!? How many victims 'disappeared' like this young woman?

These guys never change. They reoffend and reoffend and reoffend.

JMHO
fran

This guy should have never been on the streets. Sexual predators don't stop searching for prey. :banghead:

What brought my attention to this case is my son who lives in the San Diego area called me and said this young woman looks much like my 22 yo daughter who graduated from UCSD one year after this young woman. Our daughter lives on her own, jogs, does volunteer work at a shelter, has a night life in the San Diego area, etc., and he's concerned for her safety.

Our daughter is in between residences right now, she just moved out of one apartment and is storing her things while she's out of town for a month for training for her job. But when she returns, she's going to get a new place.

We have four daughters. What is going to keep them safe?

Although we've given each of our daughters pepper spray, my husband has decided he's going to give our 22 yo (probably all 4 daughters) a stun gun for when she goes running. We're HOPING she'll use it not just when she's running but keep it with her most of the time, even in her own home (say, on a night stand).
It's the size of a deck of cards and costs about $40. A small price to pay should it ever be used to save one's life, imo.

She knows to be careful, but she still runs along the beach, school running tracks, strolling paths. She also listens to her Ipod while doing this. She's very well aware of her surroundings, but how aware can we be and still be safe?

The Kelsy Smith case scares me, in broad daylight at a Target parking lot. A young woman who meets somone casually and doesn't know their 'entire' past.

What a scary world this has become.:(

JMHO
fran

I like the stun gun idea better than the pepper spray. With a good wind blowing, the spray might get in the wrong person's eyes.

I totally feel your frustration, Fran. My 22 yr old dd doesn't take these things seriously, even when I show her what happened to Kelsey IN BROAD DAYLIGHT. They think they are immortal, I guess. Actually I think mine thinks she could fight someone off.

I guess we can arm them with the best information and techniques out there...and then just pray. ~~sigh~~

Why was I not surprised to hear in this case that it was another registered sex offender? :razz:

When is LE going to get this right!? How many victims 'disappeared' like this young woman?

These guys never change. They reoffend and reoffend and reoffend.

JMHO
fran

What we need to do is start holding judges accountable for allowing repeat offenders back into society with sentences that equate to nothing more than a slap on the wrist. I can't remember who said it, but he was a member of LE and his view was: it is disheartening to work your butt off in the name of LE to catch a criminal and take them off the street, to only watch a judge put the perp back out on the street in no time. The judiciary system is what leads to some cops/detectives to become disheartened with their work, so they leave.

The judiciary system needs scrutinizing, and judges need to be closer scrutinized...

A decomposing body found Friday in the Cleveland National Forest has been confirmed by the medical examiner's office to be that of Brittany Hart, 10News reported.

http://www.10news.com/news/13516541/detail.html

My heart goes out to the Hart family. God bless them.

They know who killed her. Now it's time to make the conviction stick and put this perp where he belongs. Death Row.

I wish they'd keep these guys in prison forever. What a waste.

I've thought about getting a stun gun, but I wasn't sure it was OK to possess one. Anybody know if it's a state by state thing? If I can get one, I'd like to.

makes me wonder just how many of those 'modelling' ads are out there, that are posted by psychos. probably quite a few. i know this isn't the first time a young woman has been killed by a guy after meeting up with him for a 'photo shoot'.

Fran, I really wish that your daughter would jog with another female and that she wouldn't listen to her Ipod while jogging. It's when a person is alone and has head phones on where they don't hear anything but music that a creep can grab them. I think that anyone who jogs should have a partner with them. I think a stun gun is a great idea and as for me...I wouldn't care if it is against the law or not...I would carry one. Once you are grabbed, raped and murdered it is to late to worry about the law. At least a stun gun gives a female a chance to get away.

When my oldest daughter was in her teens she would jog at night in an area where no one would have seen anything going on. I couldn't tell her a thing because she knew it all. I had a policeman friend come over and talk to her about rape, etc. She did listen to him and stopped running at night and in isolated places. He told her about a female that was out jogging in the afternoon right behind Safeway...she was raped right behind the store and no one saw anything.

This is such a scary day and age to live in. I swear there are perverts around every corner just waiting for the chance to strike.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back