2 sets of sextuplets born 10 hours apart

Spazkat9696

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/1-06122007-1361501.html

I have been following both of these families for a few weeks there is also a woman in Florida expecting 6. I hope that the Morrison 6 are Ok they were only at 22 weeks and one is only 11oz. The Masche 6 were at 30 weeks and 4 days so they have a better chance. I know a lot of people critize these parents for doing this but now we must think of the children because they are here now. I wish them all the best and hope they are all well soon.

It's amazing that they are holding on as tiny as they are, did you get a good look at the picture? OMG, he is so small.

One couple were described as terrified when they found out they were about to have sextuplets--think that's a pretty normal reaction at first--Its interesting that doctors keep pushing "selective reduction" to increase the other babies chances but new parents consistently resist this--The couple on Discovery Channel refused that option too and all of their cute kids are totally normal--Of course, this is not always the case--The septuplets born to another couple,I think 2 of them had some physical problems--and I think there was a case in England where the woman had like 7 or 8 babies,was warned to make reductions,didn't do it, and none of the fetuses survived--so there is obviously some risk but lets hope that both of these new couples sextuplets are all happy and healthy

Turns out the mom of the 6 born at 30 weeks 4 days suffered acute heart failure after the birth and is in the ICU. Theysy she did not loose enough blood during the delivery and her heart couldn't handle it. She had twice the amount of blood as normal so that the babies were supplied. Those babies are all breathing on their own and have been eating and getting their diapers changed. All I have heard about the other family 22 week dwlivery is the babies are all in critical condition but the mom is in good condition. The name of the FLorida couple expecting 6 is Karoline & Ben Byler Here are links to the websites for the other families http://www.maschemiracles.com/ (30 week 4 day set) http://morrison6.com/ (22 week set) I can tell you the sites are busy so you may have to try a few times.

Interesting site about multiple births. Though it hasn't been updated to include these births.

http://www3.telus.net/tyee/multiples/

Record goes to: (under multiple multiples)

*Vassiliev (Russia) 4 sets quads, 7 sets triplets, 16 sets twins from 1725-1765 with 1st wife. Only 2 died. 18 kids in 8 pregnancies with 2nd wife. 83 of 87 were living at the time they were presented to the government. There is substantial proof verifying this family.

That is soo sad ..... The chances of a baby born at 22 weeks is less then 50/50.

I understand that the majority of these multiple birth parents claim to not elect for selective reduction for religious reasons.. On the one hand as a parent I could see non-religous reasons as well ... just simply these our your children.
On the other..
When going through IVF parents are well counciled that this could happen and I can't understand why they risk it.

I am not looking for an abortion debate here... so please lets not go into that... that is a topic for anther thread.

I am just wondering why any parent would knowingly bring tragedy to their child?
I hope the rest of these babies and the one mother are ok.

She, the one who lost a baby, did not use IVF. I think IVF should be limited to 3 eggs each time

She, the one who lost a baby, did not use IVF. I think IVF should be limited to 3 eggs each time

OH I did read that one was Fertility drugs but still I am sure they have the same counciling because the fertility drugs tend to create multiple births just like IVF does.

I totally agree about your limit ... (I was actually thinking 4 but either way!)

Thank for keeping us updated on this one!
I had not heard about the women in Florida.

I'm not sure which one he was but one was only 11 oz when he/she was born

OH I did read that one was Fertility drugs but still I am sure they have the same counciling because the fertility drugs tend to create multiple births just like IVF does.

I totally agree about your limit ... (I was actually thinking 4 but either way!)

Thank for keeping us updated on this one!
I had not heard about the women in Florida.

Yeah, more than 3 is almost always fertility drugs. They rarely implant more than 3 or 4 eggs, and for all of them to implant is very unusual.

If you read their story on the website, it says they were counseled that there was an okay chance of twins, a slight chance of triplets, and astronomical chances of any more than that.

I doubt anyone seriously worries about that part. Kind of like signing the waiver about "this may cause death or injury" when you are having dental work. You know it could happen, but the risk is so small that it isn't going to stop you.

Poor baby! Actually, 50/50 isn't bad. Not too long ago they wouldn't even try to revive or save a baby before about 24 weeks. The fact that 5 of them have a chance is mind boggling.

Yeah, more than 3 is almost always fertility drugs. They rarely implant more than 3 or 4 eggs, and for all of them to implant is very unusual.

If you read their story on the website, it says they were counseled that there was an okay chance of twins, a slight chance of triplets, and astronomical chances of any more than that.

I doubt anyone seriously worries about that part. Kind of like signing the waiver about "this may cause death or injury" when you are having dental work. You know it could happen, but the risk is so small that it isn't going to stop you.

Poor baby! Actually, 50/50 isn't bad. Not too long ago they wouldn't even try to revive or save a baby before about 24 weeks. The fact that 5 of them have a chance is mind boggling.

I agree that no one takes it seriously but with the uprising of multiple births I think they really need to.
I actually think that before treatment they should be made to sign a waiver saying they will agree to the selective reduction.
IMO it is cruel to delibrately pose a threat of severe disability upon your yet to be born child.
Even if the remaining 5 survive .... the problems they will have??
There is sadly noway that at 22 weeks they will not all have severe long term health issues. Most commonly preemies are likely to have eye and heart problems.

I actually think that before treatment they should be made to sign a waiver saying they will agree to the selective reduction.

To a lot of people that is abortion and to many undergoing the procedure it's unthinkable because of how hard they have tried to get pregnant in the first place.

I agree that no one takes it seriously but with the uprising of multiple births I think they really need to.
IMO it is cruel to delibrately pose a threat of severe disability upon your yet to be born child.
Even if the remaining 5 survive .... the problems they will have??
There is sadly noway that at 22 weeks they will not all have severe long term health issues. Most commonly preemies are likely to have eye and heart problems.

The risk is infinitessimal compared to the risk of a child having brain damage from a car accident or falling off a skateboard or roller blading or a million other things we do every day.

Don't know how you could force someone to abort their children, especially as the "selective reduction" procedure puts all of the babies at risk.

I am amazed at the progress being made with preemies now. My friend's twins were born at 25 weeks about 13 years ago. They were right on the line of being saved. The bigger twin, Brian, died a few minutes after birth. The other is going into the 8th grade. He wears glasses now. He did have a lot of issues at first, but you'd never know it today. His mom would be really pissed if anyone suggested he should have died.

The risk is infinitessimal compared to the risk of a child having brain damage from a car accident or falling off a skateboard or roller blading or a million other things we do every day.

Don't know how you could force someone to abort their children, especially as the "selective reduction" procedure puts all of the babies at risk.

I am amazed at the progress being made with preemies now. My friend's twins were born at 25 weeks about 13 years ago. They were right on the line of being saved. The bigger twin, Brian, died a few minutes after birth. The other is going into the 8th grade. He wears glasses now. He did have a lot of issues at first, but you'd never know it today. His mom would be really pissed if anyone suggested he should have died.

I dont believe anyone is stating he should have died-there is also a very big difference between carrying and delivering healthy twins, versus sextuplets-

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rainydaze17
Back