Joseph Hurtado

hurtado_joseph.jpg
hurtado_joseph_ap.jpg

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: September 9, 1974 from El Paso, Texas
Classification: Non-Family Abduction
Date Of Birth: January 5, 1973
Height and Weight: 2'6, 22 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Hispanic male. Light brown hair, brown eyes. Hurtado has a birthmark near his right kidney.
Clothing/Jewelry Description: Brown orthopedic shoes.
Medical Conditions: Hurtado had club feet at the time of his 1974 disappearance. He was wearing the above-mentioned orthopedic shoes at the time he vanished to help correct the problem. If left untreated, club feet can lead to severe intoeing (pigeon-toes) later in life.

Details of Disappearance
Hurtado was last seen walking to his grandmother's house in El Paso, Texas on September 9, 1974. Hurtado's mother was washing the family's car in their driveway at the time; when she looked up, Hurtado had disappeared. A neighbor reported seeing an unidentified blue car in the area at the time Hurtado was last seen. The vehicle disappeared at the same time Hurtado vanished. He has never been seen again.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
El Paso County Sheriff's Office
915-546-2291
OR
Texas Department Of Public Safety
800-346-3243

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hurtado_joseph.html

I've never understood this one. A 1-year-old was last seen walking to his grandmother's house? Even if she lived right next door, who would allow a baby to walk alone? It doesn't say anyone was walking with him. I wonder if there is more to the story than is being revealed.

Good point...I never really thought about that, but yeah it doesn't make sense for a one year old to be walking to grandma's house..

If Grandma lived right next door and Mom was washing her car in the driveway, Joseph would have been very close to her the whole time. The distance between my own driveway and the door of the house next door is shorter than the distance between my driveway and my own front door.

A thought: Michael Montelongo, another very young Hispanic boy, disappeared from San Benito, Texas in 1977, three years after Joseph Hurtado. http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/montelongo_michael.html

I can't help but wonder whether there's a connection. San Benito and El Paso are like 11 hours apart, but both of them are smack on the Mexican border. Of course, so little info is available about either case that it's hard to tell one way or another. With Michael it could be just about anything: an abduction, a drowning accident, or death at the hands of his mother, who sounds very flaky at the very least.

If Grandma lived right next door and Mom was washing her car in the driveway, Joseph would have been very close to her the whole time. The distance between my own driveway and the door of the house next door is shorter than the distance between my driveway and my own front door.

Yeah, but at age 1? A baby? A one-year-old can't understand the instruction to "walk next door to grandma's." If Grandma was sitting on the porch and the mother said, "Go to grandma," that would be one thing, but for the mother to be so invested in washing her car that she tells an infant to take it upon himself to walk next door, I find that to be very suspect. At the very least it is neglect, but it sound like such a flimsy story to me. I really think there must be more to it, or that's not the whole story, or the mother is leaving something out. Something. I wonder what the official police report says, and if they (the police) questioned the mother more closely or even suspected her.

I often wonder about such stories. There's another of a little girl about a year old, who supposedly disappeared while in a park with her father. Dad fell asleep on a park bench and when he woke up, the child was gone. Problem: this was Ann Arbor, Michigan in February. I live about 150 miles south of Ann Arbor, and Februaries are quite bad enough here. Wikipedia says Ann Arbor's February temperatures are between 18 and 34 degrees on average, probably closer to 18. Even if you were insane enough to take your baby outside to play in that kind of weather, you wouldn't fall asleep. To fall asleep in that kind of cold is to freeze to death.

/\ /\ Exactly. What seems automatically suspect to any normal person sometimes seems to be taken as truth by LE. Although I'm sure there is always more to it, that LE has the same, and probably more, suspicions as we do.

It kills me because missing children cases really get to me, and I wonder in how many of them the parents know more than they are saying.

This case may not be like that; maybe this baby really was walking to Grandma's house alone. I just can't wrap my mind around that logic.

Exactly. What seems automatically suspect to any normal person sometimes seems to be taken as truth by LE. Although I'm sure there is always more to it, that LE has the same, and probably more, suspicions as we do.

I don't know about Joseph Hurtado, but regards the Ann Arbor girl, I've heard through unofficial channels that law enforcement suspected the parents from the beginning and believe they may have sold or given away the child. (Let's hope that's what happened.) But it still says "girl disappeared when dad fell asleep on a park bench" on her poster. I suppose that's the only thing they have to go on, but it really bothers me when the NCMEC (and other organization) posters state things which have been proven to be false -- like, you know they'll never change Nicole Bryner's "disappeared at the supermarket" poster even though her mother's boyfriend admitted to killing Nicole and making up the supermarket story.

I read an article in the local newspaper today and was relieved to see that it is also online.

Joseph's parents were interviewed for the article and share some insight into what happened that day. I think it is important to have more background so I brought it here.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/newupdated/ci_13295906

Posted: 09/09/2009 12:00:00 AM MDT

...Joseph, will be found. He was 20 months old when he vanished on Sept. 9, 1974...

...The parents say Joseph was last seen walking in the yard of his home on Elmwood Street in the Upper Valley. His mother was outside washing the car. His father had just come home from work and was inside.

Joseph kept scurrying between the two of them. Then he was gone...

...The Hurtados, now divorced, say that the only item out of place that day in their quiet neighborhood was a blue Ford that drove onto Elmwood, which dead-ends. Jose Hurtado, 57, says he still thinks that someone in that blue car snatched his son...

...Sheriff's detectives questioned both parents and the neighbors. All were cleared as suspects, said Dorothy Hurtado, 54...

...Joseph Hurtado would be 36 years old today. He was born with club feet, and he wore brown high-top orthopedic shoes. He had a brown birthmark in the middle of his back...

...His case is classified by the center as a non-family abduction, one of the rarest crimes...

Attachments

• josephhurtado.jpg
    josephhurtado.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 66
THanks for this article Kat. I wonder a lot how much wrong information is posted on Doe and NCMEC. I do believe this kiddo was a stranger abduction.

Another article from El Paso Times.

Posted: 06/13/2010 12:00:00 AM MDT

...On the 35th anniversary of Joseph's disappearance, the El Paso Times published a story about the case. That spurred a tip to El Paso County sheriff's investigators, who then launched an investigation of a possible suspect, said Joseph's father, Jose Hurtado.

Investigators eventually uncovered enough information to believe that the suspect might have murdered Joseph, Hurtado said. Investigators have not divulged to Joseph's family the details of the information they have, including the suspect's name. Joseph's body has not been found...

snip~

...Prosecutors recently presented the case to a grand jury, but jurors declined to indict the suspect, District...

Like you Thefragile, I thought he was abducted. I had held hopes against hopes (until I read this last article) that he was taken and moved across the border into Mexico by someone that wanted a child.

I wonder who they presented to the Grand Jury? I understand that because this case is so old it might have been difficult for the GJ to indict.

Prayers for Joseph's parents.

I personally know Jose Hurtado Joseph Hurtado's dad. He's like a dad to me. He married my best friends mom. He's told me this story dozens of times and how it happened so I personally believe him mostly because he's the dad I never had. So it bothers me when they say it was his fault that Joseph disappeared.

Hello, I just wanted to thank you all for taking the time out of your lives to give my brother a thought. You don't know how much it meant to me to see this thread.
We still to this day have no resolution to his abduction and the past few years have been a roller coaster ride for all of us especially my parents and even thou myself and my siblings were not born when the abduction happened It had a big effect on our lives. Who knows how all of our lives would have been had this not had happened.
There have been breaks in the case but with out physical evidence nothing can be done. Gotta love our judicial system:pullhair:
I'm sure one of these days we will have closure.
Again Thank you all

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/6204/12
Status Missing
First name Joseph
Middle name
Last name Hurtado
Nickname/Alias
NCMEC number 601771
Date last seen September 09, 1974 00:00
Date entered 04/15/2010
Age last seen 1 to 1 years old
Age now 41 years old
Race Other
Ethnicity Hispanic/Latino
Sex Male
Height (inches) 30.0
Weight (pounds) 22.0
Dental Status: Dental information / charting is currently not available
DNA Status: Sample submitted - Tests complete
Fingerprint Information Status: Fingerprint information is currently not available

Joseph has been missing for 40 years today.

Joseph Hurtado: Jan 5, 1973

Missing Since: Sep 9, 1974

Missing From: El Paso, TX

Joseph was last seen walking to his grandmother's house. A neighbor said he saw an unidentified blue car in the area. The car disappeared the same time as Joseph. Joseph has a birthmark near his right kidney and has club feet. He was wearing brown orthopedic shoes when taken. If condition is not treated, he will have severely pigeon-toed feet.

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/f...for-missing-teenage-7395614.php#photo-8340499

I wish they could release more information on the person(s) they suspect took him. Maybe someone on here could find more information to help prosecute them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back