Graham: Wife To Be Buried In Charlotte

Taximom

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy.../06/13/AR2007061301447.html?hpid=sec-religion

Seems like there is a little disagreement between family members as to where she wants to be buried. She's in a coma at this point....

"The burial site has been a matter of contention for months, threatening to break apart the country's most famous Christian family. A Washington Post story in December revealed that son Franklin Graham, chief executive officer of the BGEA, had told potential donors that he planned to bury his parents at the Billy Graham Library in Charlotte.
Two of the other four Graham children, Ned Graham and Anne Graham Lotz, objected, as did Ruth, who called the library, a Disney-like building in the shape of a barn, "a circus." In the presence of six witnesses, including Ned, a neuroscientist and a Graham employee, Ruth signed a notarized statement saying she wished to be buried in a memorial garden at the Cove, a mountain retreat center that she and Billy built about 20 years ago.
Originally, she and Billy wanted to be buried there, the document said, and "under no circumstances am I to be buried in Charlotte, N.C.""

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy.../06/13/AR2007061301447.html?hpid=sec-religion

Seems like there is a little disagreement between family members as to where she wants to be buried. She's in a coma at this point....

"The burial site has been a matter of contention for months, threatening to break apart the country's most famous Christian family. A Washington Post story in December revealed that son Franklin Graham, chief executive officer of the BGEA, had told potential donors that he planned to bury his parents at the Billy Graham Library in Charlotte.
Two of the other four Graham children, Ned Graham and Anne Graham Lotz, objected, as did Ruth, who called the library, a Disney-like building in the shape of a barn, "a circus." In the presence of six witnesses, including Ned, a neuroscientist and a Graham employee, Ruth signed a notarized statement saying she wished to be buried in a memorial garden at the Cove, a mountain retreat center that she and Billy built about 20 years ago.
Originally, she and Billy wanted to be buried there, the document said, and "under no circumstances am I to be buried in Charlotte, N.C.""
My question is was Ruth Graham in a sane state of mind when she signed the latest document, and were there any witnesses as there was in the signing of the document she signed to be buried at the cove. I think she may have been to unwell to realise what she was signing as she signed the document to be buried in Charlotte, and I think she should be buried in cove.

I hope that the family comes together on this decision. It sounds like they changed their minds at different times. I imagine that Billy will have the final say on where they are buried at though. Personally I don't really think it matters where a person is buried. The moment they did their spirit leaves their body and all that is left is the old empty shell.

When I die I want to be cremated and then I want my kids and grandkids to get into my son's boat and go to this sandy island in the middle of a lake in Eastern Washington where the kids always go fishing. It is real peaceful on the sandy island and that is where I want them to release my ashes. I love the thought of the sand and water and peace. I don't want a service. My kids and grandkids can have their own service on the boat. Do I need to get that in writing...lol

I hope that the family comes together on this decision. It sounds like they changed their minds at different times. I imagine that Billy will have the final say on where they are buried at though. Personally I don't really think it matters where a person is buried. The moment they did their spirit leaves their body and all that is left is the old empty shell.

When I die I want to be cremated and then I want my kids and grandkids to get into my son's boat and go to this sandy island in the middle of a lake in Eastern Washington where the kids always go fishing. It is real peaceful on the sandy island and that is where I want them to release my ashes. I love the thought of the sand and water and peace. I don't want a service. My kids and grandkids can have their own service on the boat. Do I need to get that in writing...lol

Absolutely get it in writing, even if it appears all family is in agreements. Things can turn on a pivotal axis due to any one thing occurring causing contention.

Her husband Billy will follow her wishes and I believe he will be making the final decision. There shouldn't be contention here, this man and woman should be buried together for their twine is one. I wish all marriages reflected theirs.

She was a wonderful woman and had a true servant's heart to help others without getting the glory.

I am so sad about the family controversy over her burial site, I really feel she did wanted to be buried in the little mountain town site, but she is going to be buried none the less at the public library visitation spot with Billy eventually there as well.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back