Canada - Steven Cranley for domestic violence, Peterborough, Ont, 2007

White Rain

Reaction score
PETERBOROUGH, Ontario -- A Canadian man won't be available for a relationship over the next three years -- by court order.

An Ontario judge has ruled that Steven Cranley can't have a girlfriend until 2010.

Cranley, who's 24, pleaded guilty earlier this week to charges stemming from an assault on a former girlfriend. He punched and kicked his girlfriend during an argument after their break-up. When police arrived he stabbed himself with a butcher knife, puncturing his aorta.

Doctors said Cranley has a dependent personality disorder, and finds it hard to deal with rejection. And they said he'll probably re-offend if he gets involved in another romantic relationship.

Cranley has served nearly 150 days in custody. The judge decided that was enough jail time.
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/13502638/detail.html

Put him away for 3 more yrs instead. Let him try that on some bf's in prison. He should have been charged with attempted murder.

The judge didn't say "boyfriend" though.

:D

lol...seriously this was stupid...I mean couldn't the guy have a gf anyway but claim that they are just friends? And who is gonna be following this guy around 24/7 making sure he doesn't have a gf?

Put him away for 3 more yrs instead. Let him try that on some bf's in prison. He should have been charged with attempted murder.

He doesn't need to be jailed. He needs mental help. Let's stop this excercise of throwing away humans.

lol...seriously this was stupid...I mean couldn't the guy have a gf anyway but claim that they are just friends? And who is gonna be following this guy around 24/7 making sure he doesn't have a gf?

"Friends with benefits" and "one night stands", should have been included, right?!

I agree with Paladin. This guy needs some mental help.

Jail time too for the abuse.

He doesn't need to be jailed. He needs mental help. Let's stop this excercise of throwing away humans.

I will be humble enough to admit many people jailed do need mental help and not prison time. I just hate men that beat women. Been there done that, never again. It leaves a scar on the victim that does not heal.

This was "issued" by a Canadian Judge, I will await the Charter Challenge and Appeal.

How will this be enforced.......I would love to read the transcripts.

So what happens after the three years, it is not like a "personality" disorder responds to treatment.

"Friends with benefits" and "one night stands", should have been included, right?!

Unfortunately, someone with dependent personality disorder may not being able to get down with these options!

I will be humble enough to admit many people jailed do need mental help and not prison time. I just hate men that beat women. Been there done that, never again. It leaves a scar on the victim that does not heal.

Understood. I hate anyone that beats up on anyone else. I realize that most of the time it's men beating women, but it happens in reverse too. There are some nasty broads out there.

Although I agree that this person needs mental health intervention, when a persons thinking is so disordered that they deal with strong negative emotions by assaulting another human, it is indeed time for jail. I don't see it as throwing away a human, I see it as keeping other humans safe from another who won't control their own actions. Give him help, yes, but also give him consequences!

When are we going to stop excusing peoples unacceptable behavior simply because they have a mental illness? (As I have said before, I'm not talking about the Andrea Yates of the world, the "insane"... )

When are we going to stop excusing peoples unacceptable behavior simply because they have a mental illness?

We're not. Some people can't distinguish between right and wrong. That's why children under a certain age aren't held responsible in a legal sense for some things they do because they haven't developed the cognitive skills to understand what they've done.

Some adults have the mental capacity of a child this age, and that's why in some cases it's an acceptable excuse for unacceptable behavior.

I so agree.....

How will this be enforced.......I would love to read the transcripts.

I suppose he could be fitted with a device that would violently squeeze his family jewels should his johnson show the slightest sign of vertical movement.

Nah, screw that. I just imagined this happening to me and concluded that it would be cruel and unusual, or at the very least extremely annoying.

I suppose he could be fitted with a device that would violently squeeze his family jewels should his johnson show the slightest sign of vertical movement.

Oh, Karl. If the guy isn't allowed a girlfriend, I don't think the judge will let him take a wife. :)

:laugh:

You're on your own pal :D

The old-timers may go easy on me. They know I have no experience with wives. I'm just saying stuff I've heard...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back