Identified! UT - Salt Lake Co., WhtFem 200UFUT 'Saltair Sally', 17-23, Oct'00 - Nikole Bakoles

NewMommy09

Reaction score
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/200ufut.html

On October 8, 2000, the skeletal remains of the victim were found in a wooded area off Interstate 80 on the South Shore of the Great Salt Lake. 26 bones were recovered. The bones were located within 100 feet of Interstate 80. The victim is estimated to have died in 1998.

• Estimated age: 17 - 23 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'0-5'3"; 80-100 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Waist-length brown hair. The recovered bones indicated that during the maturation years, the top vertebrae did not fuse correctly which may have caused a slight physical deformity.
  • Dentals: Dental records available. There was extensive dental work done on her teeth, but she also had several cavities developing that had not been addressed.
  • Clothing: There was little clothing found at the scene, but pieces of an extra large white Hanes t-shirt was found in close proximity of the bones. A necklace/choker with three strands of small blue beads woven into a rope type design, about ½ inch in diameter, was also found entangled in the victim’s hair. The necklace/choker is pictured below.

200UFUT.jpg
200UFUT1.jpg

I was hoping some of you would have idea's for some possible matches. This girl would have been about 18 or so when she died. Somebody has to be missing her.

I-80 would run to either Nevada or Wyoming depending on direction taken.
That would be a good starting point for Missing persons.

The area is very baron due to all of the salt, not much grows right there. Very likely that this young woman was dumped en-route.

This exact photo was posted by a man in Alberta who posted on the Project Kare website forum owned wy the R.C.M.P This photo was posted elsewhere by this Man's forum and on amw, under the 140 killer, under the headline "man posts photo of a dead Lady" Am I allowed topost a link to this?

http://forums.prospero.com/foxamw/messages

You will notice the original first couple of pages were deleted as this was a very explosive topic. They contained a pic of this identified woman. I will try to find out more info. Mods, sorry if I am not allowed to post that amw link.

I think that is a possibility, but they estimate the UID died in 1998 which was 2 years before Star's disappearance.

That does make me wonder, though, what kind of effect the salt would have on decomposition. Does anyone know or have any idea's???

ETA: I have always considered missing persons from Nevada on this case, and Star does fall into that realm of thinking.

Hi
Have they checked carrie culberson with her?

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/culberson_clarissa.html

suzanne

I think Carrie would be a long shot, but it is possible. While I have followed cases since Elizabeth Smart and then Laci Peterson went missing, I am still new at this UID thing, and I'm not really sure what to do.

Does anyone have any pointers on turning in tips on these cases?
Is it best to contact the people in charge of the UID, or the people in charge of a missing persons case? Or best to contact Doe Network?
What type of information should be turned in with the tip? Links to WS? Links to case data? Any suggestions or idea's would be greatly appreciated.

I think there are some good suggestions on this thread already. What is everyone else's opinion? Are there any that you feel are close enough to turn in?

ETA: Also, how would I go about determining who has been checked against this UID?

This exact photo was posted by a man in Alberta who posted on the Project Kare website forum owned wy the R.C.M.P This photo was posted elsewhere by this Man's forum and on amw, under the 140 killer, under the headline "man posts photo of a dead Lady" Am I allowed topost a link to this?

http://forums.prospero.com/foxamw/messages

You will notice the original first couple of pages were deleted as this was a very explosive topic. They contained a pic of this identified woman. I will try to find out more info. Mods, sorry if I am not allowed to post that amw link.

Patience, I don't think this link is going to the right place on the website, I am unable to see what you posted about. Could you clarify or tell me how to get to the correct spot on the website? Thanks.

Still hoping, on the amw forums, scroll down to the 1-40 murders-unsolved. Scrool down to "man post photo of a dead lady" The poster who put up the pic of this Utah Jane Doe was Bobboblaw. He travels Canada and the states photographing grain elevators. He claims to be a person of interest of Project Kare in 8 unsolved murders. When Project Kare closed its bulliten board another poster opened of an offshoot site. Here Bobboblaw posted terrible and scary pics of dead women in different positions. These were gruesome pics, dead women or pics that looked like dead and murdered women. The RCMP claimed to be watching him when I reported it to them. One of the pics though was of this particular Utah Jane Doe.

Another poster of the RCMP forum started a blog on the goings on on the RCMP site and I have reason to believe he is an ex RCMP and now famed CDN Criminal Profiler. In his blog, another poster says they also believe that Bob is the killer. I will find the link to this site as well.

Here is a story that was in the Salt Lake Tribune today about 'Saltair Sally'.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_8360054

Using a new hair-analysis technique, University of Utah scientists have helped detectives map the movements of an unidentified homicide victim over the last few years of her life before her body was deposited - around 1997 or 1998 - off the north frontage road that runs between Interstate 80 and the lake shore east of Saltair.

By the time a pair of bird hunters found "Saltair Sally" in October 2000, all that was left were 26 bones, including the skull with waist-length brown hair and bad teeth, that had been scattered by predators, a T-shirt sized to a larger person and a distinctive choker-style necklace composed of three beaded strands.

Investigators quickly figured the woman was about 5 feet tall, between the ages of 17 and 21, but it was only recently they learned the woman moved frequently about the interior Northwest, possibly indicating she was a runaway teenager. Providing grist for a potential episode of CSI: Salt Lake, a U. research team believes it can map where a person has been recently by studying the isotopes in his or her hair. Salt Lake County sheriff's Detective Todd Park provided 20 strands of Saltair Sally's hair to U. biologist Jim Ehleringer and geologist Thure Cerling, who offer forensics services through their business IsoForensics.

"Because she had such long hair Jim was able to give two years of data on her," Park said. "It showed she traveled between Salt Lake and Great Falls [Mont.], to the eastern Washington to western Wyoming. The isotopes showed she moved every two months of her life."

Park is also having the victim's teeth analyzed to yield possibilities of where she grew up and the year of her birth. If the victim were a runaway, this information would be extra helpful because the region she grew up is where investigators should look for a corresponding missing-person report.

"Once I know where she grew up, I'll be able to saturate both geographic areas," Park said.

Salt Lake County investigators also are using the hair forensics to help identify a body, found wrapped up near the Great Salt Lake in October 1978. This victim, discovered by hunters on a beach, was a woman around 35 to 40 with long dark hair.

"Once this information gets out to law enforcement that you can tell where people have been from their hair, Jim and Thure might get pretty busy," Park said.

I'm confused by the hair on the reconstruction. The write up says she had waist-length hair, which obviously the reconstruction does not. Which then makes me question whether or not her hair was even curly? Or that shade?

This was the only possible I dug up in my 5 minute search. She seems to be the right size, the wide nose seems close, the dates are right. Maybe a little young, but with what they found of her, it's hard to say. Says her hair is "dark blonde", so I am not sure if that jives with the UID or not.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1625dfwy.html

I dont know for sure but my experience with my own very natural curly hair is.. That when it is wet/straight it is to my waist. When its curly, its all the way to just under my shoulders like the reconstruction shows. I wish they would say if the hair was curly or what. And arent thier ways to tell if hair is permed or natural? Woud be good information to know!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back