AZ - Joseph Beadle for feeding puppy to snake, Glendale, 2007

White Rain

Reaction score
Pouring cooking oil and that puppy so the snake could swallow it easier! What an inhumane person.

PHOENIX - A man who coated a 3-week-old puppy in cooking oil and then fed it to his pet boa constrictor was sentenced Thursday to 90 days in jail and two years probation, prosecutors said.
Joseph Beadle, 40, pleaded guilty to an animal cruelty charge in March. He has served 51 days of his jail sentence while the case was pending.
Beadle, of Glendale, faced up to a year in jail on the charge. (more @ link) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19234199/

Pouring cooking oil and that puppy so the snake could swallow it easier! What an inhumane person.

PHOENIX - A man who coated a 3-week-old puppy in cooking oil and then fed it to his pet boa constrictor was sentenced Thursday to 90 days in jail and two years probation, prosecutors said.
Joseph Beadle, 40, pleaded guilty to an animal cruelty charge in March. He has served 51 days of his jail sentence while the case was pending.
Beadle, of Glendale, faced up to a year in jail on the charge. (more @ link) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19234199/

what the hell is wrong with people ???????? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

What is the snake supposed to eat? Kibble? BocaMammals?
perhaps rats, mice etc, things raised for the feeding- or better yet, out in nature where they fend for themselves-- I am sure there could be alot of answers, but a live puppy just doesnt get it, in my opinion

Snakes eat rodents.

I hate this, I'm a dog-lover. How could you coat a cute little puppy in oil and feed it to an awful snake!!!???

Eve

Did you guys see at the end of the article it said investigators seized his snake after finding it was the victim of neglect? I wonder what he did to it or how it was neglected?

Sick, sick, sick.

Maybe he needs to be coated in oil and fed to a snake. :furious:

Snakes eat rodents.

I hate this, I'm a dog-lover. How could you coat a cute little puppy in oil and feed it to an awful snake!!!???

Eve

Hiya, Eve.

Believe me, snakes will eat anything!

I'm not trying to get flamed here, but what is the legal difference between feeding a puppy to a snake or feeding a rodent to a snake? Puppies are protected by the law, but rats/ferrets aren't? One is animal cruelty and the other is just feeding time at the zoo - what's the difference?

Just wondering....

I honestly don't know what to think about this...

I have a friend that runs a rescue group in Australia for rats these rats in many cases would become snake food. Keep in mind they were not breed as food as they were pets. Plenty of people have pet mice as well. Its not like there is one cage in the pet shop for "food" rats or mice and another for "pet" ones.

So I am not sure there is a big difference here. I am not saying its right but snakes do eat smaller creatures and I don't know if a hungry snake would not eat a puppy in the wild.

I think we all have a soft spot for puppies and not so much for rats, mice and snakes..
But I know plenty of people that love reptiles and rodents as pets.

I honestly don't know what to think about this...

I have a friend that runs a rescue group in Australia for rats these rats in many cases would become snake food. Keep in mind they were not breed as food as they were pets. Plenty of people have pet mice as well. Its not like there is one cage in the pet shop for "food" rats or mice and another for "pet" ones.

So I am not sure there is a big difference here. I am not saying its right but snakes do eat smaller creatures and I don't know if a hungry snake would not eat a puppy in the wild.

I think we all have a soft spot for puppies and not so much for rats, mice and snakes..
But I know plenty of people that love reptiles and rodents as pets.

This was what my previous post was touching on. When is it just "the cycle of life" and when is it punishable by law? Why are puppies protected and rats aren't?

I had two white rats as pets when I was younger and know several people who keep other rodents and reptiles as pets.

A boa in the wild would absolutely eat a puppy!

This was what my previous post was touching on. When is it just "the cycle of life" and when is it punishable by law? Why are puppies protected and rats aren't?

I had two white rats as pets when I was younger and know several people who keep other rodents and reptiles as pets.

A boa in the wild would absolutely eat a puppy!

I saw that after I posted...
That is exactly what I think too.
Why is the line drawn at rodents?
From what my friend says her rats are totally cognative and sweet.
Someone above mentioned ferrets..
We have a ferret for a pet and I would be heartbroken to think someone would feed a ferret to a snake.
I believe snakes also eat frogs.
They sell frogs as pets in the pet store as well... But had this guy fed a frog to his snake I am sure he would not be in jail.

I know we think Frog?? Rodent??? Ewwwww
But I think my ferret is just as darling as a puppy...
Do we just decide based on the cuteness of the pet?

I saw that after I posted...
That is exactly what I think too.
Why is the line drawn at rodents?
From what my friend says her rats are totally cognative and sweet.
Someone above mentioned ferrets..
We have a ferret for a pet and I would be heartbroken to think someone would feed a ferret to a snake.
I believe snakes also eat frogs.
They sell frogs as pets in the pet store as well... But had this guy fed a frog to his snake I am sure he would not be in jail.

I know we think Frog?? Rodent??? Ewwwww
But I think my ferret is just as darling as a puppy...
Do we just decide based on the cuteness of the pet?

We're on the same page here, to be certain. That's why I am very curious as to what the law it about. I've never heard animal cruelty laws detailed as to species - and it's always a jury call as to what constitutes cruelty.

In this country, puppies have our hearts more than rats, perhaps, but does that make them any more worthy of protection from cruelty.

Is it truly cruel to do this to a pup, and, if so, then why is it not equally cruel to do it to other critters?

Hiya, Eve.

Believe me, snakes will eat anything!

I'm not trying to get flamed here, but what is the legal difference between feeding a puppy to a snake or feeding a rodent to a snake? Puppies are protected by the law, but rats/ferrets aren't? One is animal cruelty and the other is just feeding time at the zoo - what's the difference?

Just wondering....

In the USA, dogs, cats, and some other animals are considered "domesticated," which is different than "tame." Domesticated animals fall under either misdemeanor laws or felony laws (which is the case in most states in the USA). It's a matter of law since rodents aren't domesticated they don't have laws. I'm sure there are animal rights' groups who try to get this type thinking changed but I'm only familiar with things involving dogs.

A puppy or most any other baby animal is defenseless and doesn't have much chance to run or evade a predator (particular a human one). Healthy adult animals usually at least have a fighting chance.

In the USA, dogs, cats, and some other animals are considered "domesticated," which is different than "tame." Domesticated animals fall under either misdemeanor laws or felony laws (which is the case in most states in the USA). It's just a matter of law since rodents aren't domesticated they don't have laws. I'm sure there are animal rights' groups who try to get this type thinking changed but I'm only familiar with things involving dogs.....

Thank you so much for explaining this, BOESP! :) Whether right or wrong, that makes sense. (ie - the difference netween "domesticated" and "tame.")

Thank you so much for explaining this, BOESP! :) Whether right or wrong, that makes sense. (ie - the difference netween "domesticated" and "tame.")

I have more problems with inhumane humans than any four-legged, two-legged (humans excluded), or legless creature I ever met!

My mantra is, "Write your Local, State, and Federal Official." They are interested in keeping their power and if you don't support keeping them in office, they will listen if enough people complain often enough.

It makes sense to me too ... Although I disagree as rats have been "domesticated" as pets and have been bred for generations in the care of humans.

I wonder what cirteria they used to define what is "tame" and what is Domestic?
I live in a place that has the largest population of ferral cats in North America.
They have been breeding for a very very long time in the wild and there is nothing domestic about them... Heck I don't even know how tame you could make one.
I am simply saying that I do not agree with the definition of the law as it seems to have been written with Bias and without much thought as to what the term domestication actually means.
Personally I could not feed a puppy to a snake but I don't think I could feed a rat to a snake either.

Now Hubby who had to care for snakes on exhibit did feed them and he says he could not feed one a puppy either.

It makes sense to me too ... Although I disagree as rats have been "domesticated" as pets and have been bred for generations in the care of humans.

I live in a place that has the largest population of ferral cats in North America.
They have been breeding for a very very long time in the wild and there is nothing domestic about them... Heck I don't even know how tame you could make one.
I am simply saying that I do not agree with the definition of the law as it seems to have been written with Bias and without much thought as to what the term domestication actually means.
Personally I could not feed a puppy to a snake but I don't think I could feed a rat to a snake either.

Now Hubby who had to care for snakes on exhibit did feed them and he says he could not feed one a puppy either.

I could feed any little critter to a snake - I am not bothered by that - but I am socially aware enough that I would stick to today's "accepted" live food for snacks...rats, etc...even though, as I said earlier, I had two tame rats as a kid that were way gentler than some feral cats I've come up against.

I wonder if this guy would have gotten in trouble if he fed the snake a feral kitten. What about bunnies - are they protected as domesticated? Also, where did he get the puppy from?

Domestication is the process of taming and training so that an animal breed has adapted to live in a human environment and whose main purpose is to be of use to human beings as companions -- they've lost most, if not all, of their original wild characteristics and purpose(s). Taming means the animal species may not have adapted to the point of being domesticated but that it no longer fears man.

It's really a point of law as far as what can be legally done to an animal.

Most people think of dogs and cats as domesticated in that their main purpose is for companionship of humans (yes, I know cats are a bit different ;)). An elephant or a cow can be tamed but their main purpose is not to serve man as a companion (although they can). Basically, it's a technicality.

My husband had pet rats when he was young and he loved them just like we now love our dogs.

I guess we could get down to discussing whether it's okay to kill a fly or not. I don't hesitate to kill flies in the house but I won't purposely kill a spider. :waitasec:

Domestication is the process of taming and training so that an animal breed has adapted to live in a human environment and whose main purpose is to be of use to human beings as companions -- they've lost most, if not all, of their original wild characteristics and purpose(s). Taming means the animal species may not have adapted to the point of being domesticated but that it no longer fears man.

It's really is a point of law as far as what can be legally done to an animal.

Most people think of dogs and cats as domesticated in that their main purpose is for companionship of humans (yes, I know cats are a bit different ;)). An elephant or a cow can be tamed but their main purpose is not to serve man as a companion (although they can). Basically, it's a technicality.

My husband had pet rats when he was young and he loved them just like we now love our dogs.

I guess we could get down to discussing whether it's okay to kill a fly or not. I don't hesitate to kill flies in the house but I won't purposely kill a spider. :waitasec:

Good for you...Spiders are good luck!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts
Back