GUILTY PA - Seven kids, ages 3-8, home alone, 5 die in fire, Pittsburgh, 12 June 2007

ajc2804

Reaction score
PITTSBURGH — Police investigating a row house fire that killed five small children earlier this week have determined that the youngsters had been left home alone and started the blaze when they were playing with matches.
There was no 17-year-old baby sitter looking after them, as authorities had originally been told.
Seven children ages 3 to 8 were left home by themselves, according to authorities. Five died and two 8-year-old boys escaped uninjured.
The fire, first reported at about 1:20 a.m. Tuesday, began when children playing with matches ignited furnishings in the living room on the second floor, officials said. The five children, who were found in an adjoining bedroom, died from smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide poisoning.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,282934,00.html

This is so sad and tragic. I hope the parents are charged with child abuse and endangerment.

I see that one of the mothers has already hired an attorney. So she has the money to hire an attorney but not a babysitter. :sick:

Oh my gosh, no wonder they couldn't find the babysitter!
What were those parents thinking!

From May 2008:

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/n...ced-to-1-to-2-year-terms/stories/200805230178

Telling two mothers they had traded the lives of five of their children for "a couple of beers and some cigarettes"... Judge David R. Cashman sentenced Furaha T. Love, 26, of Hazelwood, and Shakita Mangham, 26, of Verona, to one to two years in state prison plus five years' probation. He mandated drug and alcohol treatment, mental health evaluations and parenting classes...

They pleaded no contest in February to reduced charges. Ms. Love, who lost two sons, Azequel Rankin, 5, and Andre Rankin, 6, in the fire, pleaded to two counts of involuntary manslaughter. Ms. Mangham, who lost three children, Daekia Holyfield, 7, Dezekiah Holyfield, 3, and Cedano Holyfield, 4, pleaded to three counts of involuntary manslaughter and one count of false reports...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back