Nifong Disbarred - What next?

guera

Reaction score
So Nifong has been disbarred (YAY). What happens next? Does somebody appoint the new DA? Is there another election? Is there ANY chance that Freda Black is back in the mix?

Is there ANY chance that Freda Black is back in the mix?
Now THAT would be the perfect justice for Nifong. IMO, Black should never have been let go in the first place. Imagine what a slap in the face it would be if she would now get his old job while he can no longer even practice law.

So Nifong has been disbarred (YAY). What happens next? Does somebody appoint the new DA? Is there another election? Is there ANY chance that Freda Black is back in the mix?

The gov. will appoint one, then in 2008 durham voters will elect for a 2 year term, and in 2010, an election for the full 4 years

No word on the streets about who will be appointed...

Boy, I hope it could be Freda, but my guess is that since she was let go, that would'nt be able to happen. But I suppose she could run for the office in 2008, right?

I think I'm glad he didn't push this case...it would've been Nifong'd. Now they can get someone who can get the job done and get an arrest in this case.

I wonder how busy the new DA is going to be once appointed? Will he/she have time in the near future to look at Janet's case?

I wonder how busy the new DA is going to be once appointed? Will he/she have time in the near future to look at Janet's case?

Maybe if he/she is made aware of Janet's case...we might have to plan our next strategy.

Governor Easly is interviewing for an interim DA. I pray very hard that he makes his choice very carefully. I also pray that he does not make any gentlemen handshakes and does not make the same mistake of putting a stipulation on the DA (okay, you can be DA but no running for DA in the future). That was a grave mistake that I am sure the Governor is really kicking himself over.

Hopefully the new DA will come in and get to business and has no grudges against any of the other employees.

I do not think Freda Black will be put into this position because of the grudge factor during running for office, though chances are great she would have won the elections had it not been for the tactics that DA Nifong used to win the election, mainly inciting racial tensions and using the Duke case for his own personal gain.

I am sure that they will do a thorough check of whomever the Governor appoints as acting DA and hopefully Durham, North Carolina can get back into prosecuting cases the way they are meant to be done, with honesty and integrity.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/06/16/ap3827642.html

Duke Prosecutor Says He Will Resign
By AARON BEARD 06.16.07, 3:09 AM ET

~~ clip

Gov. Mike Easley, who appointed Nifong to the job in 2005 and will be called on to pick his replacement, declined to comment. Freda Black, a former Durham county assistant prosecutor whom Nifong beat in last year's elections, cheered his decision and said Friday she wants the job.

http://news14.com/content/headlines/583785/durham-residents-react-to-nifong-disbarment/Default.aspx

Durham reacts to Nifong disbarment

Updated: 06/18/2007 07:55 AM

By: Kenneth Moton

~~ clip

Nifong's attorney said he expects his client will put together his resignation letter this coming week. Then, it will be up to the governor to appoint an acting D.A. to serve in his place.

So far, Nifong's former colleague and election challenger from last year, Freda Black, has put her name in the hat for the governor's consideration for an appointment.

:clap:

Oh that's just wonderful!! I really admire her and she did such a great job on the Peterson east case.

I think Freda Black would make a wonderful District Attorney.

I really hope that she gets the position, as the election should have been hers, the way I see it, but.....what's past is just that.

Durham needs to move forward and with someone that can handle the job, it would be nice to see Freda Black in the position of District Attorney, I just wonder if Governor Easley will choose her because of the issues she had with Nifong, the resignation and any issues during the primary elections including the current staff.

Here's hoping that that they get someone in there knowledgeable, trustworthy and soon.

WRAL

Easley Names Durham's Ex-DA to Replace Nifong

Posted: Today at 11:18 a.m.
Updated: 6 minutes ago

Raleigh — Gov. Mike Easley has appointed Mike Nifong's predecessor to take over temporarily as Durham's district attorney, his office announced Wednesday afternoon.

Superior Court Judge Jim Hardin agreed, at Easley's request, to fill the vacancy created by Nifong's suspension, which came one day after the disbarred prosecutor announced he would resign from office next month.

~~ clip

WOW......and to think DA Jim Harden left office to become a Judge and District Attorney Nifong was appointed on April 18, 2005 and sworn into that position on April 27, 2005, the day after Janet was murdered.

Well.....maybe we can *get back on track soon.

(ummm edited to say - Nifong is leaving "next month".......disbarred is disbarred isn't it like immediate?

WOW......and to think DA Jim Harden left office to become a Judge and District Attorney Nifong was appointed on April 18, 2005 and sworn into that position on April 27, 2005, the day after Janet was murdered.

Well.....maybe we can back on track soon.

(ummm edited to say - Nifong is leaving "next month".......disbarred is disbarred isn't it like immediate?

The Daily Tar Heel

~~ clipped

During his testimony, Nifong announced that he would resign as district attorney effective July 13, regardless of the outcome of his disciplinary hearing.

But that wasn't fast enough for Durham County Judge Orlando Hudson, who ordered Nifong's office keys and access card seized after the State Bar found the prosecutor guilty of ethics violations and revoked his law license.

Expect a lawsuit from the Duke players next for Nifong. They need to try to recoup their millions spent on lawyers, etc. He can legally be sued.

I would suspect the new DA is going to be too busy handling appeals by those convicted under Nifong's watch, just in case he withheld evidence in those trials too. And rightfully so.

Well it's a good thing that an arrest hasn't been made as of yet on this case or we would have been facing issues too. Sometimes things happen for reasons, and luckily we won't have to deal with this on Janet's case.

There's no arrest yet, but there will be and I'm glad that Durham is going to get the DA situation sorted out and now there will be no taint on Janet's case.

LE keeping dotting and crossing, and keep accumulating what you can....someday Janet's murderer will be going to trial and be where he belongs....:behindbar behind bars.

Well it's a good thing that an arrest hasn't been made as of yet on this case or we would have been facing issues too. Sometimes things happen for reasons, and luckily we won't have to deal with this on Janet's case.

There's no arrest yet, but there will be and I'm glad that Durham is going to get the DA situation sorted out and now there will be no taint on Janet's case.

LE keeping dotting and crossing, and keep accumulating what you can....someday Janet's murderer will be going to trial and be where he belongs....:behindbar behind bars.

From your keyboard to God's PC Trix.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10