Survey: 4,450 priests accused of sex abuse

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
NEW YORK (CNN) -- Children accused more than 4,000 priests of sexual abuse between 1950 and 2002, according to a draft survey for the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.

The survey, to be released February 27, found that children made more than 11,000 allegations of sexual abuse by priests. The 4,450 accused priests represent about 4 percent of the 110,000 priests who served during the 52 years covered by the study.

The report is based on a nationwide survey of church records, and was compiled by the John Jay College of Criminal Justice for the conference. The bishops' conference commissioned the survey to get a better understanding of the scope of the crisis.

CNN reviewed a draft copy of the survey. Officials said it may be slightly changed before its release.

More than half of the accused priests had only one allegation against them. Nearly 25 percent, or 1,112 priests, had two or three allegations, and almost 13 percent, or 578 priests, had four to nine allegations, according to the draft report. Nearly 3 percent, or 133 of the priests, had 10 or more allegations.

The report said that 6,700 of the 11,000 allegations were investigated and substantiated, and another 1,000 were unsubstantiated. The remaining 3,300 were not investigated because the priests involved had died by the time the allegation was made.

Article from CNN
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/02/16/church.abuse/index.html

Cass,
I live near Albany,NY and right now we are in the middle of a big scandal with the Bishop. There are claims that he was involved in a homosexual "ring" with other priests. Another priest was found dead yesterday and supposedly it was suicide,but my very close friend is this priests cousin and she said they think he was murdered. Its all very weird and it reminds me of a suspense novel. i will keep you posted as I am calling my friend in the morning. She emailed me tonight with the murder thing. I believe if you go to the local paper,www.timesunion.com. there will be info about this case. Click on the local section.

I have some 'issues' with the catholic church... I grew up catholic and went to catholic schools... the priests gave me the creeps.. all of them.

I just sensed something was wrong, I am totally distrustful of the church, the coverups, the enabling, the turning a blind eye...

Let me know what is going on with your local case... I bet this is a fraction of the perverts the church attracts to prey on it's children under the guise of priesthood.

there is a special place in hell for every priest who raped boys and girls, ruined their lives.. there is an even more special place for the conpiracy at it's highest level that keeps it quiet and allows it to continue.

Casshew--

There may be some very slight excuse for the perverts in that they have a problem (notice I said very slight excuse), but those who did the coverup have no excuse at all, in my eyes. I too grew up Catholic and fully understand how these things could have happened. When I was a child, if a priest spoke to you it was a big deal. We thought way too highly of them, but so did many adults. I still have respect for the office, but realize the individuals may not deserve the respect. Cardinal Law was the first to go, and many others should follow him out the door and in some cases into prison.

You are right, the corruptness in the church to coverup and enable the abuse to continue is evil and disgusting. They had a chance to protect those who needed protection and help those who needed help and instead hushed it all over as not to affect their worldwide collection plate.

This has been going on for decades and decades... don't they realize how many lives were destroyed and how many people were put on the path to repest the cycle of abuse when they became adults themselves, creating new victims and potentially new abusers.. they cycle never ends.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj
Back