Troops Discover Iraqi Orphanage Nightmare

ajc2804

Reaction score
Absolutely heartbreaking!!

It was a scene that shocked battle-hardened soldiers, captured in photographs given to CBS News.

On a daytime patrol in central Baghdad just over a week ago, a U.S. military advisory team and Iraqi soldiers happened to look over a wall and found something horrific.

"They saw multiple bodies laying on the floor of the facility," Staff Sgt. Mitchell Gibson of the 82nd Airborne Division told CBS News chief foreign correspondent Lara Logan. "They thought they were all dead, so they threw a basketball (to) try and get some attention, and actually one of the kids lifted up there head, tilted it over and just looked and then went back down. And they said, 'oh, they're alive' and so they went into the building.”

Inside the building, a government-run orphanage for special needs children, the soldiers found emaciated little bodies tied to the cribs, CBS News reports exclusively. They had been kept this way for more than a month, according to the soldiers called in to rescue the dying boys.

"I saw children that you could see literally every bone in their body that were so skinny, they had no energy to move whatsoever, no expression on their face,” Staff Sgt. Michael Beal said.

**Much more + video at link**

http://cbs5.com/topstories/topstories_story_169185222.html

Oh my gosh. This is horrendous. I hate to say it, but I'm sure this isn't the only country dealing with orphans and special-needs children in this manner.

My prayers are for those children and the soldiers that found them. :(

From the article:
This is a tough test for the Iraqi government: How a nation cares for its most vulnerable is one of the most important benchmarks for the health of any society.
So true!! Human life seems to be so disposable in that part of the world.

What's really sad is that they (the Iraqi gov) will not allow these children to be adopted and taken out of the country.

Horrific. I once saw a stray dog like that covered in flies and the dog was very much alive but obviously suffering.

I watched the video, that is so sad. I don't know how they could run the place like that. They had brand new clothes, shelves stocked with food, and they treated those children horribly.

From the article:

So true!! Human life seems to be so disposable in that part of the world.

The hell, upon hell this children have been through is unspeakable. I can not bring myself to watch the video.

Unfortunately, it seems like human life is so disposible in every part of the world!! It just makes me sick. :(

Thank god they found all those poor babies in time...

The video is hard to watch, but they do show these children in a different orphanage where they are bathed, clothed and fed..in the video it also states that it seems all these children wanted was to be around people more then anything.

I cried and cried while I watched this and for a few minutes after. I just thank GOD our wonderful soldiers were able to find them and get them out of there..It's disgusting the way those poor little boys were being treated & if I could I would adopt one in a heartbeat.

very sad:(

amazing though, how well they're doing now in the other facility....

ETA: the "caretaker" from the other facility should be tied to a railing & starved to death....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back