Alternate cord source

why_nutt

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I just came back from a visit to Target. While there, I was to buy some throws for the furniture. One of the items I bought was this:

http://s92053900.onlinehome.us/cordonthrow1.jpg

So, whereas I had not been before, today I am now educated in the fact that cord is used as a decorative packaging element for throws. This particular brand was a Woolrich Jacquard Berber throw, and I can find other examples online of this packaging technique. The cord on my purchase is not nylon as the ligature was, but the simple fact of cord being used in connection with throws does open the door for an explanation of how a length of cord could be in a house, yet not yield up the rest of the roll. I now have a length of cord. If it were to be used to strangle someone, nobody searching through my house would find the rest of it, ever. Does that mean an intruder brought it in? Of course not.

One end of the cord used for the garrote had a "finished" end. The cord used to bind the wrists did not have a finished end.

No other pieces of the cord were found.

The one "finished" end demonstrates that the cord used on JonBenét was either from the beginning or the end of a package of cord.

LovelyPigeon said:
One end of the cord used for the garrote had a "finished" end. The cord used to bind the wrists did not have a finished end.

No other pieces of the cord were found.

The one "finished" end demonstrates that the cord used on JonBenét was either from the beginning or the end of a package of cord.

Sorry LP, but it appears there were no "finished" ends on the cords. The cord on the wrists had two frayed ends, and the cord around the neck and stick had one frayed end at the slip knot at the neck and the other end tucked out of sight into the massive knot wrapped around the stick. Unless the knot has been undone, no one knows whether that end is finished or frayed.

The cord had been identified as white 1/4" Stansport brand camping cord sold in the sporting goods isle of the huge McGuckins Hardware Store in Boulder. It came wholesale from California and sold in 50' and 100' packages. About 5' of cord was used on JonBenet by the killer. The whereabouts of the balance of the cord is unknown.

JMO

BlueCrab said:

The cord had been identified as white 1/4" Stansport brand camping cord sold in the sporting goods isle of the huge McGuckins Hardware Store in Boulder...

JMO

BC, help me here. I get a bit lost when when it comes to the whole McGuckin's affair.

Did John, in fact, call the store after the murder to verify receipts and to get information about items Patsy may or may not have purchased there???

Or, did that all turn out to be an over-zealous reporter impersonating JR?

I have read different accounts, but I don't remember what 'really' happened...

Why-nutt, great work!! It looks to me to be very close to the same type of cord...

WolfmarsGirl said:
BC, help me here. I get a bit lost when when it comes to the whole McGuckin's affair.

Did John, in fact, call the store after the murder to verify receipts and to get information about items Patsy may or may not have purchased there???

Or, did that all turn out to be an over-zealous reporter impersonating JR?

I have read different accounts, but I don't remember what 'really' happened...

Why-nutt, great work!! It looks to me to be very close to the same type of cord...

Wolfie: The call to McGuckins was a ruse.

Why Nut: Can't tell for sure, but the cord on the sofa throw from Target appears to be round and twisted strand. The cord on JonBenet was flat and braided.

JMO

In the search warrant on the house in Boulder, one thing that is listed is string from a sled, I believe is how it is put.
I've often wondered if that cord did not somehow come from the that purpose: the sled. It was winter, they had snow - maybe the kids drug the old sled out and needed the string to pull it and THAT is why Patsy went to the hardware store and bought it.
Did they compare that sled string to the cord around her neck and wrists?

And we in the public do not know just what they may have discovered regarding that cord. I remember reading on one of the forums once that when they took apart the toilets they found the tape and perhaps the cord (can't remember for sure on that one) remnants in the pipes where an attempt had been made to flush them down. Perhaps that is true and they have not revealed that piece of information to the public. Who knows.

I believe the tape and the cord DID come from that house as did all the other elements used in the crime. You could find pieces of cord and tape in my house I'm sure and not be able to locate the "rolls" they originally came from.

The question of the origin of the tape and cord rolls/package takes on much less significance when you look at the entire picture and facts and circumstances of this crime that point directly to the perp being one that LIVED in the home. There are always circumstances in a crime that cannot be explained or don't seem to "fit". But when the OTHER circumstances are so obvious - you may just have to say perhaps we'll never KNOW about the cord and tape's origins and chalk it up to a "mystery" in the crime.

Many moons ago (not related to Brothermoon) - I read there were fibers found on a brick in the fireplace. Don't know anything else about the fibers - but it stuck in my head - as the fireplace could certainly have been used.

TLynn, I remember your post of a while back in which you brought up the fact that a fiber of some sort had been found on fireplace brick, and that the brick had been taken into evidence. That started me wondering too. What kind of fiber was found? Was the fiber scorched? Were there indications that the fireplace had been used recently...say, on the night of December 25th or in the wee hours of the 26th? Wish we knew!

IMO

Perhaps you haven't seen both sides of the garrote handle's knot. The finished end is obvious.

I believe Smit may have also mentioned it in one of the documentaries, but I haven't looked for the reference. The photo of the "other side" of the knot was released by Smit.

http://www.geocities.com/lovelypigeon/neck_photos_garrote.html

There were fibers from the cord found on the sheets on JonBenét's bed. Those fibers don't qualify as other lengths of cord. There was no matching cord found in the house, on the grounds, or in the cars belonging to the Ramseys.

Ivy, ST reports in his book that the fireplace ashes were sifted, to be sure no evidence had been burned.

I don't recall any fiber report on the brick (listed on the evidence inventory)--indicating that the brick and what was thought to be fiber didn't pan out as evidence. ST mentions the brick in his book as part of the police search for a bludgeon and for a source of dark fibers on the body.

There was fiber from the basement carpet on a golfclub found outside the butler pantry's door.

LovelyPigeon said:
There were fibers from the cord found on the sheets on JonBenét's bed. Those fibers don't qualify as other lengths of cord. There was no matching cord found in the house, on the grounds, or in the cars belonging to the Ramseys.

I can say the same. There are cord fibers to be found on the throw I bought from Target and the bed I put it on. But there will be no fibers found elsewhere in the house, or on my property, or in the car I used to transport it, because when it was in the car, it was inside a plastic bag which has been thrown away. And since the length of cord was a standalone piece, no roll will be found. Does that mean the cord I photographed in my own home does not belong to me?

Were both ends of your length of cord finished, why_nutt? That is the point I am trying to make.

The single finished end of the cord used on JonBenét indicates it is either the beginning or the end of cord from a package. No other cord pieces were found in the house--only loose fibers on JonBenét's bed (as far as we know). The rest of the cord was never found.

Do kids still string their own lacrosse sticks?
I know they can use flat nylon(shoestring type) or the more netted kind along with leather,and the knots they use..aren't they "hitch knots"? Maybe we should be looking for a neighborhood lacrosse player ?
IMO

LovelyPigeon said:
Were both ends of your length of cord finished, why_nutt? That is the point I am trying to make.

The single finished end of the cord used on JonBenét indicates it is either the beginning or the end of cord from a package. No other cord pieces were found in the house--only loose fibers on JonBenét's bed (as far as we know). The rest of the cord was never found.

Neither end was finished, but what of it? By definition, at least two people in the world have received finished ends with their throws, given that the cord does not come off an infinite loop with no beginning and no end. It may be the luck of the draw that in a world where millions of feet of cord have been sold attached to millions of packages of items, one single finished end made its way into the Ramsey household and is of no more significance to the actual crime than is the particular brand of bowl containing the pineapple. You know full well, you know it, that no jury in the world is going to have a photograph of the finished end of the cord brought before them by a defense lawyer who will shout "Aha! See? This finished end proves my client is innocent!" anymore than a prosecutor will shout "Aha! See? This finished end proves the defendant is guilty!" This will not happen.

The cord was thought to be purchased at McGuckins Hardware by Patsy Ramsey, however; Masked Man (Frank Coffman) alerted Steve Thomas that he found the same type of cord at a Army Surplus store. Steve bought the entire store out but I do not recall if he said it was a match.

There are several theories as to where the cord could have come off of in the house and one theory is that the cord was removed from a painting of Patsy's along with the strip of black duct tape. The picture in question was unfortunately removed by Pam Paugh on her looting trip to the home.

IMO

I'm a BDIer because of the obvious coverup being orchestrated by the Ramseys to protect Burke, but there's something about the cord and tape that should be acknowledged -- the likelihood that these two items came from the house is low. The probability that the killer brought the cord and tape into the house is high because the BALANCE of these items were not found in the house.

Only about 5' of the Transport brand 1/4" flat nylon cord, which is sold in 50' and 100' packages, was used in the murder. That means approximately 45' or 95' of the cord from the package is unacounted for. But not even one piece of the cord, used or unused, was found in the house.

The likelihood of the Shurtape brand of black duct tape having been brought into the house that night is even more convincing. The only way duct tape can be stored is on the heavy-duty spool it was wound around at the factory. If even a short piece of duct tape is torn off the spool it will tangle and stick to itself unless very carefully handled. It must be taken from the spool and immediately used. It can't be transported unless on the spool. Yet, the cops tore into walls, emptied the neighbors' garbage cans, and tore up toilets looking for the spool or pieces of it -- all to no avail. The spool of tape was not in the house and was gone.

I think there was a fifth person in the house that night. It's the only reasonable explanation for the missing cord and tape and several other crime scene items of evidence.

JMO

BC, I disagree that the absence of the items indicates that a 5th person was in the house that night. Have you forgotten that John, Patsy, and Burke were not searched when they left the house on the 26th? Patsy could have removed the items all by herself, in her purse. And don't forget Auntie Pam's famous sweep of the house. She could have removed evidence without even knowing it, just by picking up things the Ramseys asked for.

IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back