Texas Sex Offender Honored As "Doctor Of The Day"

White Rain

Reaction score
AUSTIN — A Fort Worth doctor twice honored by the Texas House of Representatives as the "doctor of the day" is a registered sex offender convicted of an illicit relationship with a 17-year-old.
Dr. Nilon Tallant, 75, was introduced by lawmakers at the Capitol in 2006 and again in January of this year's legislative session, even though one legislator said he'd warned others about the physician's past sex offense after his first appearance .
"I don't think anybody that's a convicted sex offender should have a medical license in Texas. Period," said Republican Rep. Phil King, who introduced Tallant in the House chamber in April 2006. Tallant now lives in King's district, but King said he doesn't know Tallant well.
King said he found out "through the grapevine" after Tallant's first appearance in the House chamber that the doctor was a sex offender. He said he passed that information on to the House speaker's office and the medical association that screens doctors for the duty.
Tallant used to practice medicine in the San Marcos area, which is where the conviction occurred. He did not answer a call placed by The Associated Press to his home phone listing. (more at link)
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,286179,00.html

Wonder how many people held their heads and said "I can't believe it. A Doctor! Who knew?" Another example that these sex offenders come from all walks of life. As far as his record making him exempt from getting that award that's another thing. They'll be hashing that out way after he is deceased.

Sounds like a typical act of the Lege. I started to say I can't believe he was honored TWICE when someone tried to warn them, but I CAN believe it!!!

Boy, I really miss Molly Ivins right now.

Wonder how many people held their heads and said "I can't believe it. A Doctor! Who knew?" Another example that these sex offenders come from all walks of life. As far as his record making him exempt from getting that award that's another thing. They'll be hashing that out way after he is deceased.

The Hippocratic Oath implies “do no harm". I think this applies to the personal realm as well as the professional, though some may disagree. Oath fact vs. fiction.

You're absolutely correct; this is such a landmark situation that it will endure. Interesting to see how our opinions will change as we learn more about pedophilia.

Crypto6

The Hippocratic Oath implies “do no harm". I think this applies to the personal realm as well as the professional, though some may disagree. Oath fact vs. fiction.

You're absolutely correct; this is such a landmark situation that it will endure. Interesting to see how our opinions will change as we learn more about pedophilia.

Crypto6

Sexual assault of a minor will always be heinous to me, regardless if it is cloaked under the "diagnosis" of pedophilia or not. I could be schooled in the subject of pedophilia by the most astute professors, and my opinion on pedophiles will NEVER change--scum of the Earth. And, call me closed-minded, but I would never want to be around those who opinions do change. The day opinions change about this is a sad day for the world.

Sexual assault of a minor will always be heinous to me, regardless if it is cloaked under the "diagnosis" of pedophilia or not. I could be schooled in the subject of pedophilia by the most astute professors, and my opinion on pedophiles will NEVER change--scum of the Earth. And, call me closed-minded, but I would never want to be around those who opinions do change. The day opinions change about this is a sad day for the world.

:clap: What are we supposed to do, suddenly understand why or what makes them tick, and feel sorry for them? We should feel sorry for the kids, whose lives will be forever ruined by these monsters.

I see a pendulum of responsibility, followed by victim-of-nature explanations, back and forth until the time comes we can fix these compulsions for which these guys are willing to die. Until then, they can't be allowed out in the real world, where there are children. Period.

Now, for a weirder look at this, think of pedophilia as a virus. It infects one generation, which abuses its children, who grow to be abusers. I'll look to see what data is available on how many pedos were victimized themselves; from my skim reading, it’s quite high. If this is the case, one generation of "quarantine" should slow this chain immensely.

Cryptp6

:clap: What are we supposed to do, suddenly understand why or what makes them tick, and feel sorry for them? We should feel sorry for the kids, whose lives will be forever ruined by these monsters.

Whether we feel sorry for them or not, they get put where they can't repeat offend, ever. Then we continue to try to find what makes them tick.
They are a spectrum from amoral victimizers who see no reason to stop to guys tormented every hour by urges they know are wrong but ultimately can't supress without help. Despise or pity any of that spectrum, but keep them away from kids!

The "least restrictive environment" efforts in mental health has made it hard to keep these guys locked away, aided by a lack of understanding by the legal system of the ultra high failure rate of introducing them back into society, and the fact that some of our higher ups are pedos themselves.

We both want the same thing: kids protected from these guys, even at the cost of the pedo's freedom.

Thanks for the reply.

Crypto6

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆