OR OR - William 'Michael' Nored, 35, Portland, 26 Feb 1976

csaling

Reaction score
A few years ago I found out that A friend of mine was murdered in February of 1976 (on or around February 26th) . in Portland, Oregon. The police told the family it was drug related or a gay bashing, it was brutal. He was 8 years older than I am, I was his step sisters best friend. I meet him only once, he was a wonderful person. The family did not pursure the investigation into the murder of this wonderful person. (Embarassement because they really didn't know him).

I am new to this website and don't know how to revive this cold case. The family, as often happens, faded from the investigation, they didn't want to know. I think that Michael deserves justice. At 13 I was very attaced to this young man (he was 8 years older), he was attacted to me, his family forbid us to have future contact (age difference). He may have been gay, he may have been involved in drugs, he may have lived in the wrong place, all I know is that he was a very special person and I can't forget him. With all of the advances in DNA there should be new evidence. Did the police make an error, invade his home and kill him? Was it a drug deal gone wrong? What really happened to Michael Nored? Please help me resolve this crime. It haunts me. How do I get things moving forward? Thank you for your help.

I tried doing a Google search which turned up nothing.

Do you have any more information about him or about what happened? I will try to check some newspaper archives, etc in the PDX area.

I wish I had more information. I know it was a brutal crime. I know it was around February 26, 1976. I Have done several searches and have found nothing. I don't think the family even put an obit in the paper. They were shocked, didn't know anything about drugs, or that he might have been gay. The were embarassed and didn't push things. His fathers name was William S. Nored. Michael's name may have been William Michael or Michael William Nored. His father lived in Corvallis, Oregon. He was divorced from Mike's mother. Her name may have been Barbara. I was just a kid and don't have much information. He haunts me, I need to know what happened. I don't believe he was gay or involved in drugs, but what does a 13 year old know.

Hey there - pm'd you about trying to search Oregonian archives with no luck.

Incidentally, I'm in Corvallis, so may be able to poke around a bit. Even if is someone is gay or involved with drugs, they do not deserve to be murdered or forgotten in such a manner. That is so sad. I wonder if you might be able to get a police report - do you know if the murder took place in Portland?

It looks like his parents are deceased:
These obits were in the Albany Democrat Herald:

Barbara Jo Nored {2005 [Jan.-Dec.] ADH} 35:338

Francis C. Nored {2002 [Jul.-Dec.] ADH} 30:152

William S. Nored {1999 [Jan.-June] ADH} 24:11 (died Jan 5, 1999)

Social Security Death Index also lists a William Nored who died in Oregon in Feb 1976. DOB: 5/19/40

Could he have been using a different last name (maybe his mother's maiden name)? The death index shows 3 possibilities for a William or Michael born in 1955 and death February 1976 in Oregon.

Hey there - pm'd you about trying to search Oregonian archives with no luck.

Incidentally, I'm in Corvallis, so may be able to poke around a bit. Even if is someone is gay or involved with drugs, they do not deserve to be murdered or forgotten in such a manner. That is so sad. I wonder if you might be able to get a police report - do you know if the murder took place in Portland?

If someone is new to the site, he or she might not know about Private Messages, e.g., what you mean by "pm'd" you. CSaling, look at the top right of your screen and you will see a link that says "Private Messages." That is how we communicate when we want to ask questions, etc. that might reveal private information. I haven't been around all that long and I am still learning how the site works. I still remember how shocked I was when someone sent me a private message! Ask questions if you need to--people here are nice about answering. And good luck with your search. It's nice that your friend lives on in your memory and your interest in what happened to him.

If someone is new to the site, he or she might not know about Private Messages, e.g., what you mean by "pm'd" you. CSaling, look at the top right of your screen and you will see a link that says "Private Messages." That is how we communicate when we want to ask questions, etc. that might reveal private information. I haven't been around all that long and I am still learning how the site works. I still remember how shocked I was when someone sent me a private message! Ask questions if you need to--people here are nice about answering. And good luck with your search. It's nice that your friend lives on in your memory and your interest in what happened to him.

Thanks Pittsburghgirl - csaling is on the ball, though...she PM'd me first!! :D

Please help Michael Nored was found beaten to death in his Portland, Oregon residence. He would have been around 34/35 when he was murdered. I recently found out from his sister that to their knowledge this has never been solved. I've done several web searches with no results. Can anyone tell me who I can call or a website I can access. This is a very special young man. I need to know how to re-open this case.

Thank you.

Please help. Michael Nored (could be Michel William Nored or William Michael Nored. Beaten to death in Portland Oregon in February 1976. I am new to this type of search. Where do I go to find out about/re-open a cold case file? He was my best friends step brother. The family has no closer. Neither do I. He was a special young man. 34/35 when he was beaten to death. I've searched, but can't find anything. Please help, if you can. Thank you for your help.

You'd need new evidence to have a cold case reopened, if you think you have something you should contact the LE agency who originally investigated the case which would likely be Portland PD or Multnomah Sheriff. New evidence may consist in information that was available at the time of the investigation but wasn't forwarded to detectives for whatever reason or information that have surfaced after the case went cold.

This is important to me. My hunch is that this was a Drug bust gone wrong. There were no signs of drugs. Michael was brutally beaten to death. I believe that the police were involved in his death. Michael had been estranged from his family since 1962. I was 13 he was 21. He was forbidden to contact me & there was no internet to bring us together. Yes, I was too young to know which end was up but to be denied the beginning & end of a relationship always leaves something unfinished.
The police told his family they thought it might have been about drugs. No sign of drugs were found (according to the family) The also said it may have been a gay bashing (Michael was slight of build, my 34 year old son is also slight of build, has a six year old daughter, is slight of build & has never been married). I don't care if he was gay. I just know we connected and I can still smell his cologne. Silly I know. I just need to know. Thank you for any help you might be able to give me. Michael Nored was murdered in Februay 1976.

Not sure I can help much, but I understand what you are going through. When I was a "kid" the son of a close family friend was murdered, a family I just adored as a child. His father made me feel more special than anyone I recall as a child.... and in some way that feeling for me too has never left. - Father and son were both Chicago PD.... Son was found in the trunk of a car on NY's eve, had to have been 20 years ago. The murder was never solved, and I was never able to find anything online, not even in archives. The father, ended up committing suicide years later....... The last time I saw him was at his sons wake.

and it's not like I can suddenly call anyone in his family after 20 years. My mother knows, and still keeps in touch with the family on occasion ( she knew the family since she was a teen), and she is not the type to ask.... I'd feel silly calling his daughters after all this time.

I did post here, his name was Jeffery Kaiser. I haven't actually gone to any Chicago libraries.... or inquired further. I suppose I could....... but haven't made the time. I will one day........

I hope you find the answers you are looking for.....

It is important that you reach out and try to find the answers. Don't let anything emotional or otherwise stop you. Life is too short to forget those who made a difference in our lives. Justice is important to all of us. It is such a rare thing. Reach out, do what you can. Inaction is never an options. We may not find the truth but at least we can search for it.

Cubby, you should contact the family. There is nothing silly about being concerned. Either they will welcome your call or they won't. The worst thinkg that could happen is you will be right where you are now Go for it and if you want to look into it, I'll see what I can find if you want some help.

Thanks for the encouragement. I think I will write one of the daughters.
I'll keep everyone posted ( on the thread I originally started ).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back